PDA

View Full Version : What a shame!!!

RebornZag
03-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I couldn't believe that a conference championship tournament could have such a lousey showing by the schools. The gym wasn't even full. And toward the end of the game hardly anyone was there. Sick looking for the conference. Gonzaga was the only school in my opinion who showed up in Portland....for the tournament. What a classy school and classy fans....I hope we show up in double force tomorrow......and I believe we will....I am pumped.....These guys appear to play for schools that don't really care all that much, and I think that is pathetic for this league!!! Shame on the WCC.
I hope we win by 20 tomorrow....

alert2
03-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Oh wow, Zags had the most fans in @ a tourney a quick roadtrip from Spokane? :rolleyes: For shaaaame.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-04-2007, 11:09 PM
i saw a few ruff riders there...so its not like they just didnt show up...im sure the zags fans will dominate the crowd tomorrow night as well...but that doesnt really mean jack at this point because SCU wasnt fazed in spokane...why would they be here? wouldnt have it the other way around though thats for sure

roxdoc
03-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Its closer than the Bay area, but its still quite a drive.

GPZagFan
03-04-2007, 11:12 PM
i saw a few ruff riders there...so its not like they just didnt show up...im sure the zags fans will dominate the crowd tomorrow night as well...but that doesnt really mean jack at this point because SCU wasnt fazed in spokane...why would they be here? wouldnt have it the other way around though thats for sure

I disagree - considering the ho-hum atmosphere of the tournament so far, tonight's atmosphere was intense with many GU fans. Hearing people clap and scream and stand up for you makes a difference. Why wouldn't it?

TexasZagFan
03-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Oh wow, Zags had the most fans in @ a tourney a quick roadtrip from Spokane? :rolleyes: For shaaaame.

Better take a geography class, alert2. Spokane's about 350 miles from Portland. :lmao:

mtzaga
03-05-2007, 04:35 AM
Better take a geography class, alert2. Spokane's about 350 miles from Portland. :lmao:

350 miles in nothing...especially in Texas.

RebornZag
03-05-2007, 05:41 AM
This wasn't meant for Zagnation. It was meant for the other schools in this conference. IMO it has nothing to do with miles. It is all about ones passion for the our team, and for the game of basketball. The Zag vs San Diego game seemed awesome to me. ZagNation was loud and packed in. Sorry for not being clear about that....

There will be a very different SPIRIT in the arena tonight in Portland then the one that met Santa Clara when they visited the Mighty campus of Gonzaga University....The Campus and city was in shock over the Cheney incident. The Zags had their hearts torn out of 'em....And Santa Clara took advantage of the precious moment that awaited them...the moment to take a wounded Zag Team and a wounded ZagNation down, and BREAK our Home Court record...

But the team that awaits them tonight is NOT this Zag team. The Nation that awaits them tonight is NOT the ZagNation that met them in K2. NO!!! This is a different night. And a different team....And ZAGNATION will be there to be a part of the great event tonight!!! OUR fans will show up...Because it is IMPORTANT to us...More important then the miles between The Arena and Packing Up and Going Home to FISH.

jbslicer
03-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Last year in the Spokane, the MAC was pretty close to empty when LMU played SMC. Some fans stuck around to watch the first half. But by the end of game there were around 200 fans still there.

TexasZagFan
03-05-2007, 06:48 AM

Spoken like a true pro, mtzaga! You must have made some trans-Texas excursions.

You don't really appreciate how big Texas is until you've driven across it. For example, El Paso is as close to Los Angeles as it is to Houston. On I-10, it is almost 900 miles from El Paso to the TX/LA border.

Still, 350 miles from Spokane to Portland is not exactly a quick road trip.

And just think of all the years Zag fans traveled to the Bay Area and San Diego. Sounds to me like alert2 needs a lot more cheese to go with the whine. ;)

Bulldog
03-05-2007, 07:58 AM

Where the hell is Texas? Is that anywhere close to Luckenbach?

zagco
03-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I think it's lame for the WCC to have a tournament on a Sunday-Monday. Kids have school. What is wrong with the weekend?

At some point, we need to quit planning our lives around ESPN's television desires. If we don't, it's only a matter of time before we're playing games on Monday mornings due to ESPN's programming needs.

tobizag
03-05-2007, 08:58 AM
seeing as the tournament takes 4 days, would the option then be to start the tournament a day earlier so that the final were on Sunday?

skmlover
03-05-2007, 09:54 AM

Sorry to tell you this LMU fan, but it doesn't seem to matter where we play, we'd still have the most fans there. In fact, at last year's WCC tourney in Spokane, I happened to be sitting next to a member of the San Diego staff who said something to the effect of.... The WCC tourney should never be held in Spokane because of ticket revenue. GU fans will travel to California for the tournament whereas the rest of the schools in the conference will not travel to Spokane.

brasszag
03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
My thought is that any school that can seat more than 5000 folks should be in the rotation (I don't know how many that is offhand) as the BARE minimum, then shuffle it up so that it's not any any one of the three "regions" twice in a row.

siliconzag
03-05-2007, 01:22 PM
I think it's lame for the WCC to have a tournament on a Sunday-Monday. Kids have school. What is wrong with the weekend?

At some point, we need to quit planning our lives around ESPN's television desires. If we don't, it's only a matter of time before we're playing games on Monday mornings due to ESPN's programming needs.

is right on here. It is not only lame it is kind of corporate, which makes me wonder why he is against it, come to think of it. I think the Monday night thing was an accommodation to ESPN. It is probably good for the economy. To heck with the students. Its probably Cheney's fault.

Sili

lothar98zag
03-05-2007, 01:41 PM

The WCC tourney final has been on Monday night since at least 1995. Why start complaining about it today?

DenDiegoZag
03-05-2007, 01:54 PM
While I was at Gonzaga, it did not really matter if the tournament included Sunday and Monday night games because it was typically the first weekend of spring break. I guess that having the tournament on either the beginning or end of spring break did not work out this year. I know many current and former students, myself included, who will/have/would have gone to the WCC Tourney regardless of when the games are. And judging by the crowd at the GU game last night...there was a very sufficient student presence there! Here's to another solid effort from the GU supporters in the crowd tonight. GO ZAGS!!!

UberZagFan
03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I suppose the geography Professor needs to get his two cents in on this thread.

Spokane to Portland = @350 miles.

San Francisco to Portland = @637 miles.

Los Angeles to Portland = @965 miles.

San Diego to Portland = @1086 miles.

El Paso to Portland = @1652 miles.

Miles are drive miles; not as the crow flies.

For further geography lessons, please see:

Foo Fighter's Geography Padding Lesson Thread (http://216.229.189.28/showthread.php?t=172)

TexasZagFan
03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
is right on here. It is not only lame it is kind of corporate, which makes me wonder why he is against it, come to think of it. I think the Monday night thing was an accommodation to ESPN. It is probably good for the economy. To heck with the students. Its probably Cheney's fault.
Sili

You got that right, Sili! First, they bust Theo and Josh. Now, they're the reason for the tournament finale being on a Monday night!

...oops, wrong Cheney...maybe that's how he got that clot in his leg...

siliconzag
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I can always count on you to make the distinction. There is Cheney which is a pretty low down place, and then there is the VEEP for whom the town was named. And did you know his daughter is a sinner?

Sili

pdine
03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
disclaimer: Not meant to insult GU fans...

... it's a lot easier to be passionate for a team that's constantly winning and expected to win the game you travel 350+ miles to see.

i don't like or support this philosophy, but it's true.