PDA

View Full Version : Indiana coaching search makes a bad turn

CDC84
03-22-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=389897&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=1d1be17a1c29f54a5be72105256f3986#comments

They now have formed a "search committee." IU apparently feels that biology professors and student body presidents are experts when it comes to evaluating basketball coaches, the market for them, etc. Naturally, Rick Pitino, who is bringing in a killer recruiting class at Louisville, and who will never leave to clean up that mess, is the first guy they've contacted.

They need a young, upcoming coach who will be around for awhile to clean up the mess. NCAA penalities are coming, and the program is going to take a hit for the next few seasons. That means no "celebrity" names, and no one who has rejected the job before. But IU just doesn't get it.

Butler Guy
03-22-2008, 03:51 PM
At this point I would say Sean Miller is about 75% likely to be the next head coach at IU.

MedZag
03-22-2008, 07:18 PM
But it's INDIANA, what coach would be stupid enough to turn down a chance to coach the HOOSIERS?

:rolleyes:

kjstoph1
03-23-2008, 07:23 AM
But it's INDIANA, what coach would be stupid enough to turn down a chance to coach the HOOSIERS?

:rolleyes:

Tony Bennett. :-)

83topper
03-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Rick Pitino? He will never leave louisville for bloomington.

IUWestCoast
03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
I know GU loves Mark Few, but he would be perfect for the Indiana opening. Great coach. Takes top 100 talent and turns them into top 10 teams. He's young. Recruits players that look like the student body. From what I hear, he runs a squeaky clean program. Something IU needs after the Kelvin Sampson disaster. I sincerely hope that IU can lure Few away from GU.

7ICoug
03-25-2008, 07:46 AM
He is used to being under NCAA sanctions. He seems to pick the route less traveled by cleaning up after others have messed the nest.

Actually tho he would be too hard for Indiana to get.

CDC84
03-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I know GU loves Mark Few, but he would be perfect for the Indiana opening. Great coach. Takes top 100 talent and turns them into top 10 teams. He's young. Recruits players that look like the student body. From what I hear, he runs a squeaky clean program. Something IU needs after the Kelvin Sampson disaster. I sincerely hope that IU can lure Few away from GU.

Mark Few was contacted about the Indiana opening last time around, well before Sampson was contacted, and he rejected the job on the spot. It ain't happening. The job's status is even worse than it was back then...he isn't likely to change his mind.

He's not the guy you want IUWestCoast, and I am not just saying that because I am a Gonzaga supporter. Few is not the most congenial person when it comes to handling the media and intensive pressure from boosters and fans, and that is an essential part of handling the Indiana job. It's part of the reason why Few has always hung around these parts...he gets to avoid not all of that stuff, but most of it compared to what takes place at a place like IU, Kentucky, etc.

VinnyZag
03-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Besides, if you read this board, you know Mark Few can't coach a lick. Couldn't coach his way out of a brown paper bag. Just ask some of my esteemed fellow posters.

--- (I'm being sarcastic) ---

zagco
03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Why would the Indiana job be a bad job? Is it because of the expecations and/or interference/influence from big donor alumni? Is it more than that?

7ICoug
03-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Perhaps they will be on NCAA santions, loose scholarships, actually I believe they have already self-imposed one scholarship loss for a while.

TV Ban, post season ban, and none of this will be decided until nearly September if by then.

CDC84
03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
It's just as 7ICoug describes it. It is going to take a few years to get things back on track. Also, I have to believe that at least 2 of their 2008 recruits will ask to be released from their LOI's, although they may hang on depending on who is hired. Eric Gordon and DJ White are history...the best two players on IU's roster.

When IU hires its next coach, it will be their 5th coach this decade. That's just too much. They need to find a young guy who's bright, has an engaging personality, teaches disciplined, fundamental basketball to appeal to the Red Sweater crowd, and who will stick around for 10-15 years.

I am really worried about them hiring some big name guy who might retire in 5 years or something...it's not what they need.