PDA

View Full Version : Adam Morrison Factor

Unbiased
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Like him or or not, he was a great player. More than that, he was a leader.

Some said he didn't play defense but he gave it his best shot all the time. He was emotional, he fired things up. I remember in his freshman year, in the Battle in Seattle, immediately after the game he ran along he entire length of he court high fiving the fans and press people. He was a freshman then folks.

Later when he became a star - a college super star. He was still relentless. He did not like to lose. He played with a team not as overall talented as this years squad by a long shot. (Some will argue this but I stand by this statement)

He intimidated players on his own team to perform or take his wrath. He didn't mince words on the floor. He was a leader who made the players around him stay on their toes and perform to their abilities. They were somewhat scared of him - therefore they played hard - to his level of hardness.

It made a huge difference.

This year Gonzaga team lacked a floor general. They never played with intensity for more than a few minutes. Pargo can exhibit some emotion but he was not near the intimidating leader Morrison was.

The team this year had almost too much talent. It needed an intimidating leader.

Next year Pargo must step up and become that leader. I can't see anyone else fulfilling that role. It will make a difference.

Sarenyon
03-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Speaking of AMMO. Isn't it about time he gets a hair cut? :D

He was looking pretty shaggy there at the game.;)

Zag4Hire
03-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I see plenty of Morrison in Daye, if not better. I really think this kid will take the next couple of years by storm. All the pub went to Patty Mills but I really think Daye is going to be something special.

zagsfanforlife
03-22-2008, 07:54 PM
man i miss watching ammo play. I have to sometimes youtube his name just to watch some of his old games i.e. oklahoma state, LMU, and San Francisco. I cant imagine a fiercer competitor, or more fun player to watch than ammo.

Zag4Hire
03-22-2008, 07:57 PM
man i miss watching ammo play. I have to sometimes youtube his name just to watch some of his old games i.e. oklahoma state, LMU, and San Francisco. I cant imagine a fiercer competitor, or more fun player to watch than ammo.

Exactly me, too. It never gets old. I don't know which is my favorite: when he dunks up at K2, when he gets some debris tossed at him down at USD, or when he bonks the ball off his head during the tourney game versus Indiana. I did that once or twice during rec league games and guys who watch college hoops got a laugh. Either that or I am a sub 6' white guy who thinks he is good at hoops.

zagsfanforlife
03-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Exactly me, too. It never gets old. I don't know which is my favorite: when he dunks up at K2, when he gets some debris tossed at him down at USD, or when he bonks the ball off his head during the tourney game versus Indiana. I did that once or twice during rec league games and guys who watch college hoops got a laugh. Either that or I am a sub 6' white guy who thinks he is good at hoops.

haha man the head bonking was great! Or for that matter anytime he would get in someone elses face.

Zag4Hire
03-22-2008, 08:22 PM
haha man the head bonking was great! Or for that matter anytime he would get in someone elses face.

The one time I got a call from all US time zones regarding GU was during this clip. I could watch it a million times over even though I don't really care for these guys' opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stclJLf4ArI

zagsfanforlife
03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
The one time I got a call from all US time zones regarding GU was during this clip. I could watch it a million times over even though I don't really care for these guys' opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stclJLf4ArI

hahaha thanks zag4fire. My dad and I were having a conversation tonight about the greatest ammo game we remember. I thought of LMU and San Francisco, but then I recall the Maui Invitational touney against Michigan State where he and Maurice Ager kept going back and forth trading baskets. He was making shots that when it left his hand you would say "what the heck is he doing" and then after it goes in "great shot". What do you guys think? Best Ammo game?

Zag4Hire
03-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I gotta go Battle in Seattle game versus Oklahoma State. The legend was truly born then. I would then put that Maui Invite game mentioned versus Michigan State. Probably third would be versus UCLA...The box score is different but I have so much respect for him putting everything on the line. I was truly heartbroken and those images hurt just seeing them. I could never understand his pain but he made me understand how important this program was to him and how important he is to this program. I will never forget that.

wazZag
03-22-2008, 10:04 PM
A friend emailed me shortly after the game and said something to the effect of:

"was it just me, or did it look like Adam was more upset than any of the players." I tend to agree.

demian
03-22-2008, 10:28 PM
GU at UW Ammo's junior year, is my favorite game. With Ravio hurt and I think Errol Knight hurt as well, Ammo and Batista and a group of underclassmen (Pargo and Larry Gurganious as Freshman and Pendo as a Soph) were total warriors and almost pulled off a huge upset behind Ammo and his 43 points.

Hey Zag4Hire I know that him slamming the ball into his head against Indian was awesome but do any of you remember the game where he was caught on tv actually punching HIMSELF in the face, while going to the free throw line. It was his freshman or sophomore year. Very intense player. I loved it, and miss it.

MDABE80
03-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Now Waz........tha'ts one for the ages! Not only did Adam hate toi lose, he hated for his friends to lose too!! Even though Adam made me shake my head sometimes, I think we could use another wild man! Looking back, even though some of his antics made me cringe, I also luaghed my brains out too. Hey it's a ride,.......we might as well be able to laugh. I mean..seriously.....none of us is gettin out alive anyway. Happy Easter all you young and old(er) Zag fans!!

zagsfanforlife
03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
GU at UW Ammo's junior year, is my favorite game. With Ravio hurt and I think Errol Knight hurt as well, Ammo and Batista and a group of underclassmen (Pargo and Larry Gurganious as Freshman and Pendo as a Soph) were total warriors and almost pulled off a huge upset behind Ammo and his 43 po

Hey Zag4Hire I know that him slamming the ball into his head against Indian was awesome but do any of you remember the game where he was caught on tv actually punching HIMSELF in the face, while going to the free throw line. It was his freshman or sophomore year. Very intense player. I loved it, and miss it.

yes i remember this. I wish i could remember which team it was against though. Funny stuff.

TheSpokaneClan
03-23-2008, 06:27 AM
AMMO was an amazing player but what helped him a lot was having Batista and Turiaf to get some rebounds. Also Raivio knew what to do with the ball on every possession (he was like a little Mark Few on the court).

Don't get me wrong I have never seen a harder player to guard than AMMO was, he was unbelievably fun to watch and to cheer for. But I agree; he needs a haircut, he looks like Charlie Manson.

TheSpokaneClan
03-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Also the hitting his head with the ball was against Xavier after a 9 point comeback in the second half. Indiana he had the flu, I don't think anyone wants to hit themselves in the head when they have the flu. haha

Zag4Hire
03-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Also the hitting his head with the ball was against Xavier after a 9 point comeback in the second half. Indiana he had the flu, I don't think anyone wants to hit themselves in the head when they have the flu. haha

Correct you are. I am trying to find the game where he punched himself in the face but I am having no luck so far.