View Full Version : Will Foster per the Tacoma News Tribune

SpudDawg
03-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Dave Boling's column ...

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/6400830p-5707972c.html

Zags call on Buckley’s Foster

DAVE BOLING; THE NEWS TRIBUNE
Published: March 5th, 2007 01:00 AM

PORTLAND – In a season of abrupt suspensions, unexpected emergencies, and on-the-fly retooling, Gonzaga unveiled the biggest surprise of the year Sunday night.
Really, really big. Seven-foot-4 big.

His name is Will Foster, but you wouldn’t know that if you had to rely on the official flip-card roster for the Zags’ West Coast Conference semifinal game against San Diego at Portland’s Chiles Center.

Foster wasn’t even included on the list.

But you couldn’t miss him when he was on the floor. And although he was credited with two points, two rebounds and one blocked shot in five minutes of play, he was the only Zag to be accorded a standing ovation when he was taken out of the game.

So why are we making such a large deal about a guy who played five minutes?

Well, he’s from Buckley and played at White River High School. And besides, the fact that he came in and gave GU such a lift in the first half is fittingly symbolic of the team’s resilience and capacity for improvisation this season.

<see above link for the rest of the article>

gozagswoohoo
03-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Neat article, I loved seein Foster in there, I hope he gets in a little tonight as well! He REALLY does alter shots. Keep it up!

Foster...Austrailian for beer. (not sure why I had to add that...)

edited to add: Thanks for posting this article!

HillBillyZag
03-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I thought Will did well in his five minutes of play. Beanpole or not, a 7'3" guy looking you in the eye when you came inside gives you something to think about. Plus this kid just turned 18 years old. Its too bad he could not have red-shirted this season and just worked on weight and strength. But as Coach M. stated last nite, you can't teach a guy to be 7'3" and when this kid grows into his body he could really be a surprise.

jayray
03-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I for one can't believe he played. All I could do was scratch my head as to why in the biggest game of the year (every game now is the biggest game of the year) he finally saw action. One can only wonder at the reasoning for giving a Freshman minutes in the biggest game of the year when he hasn't seen any real action for most of the season. Not saying he shouldn't be playing - just would have made more sense to give him more experience earlier in the year.

BobZag
03-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Neat article, I loved seein Foster in there, I hope he gets in a little tonight as well! He REALLY does alter shots. Keep it up!

Foster...Austrailian for beer. (not sure why I had to add that...)

edited to add: Thanks for posting this article!

Is he a foster child?

Sorry, I know, that was awful. :lmao:

brasszag
03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
The answer as to the sudden play time is in one sentence here:

"On Saturday, though, hed asserted himself in practice and caught the eye of assistant coach Leon Rice, who decided it was time to take the wraps off Foster"

finechina2003
03-05-2007, 10:32 AM
"I for one can't believe he played. All I could do was scratch my head as to why in the biggest game of the year (every game now is the biggest game of the year) he finally saw action."

JayRay:

I had the same response in the first half, but in the second half I found myself scratching my head as I wondered why he wasn't playing. I hope head scratching doesn't cause hair loss :)

kdaleb
03-05-2007, 11:09 AM
My thought is that Big Will played due to a combination of

1) What BrassZag quoted
and
2) All the other Zag bigs were in foul trouble

I think it was probably 85% #2 and 15% #1.

Lurknomore
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Yes, but Will has seen very light duty? What happened to Burgess who usually gets in when others are in foul trouble. Personally, I loved seeing Will in and was disapointed he didn't get in in the second. Maybe Pargo can take him out for a few cheesburgers and bulk him up some.

Nevtelen
03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
So for all my fellow beer-drinkers out there - how dominant would Foster have to be before you would consider drinking Foster's during the game instead of your usual?

lothar98zag
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
My thought is that Big Will played due to a combination of

1) What BrassZag quoted
and
2) All the other Zag bigs were in foul trouble

I think it was probably 85% #2 and 15% #1.
Totally agree w/ kdaleb - front court foul trouble in the first half required drastic action to prevent players from getting a 3rd foul in the first half. PlayingWF was that drastic action. I'm glad giving WF the minutes worked out well for him & GU.

brasszag
03-05-2007, 12:40 PM
So for all my fellow beer-drinkers out there - how dominant would Foster have to be before you would consider drinking Foster's during the game instead of your usual?

Three consecutive triple double games (points/rbds/blocks) - then I'll drink Fosters for a game.

It's still crappy beer.

TexasZagFan
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Three consecutive triple double games (points/rbds/blocks) - then I'll drink Fosters for a game.

It's still crappy beer.

It's a DAMN good thing we don't have any players whose last names are Schlitz, Olympia, Weinhard, or Budweiser.

Now, if only Few could recruit a hoopster whose last name is Lowenbrau, Bitburger, Konigsbacher, Heineken, or....Adams! :cheers: :cheers: