PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cougs-Heels Predictions

BobZag
03-25-2008, 05:10 PM
This will be moved to the General Basketball Board soon, but to get it going I thought I'd start it here.

Okay, who wins Thursday afternoon?

WSU?
UNC?

I'm going to predict WSU wins this. I think UNC will think they just have to walk onto the court to win, and that'll be a fatal mistake. WSU's defense will slow UNC, frustrate UNC and lead to crazy rushed shots. UNC has been scoring at will. To face a complete reversal of that, I think throws UNC off their game to the point where they're in trouble. WSU won't win by much, but I think they will win.

You?

GoZags
03-25-2008, 05:20 PM
59-54 Wzzu

gamagin
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
and that may be all they need.

If Baynes plays like he did against ND, anything can happen. He and Cowgill really did take charge underneath.

BroncoZAG615
03-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Carolina is way too hot right now to be stopped I think.

I don't think they will be able to match up with UNC based on pure athleticism. Ellington is been hot and Lawson is playing great at the point.

That being said, WSU is equally as hot but I think Carolina's top game is better than WSU's.

Whoever can set the tempo wins, WSU has been good at this but I don't see Carolina being stopped this year.

UNC by 7-10

CDC84
03-25-2008, 05:50 PM
If the game were being played in Salt Lake City, I might be inclined to go with Wazzu, but because the game is in Charlotte, I am going with UNC.

I like Louisville to beat Tennessee even more than I like UNC to beat Wazzu.

kyle dixon
03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I think I read a stat that UNC is 23-1 in NCAA tournament games played in NC as a #1 seed. I think the Cougs have the ability to slow down the game a bit, but their team depth catches up with them as they get in to a bit of foul trouble trying to contain Hansborough and Lawson. I say the Heels by 8.

Birddog
03-25-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm going to predict WSU wins this. I think UNC will think they just have to walk onto the court to win, and that'll be a fatal mistake. WSU's defense will slow UNC, frustrate UNC and lead to crazy rushed shots. UNC has been scoring at will. To face a complete reversal of that, I think throws UNC off their game to the point where they're in trouble. WSU won't win by much, but I think they will win.

BZ, you're nuts! UNC by 10. I'll take some of whatever you're drinking though.

gamagin
03-25-2008, 06:19 PM
and it looks like it will be a barn burner

kitzbuel
03-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Bennet's own admission that the Cougs have to continue to play perfect to make up for not having top talent makes it clear that this is a tough row to hoe for WSU. UNC's exceptional talent is being matched with exceptional play. I don't see them losing, but pulling for the upset!

MDABE80
03-25-2008, 07:44 PM
UNC's no 1 for a reason and they'lll be teein it up only a few hundred miles from home. Heels should win.
WSU does have the talent to win this one. A perfect game by the cougs might happen. They're playing near perfect now. Love to see those kids in the E 8 or beyond. UNC looks too tough right now.

jscrk
03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
I predict that NC will win by 9 points and then Bennett will leave WSU for a head coaching position in the Midwest.

pbriz
03-25-2008, 09:01 PM
tempo... tempo.... tempo....

whoever controls that wins.

UNC gets beat like us against 3 point shooting.

WSU gets beat by teams that are balanced and can score down low.

I will always pick a team that can score down low, UNC wins this one, by 6-8.

cbbfanatic
03-25-2008, 09:18 PM
i'm not sure that any of the cougars, besides baynes, are strong enough to keep hansbrough in check. baynes needs to stay out of foul trouble for wazzu to have a chance. green and ellington cant be hot either. i dont see wazzu winning this game, even if they try to hold the ball at halfcourt for 20 seconds every time they get it.

carolina 79
wazzu 64

VinnyZag
03-25-2008, 11:03 PM
carolina 79
wazzu 64

I'll eat my hat if Carolina scores 79 points on WSU ... well, I won't actually, but I'll be very surprised. I still think the Heels win, but I expect it to be close, and the scores in the low 60s.

Scotto
03-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Cougs by 3

Rubbadub
03-26-2008, 04:48 AM
BZ, you're nuts! UNC by 10. I'll take some of whatever you're drinking though.

Agreed.

rennis
03-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Heels by a dozen. If the Cougs hold them to under 70 points I'll be surprised. UNC is on fire right now.

cggonzaga
03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm going to predict WSU wins this. I think UNC will think they just have to walk onto the court to win, and that'll be a fatal mistake.

I'd be surprised if Williams, or Hansborough for that matter, let that happen. I love the Cougs but I just don't see them beating UNC in Charlotte. They'd have to play a perfect game and UNC would have to struggle mightily from the floor.

Zagpower
03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
If UNC is able to control the tempo against the Cougs, I hope we take some good notes. We were often unsuccessful at speeding up the tempo against grinder teams and WSU is the king of grinder teams.

jim77
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't think NC is all that great in the halfcourt set. They are great in transition. Guaranteed that WSU can slow the game down to make it a half court game. As long as Baynes can stay out of foul trouble the cougs should have a chance. Speaking of Baynes....he's physically stronger than Hansbrough and Hansbrough might be in for his 2nd bad game of his career.(Josh gave him his first) I predict the Tarheels will have to hit the outside shot to win(which they aren't great at) as the transitional ball dries up against the cougs....the shots won't fall.....cougs by 5.....75-70.

cougs4ever
03-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Carolina's young, will frustrate easier than a veteran squad. Cougs will give up just a handful of transition points.

Cougs 67 UNC 65

chirguy
03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
the cougs can beat em. 55-50

dim4sum
03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Hansborough with a putback as time expires, NC wins 54-52.

johnwzag
03-26-2008, 06:14 PM
I am terrible at predictions, so I will say it is gonna be a tie. :lmao:

If the cougs have a good day, like they played the other day, they have a real good shot.

webspinnre
03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
If the cougs can keep up the defensive effort, I give them a puncher's chance in this one. I'll take the 'heels by 5, 66-61.

rennis
03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Heels by a dozen. If the Cougs hold them to under 70 points I'll be surprised. UNC is on fire right now.

I underestimated UNC. Wow...

but I was wrong, Cougs held them under 70

Rubbadub
03-28-2008, 12:33 PM
At the time, Rub was tempted to pick UNC by more than 10 but decided to agree with Birddog instead. WSU just doesn't have the personnel to stay up with UNC.