I cant believe all the fair weather fans.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZAGsMang
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

The second GU is done with the season, every "blue bleeder" turns into a hater.

When I attended GU we were not good, but we were not calling for a new coach, a new system, or a new way to recruit.

I guess I was foolish to think that GU fans were different.

Maybe, you fair weather fans should jump on WSU's bandwagon now. The best part, if they lose you can move right onto the ND bandwagon.

GoZAGsMang
  • MEZAG
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

I am looking forward to the jump to another bandwagon. Then I might be able to get some good seats in K2. :-)

Comment

• HOOTER
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

I'm really sick and tired of people like you labeling fans who are disappointed in or critical of their teams performance as "fair weather fans". With that line of thinking you'd have to consider coach Few the worst fair weather fan in the world, because I guarantee no one is more disappointed right now than him. This team has way too much talent to perform the way they did this season and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Comment

• gbnyba17
        Kennel Club Material
        • Jan 2008

Couldnt agree more with you Hooter...

its getting old hearing that. dissapointment, if anything, is productive and leads to change. you pointed this out with your point with few. it is NOT ok to be content with "one and done". i havnt really seeen anything that shows me people are fair weather fans, just expectations that were not met and a BURNING DESIRE to want to be better. theres nothing wrong with that, especially a day after a tough loss.

Comment

• krozman
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

[QUOTE=HOOTER;192727]I'm really sick and tired of people like you labeling fans who are disappointed in or critical of their teams performance as "fair weather fans". QUOTE]

Agree 100%, and that says a lot considering I generally disagree with Hooter. I'm so sick of the whiney fans who can't take opinions or criticism, who then label me as a hater. This is a discussion board people. Theres no point to me coming here if I can't "discuss."
          Krozman
          GU student 1996-2000
          Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• GoZAGsMang
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

I am disappointed also.

I am disappointed also.

But I am not calling for a new coach. I am not bashing the system. I am not calling out a player.

Its easy to be critical after the loss.

I am sure if Few would have just talked to the critics before the game, for advice, we would have handled Davidson easily. Maybe somebody who played JV junior high ball could have helped him with a plan to stop Curry.
            (sorry I dont know where the sarcasm button is)

We were the underdogs. We barely lost.

Curry is very good.

Be as critical as you like, I am proud of the team and the staff.

One last idea...wear your ND shirt under your WSU sweatshirt and then you can be right, either way.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

We all can't be as mature and decent of a person as you Mang.

It's easy to be critical after a loss, but it is just as easy to call out other fans as you ride by on your high horse.

It's a message board. People have vented here after every loss and there have been worse threads than the ones after this game. Many fans here pay tons of money, wait in insane long lines in the freezing weather for days to see Gonzaga play. Let them complain on the internet. No one here is banging down Few's door with pitchforks and torches.

Everyone here is proud of this school and the staff and the players. I have yet to see ANYONE say they are jumping ship, its the day after a painful loss. Sports affects people in crazy ways, but after a day or too the pain will melt into hope and everything will be fine.

Comment

• GoZAGsMang
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

Bronco, I appreciate your post

Bronco, I appreciate your post.

I didnt mean to do any "high horsin".

Its just frustrating to see the board go from totally optimistic to calling for peoples heads.

If there isnt going to be a pitchfork party, I will chill out and let the venting go.

I guess the anger and venting just shows passion.

GoZAGsMang

Comment

• Zag4Hire
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Ahh the GU Board

I left for camping early on Wednesday for my wife's birthday with all of her friends. This was the first time I missed the opening round and hopefully the last. I at least knew I could record the early times when the Zags would play, watch it on Saturday, and be plenty ready on Sunday. No radio signal, no laptops, no cell phones to check the scores, etc. I was fine with that. Even though almost every time during early Thursday, I was jonesing for an update. I told myself don't worry, you will watch it but that is like somebody placing a present in front of you and saying, "Don't open it". I resisted, tried to escape, and just when I thought I turned the corner, another camper approached me. "He goes are you a Zag fan?", as he saw my hat and other merchandise. "I said why yes I am!" He replies, "Sorry about today that was quite a game." My face was in shock, then I grinded my teeth and said, "Yup it was pretty bad." I then told him my dilemma, he felt bad, but I told him that he couldn't know that and we started to chat up hoops for quite some time. He brought a TV and I guess they were just watching the games, which I don't really understand why they were camping then but whatever.

I can't watch the game now, I checked my brackets in the GUBoard and they aren't too hot, and I was afraid to come on here to hear about the game. I guess we had TWO 11 point leads? Wow, I really can't watch it now.

In response to this post, in my personal opinion, bandwagon fans don't argue or critique their teams because they aren't invested in the team which makes them a bandwagon team. They buy a lot of gear, go to the games, not really follow the team or watch an occasional game, and don't seem bothered by a loss too much.

From my experience with this board and other pro teams I follow, I see two kinds of relationships that fans have with their teams (I don't remember who used this analogy before but it works): one is like from a child/parent perspective and the other is a spouse perspective. The child never sees any wrongs with their team and becomes offended during any reasonable critique (trolls, flamers, bomb-throwing, etc. excluded) and the other seeks an exchange of ideas that may contain positive criticism or changes they see that may lead to better results.

Here's to the reload for 2008-2009, taking the WCC regular season AND tournament, a comfortable seeding, and a long drive down the road to the Final Four.

On a quick side note, that commercial that plays Gonzaga's Gus Johnson clip that I just saw and then a hammer smashes the cinderella slipper leaves me puzzled on what to think. It's a little deeper than most people care to think about their commercials and I don't know what kind of impression that leaves.
                  IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• beatProgram
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

I'm always confused by the backlash when people express or postulate what GU's failings in a game may have been.

It's undeniably true that GU's coach, players, and their performances aren't perfect; If they were, then GU would get NCAA National Championship titles year in and year out.

People discussing what is causing us to fall short of that seem to simply want to see the team achieve more, and are simply assuming that "more of the same" isn't going to elevate the level of the team, because it hasn't so far.

Comment

• ZaggyStardust
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zag4Hire View Post
                      On a quick side note, that commercial that plays Gonzaga's Gus Johnson clip that I just saw and then a hammer smashes the cinderella slipper leaves me puzzled on what to think. It's a little deeper than most people care to think about their commercials and I don't know what kind of impression that leaves.
                      I just saw that too and felt it was really dark and depressing. Thought perhaps I was just a little over sensitive today! I would imagine USD's fans don't agree with the commercial!

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2008

Remember Adam Morrison?

Remember him being virtually unstoppable - even with the best of planning or strategy?

We just ran into Adam Morrison 2008.

That's my take.
                        History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• alaskazagnut

I really don't see bandwagon jumpers here

Nor do I see haters. I see real fans trying to understand why we lost.

Comment

• Scotto
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Jun 2007

This team has been up and down all year, I dont think anyone really expected a deep run in the tournament. A couple of plays that went the different way and we would be talking about how the boys went into a unfriendly environment and pulled off the win. This is the nature of the beast. Nothing to be down about the team, or Few or anything else. This team losses most likely two guys, and will be a force next year and should expect a deep run in the tournament. Chin up GU fans!

Comment

• primal23
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MEZAG View Post
                              I am looking forward to the jump to another bandwagon. Then I might be able to get some good seats in K2. :-)
                              Heck yeah, was talking to some people at work right after the loss, he said you can just see all the GU bandwagon folks putting on WSU gear, and pretending they always had been a WSU fan, and never followed the Zags. Washington State is HORRIBLE w/ bandwagon fans. Just look at how Seattle is following the Sonics. Imagine if the Hawks have a horrid season next year, Qwest field will be empty the next year.
                              11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
                              "Make it yourself"
                              "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
                              "Okay"

Comment

Working...
                              X