X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bartruff1
    • Apr 2024

If you had a pulse in your brain...

You would know that you are seeing the most successful small college/mid major basketball program in the entire history of Div 1 and it is being led by a hall of fame coach with one of the highest winning percentages ever. This has never happened before and will not likely happen again. These are the facts. Perhaps it is such a historical moment cuz when coaches are this successful they either get caught cheating and or move on. So go ahead and whine and ##### but thank your lucky stars that Mark stays here and can recruit and coach such outstanding young men. Please don't tell me the competition is weak, he plays the best teams he can and it seems like we have played every team in the tourney !!!
  • MedZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

But why can't we be more like UNC?

j/k
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• rawkmandale
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Thank you. I'll tired of the self-appointed experts on this board. What a bunch of downers/losers/complainers. PLEASE find another team to be a "fan" of. Try Duke or UCLA. Those would be good for you.

Comment

• NTexZag
        Redshirt
        • Mar 2008

I do not see anything wrong with taking a reasoned, critical look at the team and where there needs to be some improvement. Merely resting on our laurels and saying we are one of the best mid-major programs etc, etc. does not help us. What is the goal? To win a national championship? To get out of the first round? To dominate the WCC or gloat about the past and stats? Give me a break. What have you done for me lately? To go from good to great you have to take a critical hard look at this team. If the goal is to only get into the tournament each year and do the best we can guys then fine let things be BUT I doubt this is what the athletes/coaches want. Conservative ideology is inherently flawed because it does not strive for improvement. Spewing that we have great stats is useless. This team needs to figure out why they keep losing games they should win. The last few years the Zags lost to Texas Tech in a game they had won, they lost to UCLA in a game they had won, and they faltered early last year and this year. The next couple years are critical for the Zags to turn the corner or they may jeopardize recruiting top notch talent.

Comment

We Always Beat Them !!!

Originally posted by MedZag View Post
          But why can't we be more like UNC?

j/k
          I think Mark has a winning record against the ACC and the Pac Ten ...and to think he has done this in cold and snowy Spokane...

Comment

• kclubfounder
            Zag for Life
            • Aug 2007

Amen Bartruff. Amen. Some critical analysis is fine and warranted. But many on this board are downers/losers/complainers.

Comment

People are not measured by their goals, but by their accomplishments

Originally posted by NTexZag View Post
              I do not see anything wrong with taking a reasoned, critical look at the team and where there needs to be some improvement. Merely resting on our laurels and saying we are one of the best mid-major programs etc, etc. does not help us. What is the goal? To win a national championship? To get out of the first round? To dominate the WCC or gloat about the past and stats? Give me a break. What have you done for me lately? To go from good to great you have to take a critical hard look at this team. If the goal is to only get into the tournament each year and do the best we can guys then fine let things be BUT I doubt this is what the athletes/coaches want. Conservative ideology is inherently flawed because it does not strive for improvement. Spewing that we have great stats is useless. This team needs to figure out why they keep losing games they should win. The last few years the Zags lost to Texas Tech in a game they had won, they lost to UCLA in a game they had won, and they faltered early last year and this year. The next couple years are critical for the Zags to turn the corner or they may jeopardize recruiting top notch talent.
              And only the very very best are measured against history and that is what we are seeing. So enjoy it . You have every right to express your opinion but you don't have the skills or the responsibility or the opportunity to improve the progam...thats Marks job and he does a hell of a job.

Comment

• Ezag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rawkmandale View Post
                Thank you. I'll tired of the self-appointed experts on this board. What a bunch of downers/losers/complainers. PLEASE find another team to be a "fan" of. Try Duke or UCLA. Those would be good for you.
                Yah, this statement makes a lot of sense -NOT. Every message board is like this. And yes, die hard fans are self-appointed experts or we wouldn't waste our time posting on this forum so much.

Comment

• HOOTER
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Some would rather live in the past then prepare for the future. Ironically, Coach Few and his staff are far more critical than anyone on this board. He would never be willing to settle for his teams past accomplishments. Instead, he's looking toward the future with the intent on doing everything in his power to improve his team. Those of us who are disappointed with our teams overall performance this season have something in common with coach Few. He's more disappointed than all of us combined. So bart, you are welcome to live in the past and enjoy mediocrity, but some of us, most importantly Coach Few, are unable and unwilling to do so.

Comment

I'm not living in the past..

I'm very much looking forward to next year...and just maybe another 20 wins and just maybe another WWC Championship (I already have reservations in Vegas) and hopefully another trip to the Big Dance. If you think that is mediocracy well then I guess I plead guilty. Sure I would like to beat Tiger 9 and 8 in the World Match Play right after I pick up my Peace Prize for the Middle East and before I Quarterback the Seahawks to the Superbowl ...but at my age maybe mediocracy is good enough...you go girl !!!

Comment

• Zag79
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Yeah because ideas, concerns and hoops strategy is bad for the board! Gimme a break. Isnt this what its for?

Comment

• HOOTER
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Zag79 View Post
                        Yeah because ideas, concerns and hoops strategy is bad for the board! Gimme a break. Isnt this what its for?
                        Thank you Zag79! That is exactly what this board is for. We have every right to be critical of our teams performance, and to say our criticism is unjustified is absolutely absurd.

Comment

• zag67
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

Critical is one thing, but only if you have realistic ideas on how to improve it. Saying that Few is doing bad and should be replaced is not improving the program. Saying that Few, the players and his staff need to reflect on this season is a valid statement. How Few and the staff handle a team with that much talent is a justified concern. And any of us that have followed and believe in the program believe that will happen. Remember that not only did we have more talent than normal, we also had injuries that plagued the team early and therefore did not allow the coaches to figure out how to integrate the full set of players. Few also had a new assistant coach and that means it takes time for them to feel confortable with each other. In some ways you can view this as Few's freshmen year as a coach with 10 to 13 players that can all play super. Now let him and his staff analyze, reflect and improve next season. We just need to watch what happens in his sophmore season and I think that we will see a quantum leap.

Now the players also have to reflect about themselves and work on how they can also improve the team while they are on the court. They have to reflect on what they need to do to improve themselves and what they need to do to improve the team. There were many things that I saw this year that were fantastic and then they would turn around and play like they had never been on the court before (and this is not all coaching).

As a team they did a great job of doing team rebounding. But there were times when they forgot some basics on the offensive boards and forgot to do fundamental things like box out (and therefore gave up too many offensive boards).

When they were shooting well, great things would happen, but when certain people were not shooting well, they did not try and find the hot hand. When a person looks back, when we had the assists, great things happened. They also need to improve their turnover ratio. And by the way many of those turnovers were offensive fouls, where a player was trying to do too much.

I would also say that this was one of the better defensive teams that we have had and they can only get better. The coaches and players have to realize when they are playing that hard on both ends of the court, then they need more time on the bench. We have the talent to give everyone a rest and not lose a beat on the court.

So I quess that I am really looking forward to see the improvement next year. We have many "freshmen" and I am looking forward to seeing the jump that normally occurs that second year. Thanks again to all of the GU coaches and players for a fun year (except for the early ending, but not very often will you see someone make 8 for 10 3s).

Comment

Working...
                          X