PDA

View Full Version : poor GU recruiting the last 3 years

gprep survivor
03-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Here are the other teams that offered scholarships to Gonzaga players.
Bouldin is basically the only player that was offered by any decent school

Indiana State
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Colorado
Fresno State
Oklahoma
SMU
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Wichita State

none

Boston College
California
N Carolina State
Notre Dame
Oregon State
SF
Utah

Just A Zag
03-21-2008, 08:34 PM
you.can't.be.serious.

Daye was ranked top 25
Gray top 80 at least
Sacre usually was in the top 150

You can't base good or bad recruits on the schools that offer them (See a guy by the name of Adam Morrison)

gprep survivor
03-21-2008, 08:39 PM
great example. there are so many adam morrison's in the world.

azzagfan
03-21-2008, 08:42 PM
You just watched another one today, Stephen Curry. Do you think he opted for Davidson over UNC and Duke?

Just A Zag
03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
This thread is an utter complete waste of time...

gprep survivor
03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
so you are hoping one of gonzaga's 2 or 3 star recruits will become morrison or curry?

gprep survivor
03-21-2008, 08:58 PM
sorry. i forgot we shouldn't say anything bad about the zags.
daye will take them to the glory land the next couple years.

HOOTER
03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I come at this subject from a totally different angle. Sometimes I wonder if Few and staff have recruited too well. Mark Few has always been a coach who likes to recruit decent players who few, if any, teams want and then make them great. Now that he's recruiting players who are already great he's having a hard time molding and shaping them into the type of players that fit into his system. The talent level of the new recruits has gone up significantly over the last few years, but the overall success of the team hasn't necessarily improved as a result.

zagsfanforlife
03-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I come at this subject from a totally different angle. Sometimes I wonder if Few and staff have recruited too well. Mark Few has always been a coach who likes to recruit decent players who few, if any, teams want and then make them great. Now that he's recruiting players who are already great he's having a hard time molding and shaping them into the type of players that fit into his system. The talent level of the new recruits has gone up significantly over the last few years, but the overall success of the team hasn't necessarily improved as a result.

Agree somewhat with this point. This program was built on the smart, gritty players coming into this program such as Santagelo, Stepp, Morrison. It wasnt by getting 4 star recruits who are score first players. I dont live in Oregon, or Washington so I am unsure if the talent is still there, but am I not correct in saying that the program got its greatness from recruiting local, smart, gritty players?? Are these players not being produced like they were a few years ago or what? I don't want to bring forth the Tinsley card again, but was he not a mold of the players that built Gonzaga basketball?

MBZags
03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Why even make a thread like this when the national rankings on all respected recruiting sites list these recruits in the Top 100?

gprep survivor
03-21-2008, 09:10 PM
i agree that getting an OJ Mayo is not as good as getting a couple longterm solid commits. but a team needs to have a player it can give the ball to at the end of the game. GU doesn't have that player right now or from what i can tell for the next couple years.

ZagNative
03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
MODS: Can we call a temporary halt to this type of critical post by new posters who obviously either know very little or are just here to flame? Please?

I could start rebutting what he says (i.e., Wisconsin, off the top of my head, was in hot pursuit of Grant Gibbs), but I don't want to dignify the original post by investing energy responding to a flamer.

Six posts? Give me a break

BroncoZAG615
03-21-2008, 09:41 PM
The whole discussion in this thread is laughable.

Are we questioning Few for recruiting too well? This team was not winning championships before we started recruiting four and five stars. We made a cinderella run and have been in the tournament for 10 years. This is not enough. If we could win championships with 10 gritty smart players than fine, keep doing it. However, it's not gonna happen.

Championships are won by a perfect balance of athleticism, luck, hard work, and coaching. We don't have all four of these right now. But suggesting that we shun the scorers first for players would scrap for 10 points a game is beyond the realm of plausible thought.

We made it to where we are on grit and SKILL. In order to actually achieve what we all want, we need more skill and coaching that skill for the right situations. Hard work comes with wearing a GU uniform. Kids know what to expect when they come here. You can have your gritty players and a elite eight once every blue moon. I'll take skilled players who give me hope for a championship.

Plain and simple: you suggested Few is struggling fitting kids into his system. Tough. It is his job and I hope he isn't struggling too much because if he is then we are at the very beginning of a whole bunch of future problems.

