• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZaggyStardust
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Feb 2007

A Great Few Article

Didn't see this posted anywhere - and quite timely even though a couple of days old:

You won't find Mark Few fighting for a seat in Bristol on the "ESPN GameDay" set. His idea of glamour is a flexible fly rod and a river full of hungry steelhead.

Some coaches live for the buzz, the bright lights, the fame. Few prefers the solitude of an empty gym, with just his players and his coaches and with another big game looming.

In a world that is as loud as a landing strip, the Gonzaga coach seeks the quiet like a moth seeks a light bulb. He is straight as a laser beam. Consistent as the tides.

"He tells us before every game, 'I'm willing to go to battle with anyone of you in this room,' " starting freshman guard Steven Gray said. "And we believe him."
  • HRZag
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Feb 2007

Great Article

Zaggy, Thanks for the post.

Kind of takes some steam out of the Few issue. Puts it into perspective.

I just wish we could understand some of his player moves, but, all in all, I think we are pretty fortunate to have him and his staff on our side.

Comment

• Zerogame
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Oct 2007

Absolute must read!

This says a lot about the man, as a coach, and a motivator.
      "One thing I'm thankful for, he never quit on me," forward David Pendergraft said before Thursday's public practice at the RBC Center. "He kept pushing and pushing and pushing. He never saw a ceiling or a limit to my ability. He's never let me settle or get comfortable with where I was."

Pendergraft, a senior, has been called the quintessential Zag. He's an overachieving, little-recruited kid who has made himself into an all-purpose wing man.

"Coach Few treats us with a lot of respect," Pendergraft said. "He treats us like young men. He doesn't put you down and we respond with respect from that. Respect for him and total attentiveness."
      "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

I choose to believe Gray, Pendo and the other players whom I've spoken with.

Nice finds, guys.
        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• GonzagaGurl08
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Agreed. Great find ZaggyStardust.
          " 'Damn! I made a lot of stupid – and you can quote me on this – stupid-ass plays. Man, that's gross. But at least we got the win.' " -Jeremy Pargo

Comment

• Zag79
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Great read zaggy, thanks! This should relax some posters... This is also why regardless of what we as fans think he could have done, should have done, we would have done, etc hes the guy with the clip board. its not all x's o's but teaching as well.

Comment

Working...
            X