PDA

View Full Version : And so the season ends ...

ZagNative
03-21-2008, 11:39 PM
The final moments tick down, a little Few boy huddles against his mother, with his father, the coach, a stoic blur in the foreground, and the little boy's heart is broken. The Zags have lost ... He knows at his young age about winning and losing...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/2008%20NCAA%20Tournament/r_09.jpg

The final buzzer sounds. In another time, on the home court at MacCarthey Athletic Center, Abdullahi Kuso might have scooped a little Few boy up and carried him through the line of players and coaches for a post-game handshake, as I've seen him do before. Not tonight. Not ever again, in fact, for this is Kuso's last game as a Zag.

His father leads a somber procession to the locker room.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/2008%20NCAA%20Tournament/r_13.jpg

In the locker room, Andrew Sorenson musters up a smile as Steve Hertz, Director of Athletic Relations for Gonzaga, gives him a bear hug for his enthusiasm. I bet Andrew will cheer the team up on the plane ride home ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/2008%20NCAA%20Tournament/r_18.jpg

Kuso, Austin, and Pendo sit dejected in the locker room. What are they thinking?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/2008%20NCAA%20Tournament/r_17.jpg

I wonder if Austin feels worse for Pendo than he does for himself. I'm remembering what Austin said in Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7302#more) on March 8th, before the WCC tournament:

“I want ‘Pendo’ to play great,” said freshman Austin Daye, who shares the ‘4’ position with Pendergraft and is Pendergraft’s roommate on road trips. “I hope for him that he accomplishes all the things he wanted to do coming to Gonzaga. I just hope Pendo and Kuso have a great game.”

Austin will need a new mentor now, someone to continue his learning curve, teaching him the tricks of having fun, succeeding, and being a great all-round person.

I'm remembering that story about Austin in the review (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/story.asp?ID=228082), with this quote,
Few said Daye has benefited from the tutelage of senior David Pendergraft, who starts at the power forward, or '4' spot.

"I just try to teach him all the little things about what college basketball is about – how to represent yourself and all the little details of the game," Pendergraft said. These folks are a family, and they're like family to me as well. I love Gonzaga basketball, and because they play Gonzaga basketball, I come to know them and share part of their lives for a while and am better for it. Some folks like to think of these young men as gladiators, warriors, hired guns. I just can't think of them like that. They're family.

So I feel for them and share in their disappointment, far more painful for them than for me. And I expect that after a few days off they'll look at some game film and meet and talk and lay the plans for the summer and for next season and for getting better and better.

I'll sure miss them in the meantime.

SR's complete album of the game here (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/inc/photo_slideshow.asp?showid=513&photo=1&subject=&keywords=).

Zagineer
03-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Well stated and presented, as always, ZN.

I know posts like yours just don't happen. They take time and effort. They are much appreciated by many.

Thank you.

Radbooks
03-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Thank you, ZagNative for this thread, I totally agree with you. I also want to second Zagineer and thank you for ALL of your threads all season long. I know how much work you've put in all year on tracking down articles and pictures and I've appreciated it. :D

ZagNative
03-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Getting ready for a drive to Seattle for Easter with family, but first this, from an article by Jim Meehan and Steve Bergum (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/story.asp?ID=237199) in today's Spokesman:
Senior sendoff

As sendoffs go, this wasn't the best for Gonzaga seniors David Pendergraft and Abdullahi Kuso, who spent the closing seconds of the loss watching from the bench.

"This isn't how I thought it was going to end, but I'm very proud and I appreciate my time here (at Gonzaga)," Kuso said. "I kept hoping we'd pull out a miracle. When that final whistle blew, it was really tough."

Pendergraft was seated next to freshman Austin Daye in the Zags' locker room after the loss and was noticeably dejected.

Daye, in an effort to pick up his teammate, said he planned on getting back in the gym and working on his game as soon as possible.

"Because I want to make this guy proud," he said, nodding toward Pendergraft, who responded by tapping Daye on the knee and saying, "You already have, buddy."Like I said, "family."

Bulldog
03-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks Zagnative.

gamagin
03-22-2008, 08:12 AM
& Happy Easter

gueastcoast
03-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks ZN. I haven't been able to post since the game -- haven't been up for it -- this helps. Keep the faith.

rawkmandale
03-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Best thread of the year - a classic - thank you. Nice to have mature people posting along with the flamers on other threads.

Happy Easter to all.

MickMick
03-22-2008, 11:47 AM
A hearty thank you ZagNative. A tough day for Zag faithful for sure.

TerpZag
03-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Your wonderful posts continue to show your love for Gonzaga basketball and the extended Gonzaga "family" in its many aspects.

They are always informative, as well.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your Easter weekend with your family.

rawkmandale
03-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Thank God for family. Blessings to all.

BobZag
03-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Pendergraft was seated next to freshman Austin Daye in the Zags’ locker room after the loss and was noticeably dejected.

Daye, in an effort to pick up his teammate, said he planned on getting back in the gym and working on his game as soon as possible.

“Because I want to make this guy proud,” he explained, nodding toward Pendergraft, who responded by tapping Daye on the knee and saying, “You already have, buddy.”

GonzagaLove
03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Ok, now I feel better. Thanks ZN.

MBOHNERT
03-22-2008, 06:26 PM
I am as big a zag fan as any...although it doesn't show thru my (lack of)participation on this forum, I read/enjoy it daily. Thanks to all of you for your fun, insight, research, and knowledge into zag hoops. I was in vegas for the thurs/fri games and it was rough!

ZagMania
03-22-2008, 07:19 PM
That stuff right there is the stuff that makes us all so sad.. sad that Pendo and Kuso couldn't have extended their GU career one more game and the way we feel connected to this team and want their goals and dreams to come true. But at the same time, it is the reason we are all here.

Thanks so much for that post ZagNative.

Dogtownkid
03-23-2008, 07:31 AM
So now Ifeel better, too! Family pulls together in tough times, and better times follow.

Thanks, ZN!

zagcheer78
03-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Thank you and a wonderful Easter to all.

RomanZag
03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks very much, ZN. I can't say it makes me feel better, but it sure helps to put in perspective how much heart goes into Gonzaga basketball. That part of this world surely makes it very family-like.

If you keep up posts like this, you'll join BobZag and Angelo Roncalli as the posters whose work I read regularly on this site.

zag69
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the beautiful post, ZN.

As it happens, I arrived at the airport for a family visit to Spokane just before the team left. I was waiting for my sister to pick me up and heard the warning over the PA system: "The Gonzaga charter for North Carolina is now boarding!" I walked to the gate mentioned and there they were, the whole team lined up, some wearing ties. I waved to them and told them good luck. Most were distracted and talking among themselves, but Pendo gave me the biggest smile I have ever seen in my life. I gave him a thumbs-up and wished him well.

I wish all the guys well, and hope they know we appreciate their hard work and dedication. They did not fail, even though they didn't advance in the tournament.

zag69
03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the moving and beautiful post, ZN.

As it happens, I arrived at the airport for an Easter trip to Spokane just as the team was going through boarding for their trip east. I was waiting for my sister to pick me up, when I heard on the PA system "Attention! The Gonzaga charter is now boarding" so I hurried to the named gate and saw the team, coaches and followers lined up at the gate. I cheered for them and told them good luck...in return, Pendo gave me the biggest smile in the world and a friendly wave.

MidwestZagFan
04-03-2008, 04:42 AM
5 stars. Thank you ZN!