PDA

View Full Version : Pendo... the recruiter

ZagAddict
03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
During a break in the UCLA v Texas A&M game tonight they had a great comment from Tom Izzo. He said, "when your players become better recruiters than your coaches, you can go from having a good basketball team to a great program."

Tom Izzo's comment immediately made me think of Pendo. There is no coincidence that Gonzaga's best recruiting years came while Pendo was on the team. From the interaction between Pendo and Daye this year, I'm sure Pendo was a big reason that Daye chose GU over any of the PAC 10 schools offering him.

Players like Pendo and Kuso are valuable in so many ways... especially in ways that don't show up in the stat sheets. Next year someone is going to have to step up and take on the important role of being an ambassador for the GU program and host recruits on visits. I'm interested in hearing who others think fits this role. I think that Sorenson and Brown may fill the role of making recruits feel part of the GU family.

Pendo... we'll miss you in ways that no one will realize. Thank you again!

rawkmandale
03-22-2008, 07:19 PM
That somebody could be Mr. Pendergraft, if he decides to enter law school right away.

applezag
03-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Players have long been an important part of the recruiting process at GU. In fact, their opinions of how the prospect fits in and conducts himself is solicited and considered when making scholarship offers. I know of several guys who were not offered because of this.

MedZag
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
We've had some great ambassadors for GU over the years. Ronny's still my #1, but David is right up there with him.

Zag4Hire
03-22-2008, 07:54 PM
During a break in the UCLA v Texas A&M game tonight they had a great comment from Tom Izzo. He said, "when your players become better recruiters than your coaches, you can go from having a good basketball team to a great program."

Tom Izzo's comment immediately made me think of Pendo. There is no coincidence that Gonzaga's best recruiting years came while Pendo was on the team. From the interaction between Pendo and Daye this year, I'm sure Pendo was a big reason that Daye chose GU over any of the PAC 10 schools offering him.

Players like Pendo and Kuso are valuable in so many ways... especially in ways that don't show up in the stat sheets. Next year someone is going to have to step up and take on the important role of being an ambassador for the GU program and host recruits on visits. I'm interested in hearing who others think fits this role. I think that Sorenson and Brown may fill the role of making recruits feel part of the GU family.

Pendo... we'll miss you in ways that no one will realize. Thank you again!

I believe Izzo already has a Pendo on his team. LOL.
http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/naymick_drew00.html

I honestly think the biggest recruiter of all time for GU has been Stockton. Every time they show them in the stands, it definitely resonates with potential recruits. If you keep getting players drafted early in the NBA, your program really takes off. How it steers during that time, whether towards Tarkanianville or a legitimate program is up to the powers that be.

dim4sum
03-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Speaking of recruits, is Taylor coming to Gonzaga, yes or no?
Don't get it? They say he's from Sweden. Once worked in Sweden, and never met a Taylor. Was his father in the US military and stationed at one of the remote bases that used to be there??? Just curious.