PortlandbasedZag
03-21-2008, 09:52 PM
i agree that getting an OJ Mayo is not as good as getting a couple longterm solid commits. but a team needs to have a player it can give the ball to at the end of the game. GU doesn't have that player right now or from what i can tell for the next couple years.

Did you see Grey tonight or Daye this whole year? Sure Grey had just a few excellent games, but his shooting today completely harkened back to DD and Frahm and all the excellent shooters we used have. The kid is big will be excellent 2, esp in the next few years. And Daye...the kid is 6'10, can shoot OVER 40% from 3, over 90% from the ft line...you have to be kidding me that no-one in the next few years can be the end of the game shot taker. THEY ARE FRESHMAN! Morrison wasn't a go-to scorer in his freshman year either...I think this year is going to make a huge in the development of both of them...

zagsfanforlife
03-21-2008, 09:57 PM
The whole discussion in this thread is laughable.

Are we questioning Few for recruiting too well? This team was not winning championships before we started recruiting four and five stars. We made a cinderella run and have been in the tournament for 10 years. This is not enough. If we could win championships with 10 gritty smart players than fine, keep doing it. However, it's not gonna happen.

Championships are won by a perfect balance of athleticism, luck, hard work, and coaching. We don't have all four of these right now. But suggesting that we shun the scorers first for players would scrap for 10 points a game is beyond the realm of plausible thought.

We made it to where we are on grit and SKILL. In order to actually achieve what we all want, we need more skill and coaching that skill for the right situations. Hard work comes with wearing a GU uniform. Kids know what to expect when they come here. You can have your gritty players and a elite eight once every blue moon. I'll take skilled players who give me hope for a championship.

Plain and simple: you suggested Few is struggling fitting kids into his system. Tough. It is his job and I hope he isn't struggling too much because if he is then we are at the very beginning of a whole bunch of future problems.

Bronco, I would much rather take the sweet sixteens and elite eights that we achieved with gritty, smart players who could shoot the ball than the one and done's that we have put up with your athletic 4 and 5 star players. Is that laughable?

ZagsGoZags
03-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Dear ZagNative and others.

With all respect, what is with asking the Moderators to zap somebody who does not fit a mold? I was interested in whether you could refute any of the statistics you criticize, rather than label an argument (with statistical evidence to back it up), as laughable. And then, to be banished ????

Maybe his stats are misleading because some of the top recruits declared for GU so early other schools did not bother to make offers? I mean lets discuss ideas here, not make stereotypes to ban somebody.

If his argument is that bad, go ahead and show us why. At least that is my view. If it really is laughable, I would say, just leave the thread, and let somebody else with more patience show the rest of us why it is not a reasonable point of view.

IMHO

BroncoZAG615
03-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I...still do find it laughable.

What do sweet sixteens and elite eights mean if you can't build off them.
How do you build off them? By recruiting better players and fitting them in your system. I'm not saying eliminate the role players but its about a combination of supreme talent and role players.

These players we are bringing in are good for the program. Steven Gray to me is a very smart and gritty player. Austin is gritty and has a great basketball IQ. Yes today was a one and done but that was a team we caught on their hottest day in their backyard. There were still strides made. I'm confident we are recruiting players that fit our system. I'm confident Few has not strayed from what he looks for in a player just because he has five stars.

zagsfanforlife
03-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I...still do find it laughable.

What do sweet sixteens and elite eights mean if you can't build off them.
How do you build off them? By recruiting better players and fitting them in your system. I'm not saying eliminate the role players but its about a combination of supreme talent and role players.

These players we are bringing in are good for the program. Steven Gray to me is a very smart and gritty player. Austin is gritty and has a great basketball IQ. Yes today was a one and done but that was a team we caught on their hottest day in their backyard. There were still strides made. I'm confident we are recruiting players that fit our system. I'm confident Few has not strayed from what he looks for in a player just because he has five stars.

Im not saying take all gritty smart players. Obviously you need athletic players who can create shots on their own. Gray is a perfect fit for GU. I am just suggesting we mix and match. And we still have a ways to go in my opinion before a national championship. I would gladly settle for elite eights and sweet sixteens. National Championships dont grow on trees.