PDA

View Full Version : The Cougs, Dick Bennett, and Defense

Bow Man
03-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Article about the Cougs' defense in the Seattle PI.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/356288_coug25.html

Some highlights:

"The difference between Bennett's defense and others is the emphasis placed on it and energy put into it. His had to outwork everyone else's."

"It's not natural to want to lay it on the line," he said. "That's where the motivation comes in. Sometimes it's easy to just let it go when things aren't going well. That's something that can't happen."

"It was hard at the beginning because a lot of kids came out of zone programs and were never asked to play intensely on defense," he said. "They were scorers and didn't want to get into foul trouble."

"The Cougars are very good now, ranking second in the nation in points allowed (56.1 per game), trailing only Bennett's previous coaching stop, Wisconsin (53.9)."

cggonzaga
03-26-2008, 07:58 AM
I've been fortunate enough to be able to attend of few of the Bennett's practices. Great coaches and even better men. Defense is a religion for these guys and they have it down pat. I learned more in hour fifteen minute sessions than I've ever learned about basketball. Every coach on that staff will take time to talk with you and answer any questions you have. I personally have great respect for their staff if it's not obvious.