PDA

View Full Version : Thank you San Diego

23dpg
03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I actually jumped off the couch and pumped my fist after the game winning basket. It takes a little of the sting out.

HillBillyZag
03-21-2008, 02:20 PM
The only thing better is if we could have won also.

SWZag
03-21-2008, 02:20 PM
This USD victory takes away a bit of the sting. We can be proud of our fellow WCC Teams and I'm extremely proud of USD. The three WCC teams played tough and unfortunately, only one prevailed. I'll be rooting for USD the rest of the way...against another GU opponent, WKU.

Thanks for the little pain reliever San Diego.

SWZag

rennis
03-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Nice playing SD, nice coaching Billy!

johnwzag
03-21-2008, 02:33 PM
:) My bracket says USD wins again, but I am worried about Brandon. I cannot believe I am saying that! GU for 10 years, now this. At least it is a wcc team and we have the freshman and "Softmores". For a great run next year.

zagco
03-21-2008, 02:34 PM
That's the first real upset in the tournament in 3 years. Nice. San Diego is easy for Zagco to root for. They played Boise State earlier this year and got hammered, but they look like a much better team, and they have looked much better since about January. Solid, solid team. Very focused. Play to win. Everyone has a role. How refreshing.

HOOTER
03-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Out of the three WCC teams in the tourney, SD is the last one I would have expected to win a game. I'm shocked! It's bittersweet though and I'm sure I don't have to explain why.

johnwzag
03-21-2008, 02:35 PM
John W Zag will be pulling for USD, wishes WKU the best - Next year.

Areyoukiddingme
03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Do you think the students at that school knew their team was playing today? It is Friday which is the start of the weekend. Which means bull blasters mixed with Dom Pérignon and chased with Macallan 30 year.
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070809/hills_l.jpg

usd07
03-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for being such classy fans guys....i think 7 times out of ten your beat davidson. And 8 times out of 10 UConn beats us. Grier's stock just went even higher so I hope he is still here to coach this team next year!

Akzag
03-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for being such classy fans guys....i think 7 times out of ten your beat davidson. And 8 times out of 10 UConn beats us. Grier's stock just went even higher so I hope he is still here to coach this team next year!

Billy just signed a contract extension. He has no seniors graduating, and hopefully for you, nobody will try to go pro. I think you are good shape. If anything, it will be a hard act for Billy himself to follow next year.

No, you are fine USD, it is the rest of the WCC who should be worried.

Great victory.

[and just because it sounds so good, Jim Calhoun, a coach in the Hall of Fame, went 0-2 versus the WCC in 2008. :D ]

MedZag
03-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Calhoun stuttering in the press conference trying to "explain" the loss.

CRY YOUR BEAUTIFUL TEARS OF SADNESS JIM! CRY!

usd07
03-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Billy just signed a contract extension. He has no seniors graduating, and hopefully for you, nobody will try to go pro. I think you are good shape. If anything, it will be a hard act for Billy himself to follow next year.

No, you are fine USD, it is the rest of the WCC who should be worried.

Great victory.

[and just because it sounds so good, Jim Calhoun, a coach in the Hall of Fame, went 0-2 versus the WCC in 2008. :D ]

Yeah the extension helps...but if a big school comes in they will have plenty of money too buy it out. There was an article about it in the UT yesterday. If a school comes in with all that money it will be hard for a school with one year of b ball success to come close. Cant worry about that now, just have to enjoy this!

rennis
03-21-2008, 02:58 PM
CRY YOUR BEAUTIFUL TEARS OF SADNESS JIM! CRY!

BWAHAHAHA! word, taste it Calhoun!

jaszag
03-21-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm no big Calhoun fan either... so while I would've been a Torero fan anyway, it was sweeter still to see them topple UCONN. Fist pumps, but had to lock up the verbal outburst since I was watching streaming video in my cube.

A week-and-a-half ago, San Diego is down 14 in the conference tourney semis with just under 8 MINUTES LEFT IN THEIR SEASON. Now, a WCC tourney title, berth in the Big Dance, contract extension for Billy, a signature UPSET win in the big show to help recruiting...

My how fortunes can turn on a dime.

jake
03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Great win USD!! I was watching the game in my office (I feel the tournament justifies bending the no streaming video policy). When Jackson hit his jumper another guy and me both screamed and then realized "did we just scream in the office?" Good luck in the next round to the Torreros.

RenoZag
03-21-2008, 03:17 PM
So Calhoun lost to Gonzaga - North and Gonzaga - South this year. . .

smittyzag
03-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Congratulations to USD and Bill Grier

zagsfanforlife
03-21-2008, 03:23 PM
what a day. geesh.
I take a Zags tourney loss as bad as anyone. I cry hit things and am frustrated beyond words. But when Jackson hit that game winner I couldnt have been happier. My dad and I screamed gave each other high fives and for that moment I forgot about the Zags loss. Now of course reality sets back in, but geesh, now I have another team to root for in this tourney. What a gutsy performance by USD. They battle all the way through. Their best player gets hurt and then JOhnson and Pomare foul out. And Jackson had already missed the game winner to end quarter 4. Then he hits the game winner. Man, what a great win for USD and the WCC.

MickMick
03-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I am a San Diego fan.

ToreroStudent
03-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Looks like our 20 strong students will be with the team until Sunday! What a day. I wish everyone could have been here. Probably the most amazing experience I've ever had. i'm sure we'll see BJ and some other players at the hot tub tonight. We'll try and get you an update. He'll be playing Sunday. It won't be at 100% but he will play. I think he just cramped. Thats what it looked like. What a gutsy effort!

zagcheer78
03-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Congrats and keep it rolling

gugrad66
03-21-2008, 06:20 PM
what a day. geesh.
I take a Zags tourney loss as bad as anyone. I cry hit things and am frustrated beyond words. But when Jackson hit that game winner I couldnt have been happier. My dad and I screamed gave each other high fives and for that moment I forgot about the Zags loss. Now of course reality sets back in, but geesh, now I have another team to root for in this tourney. What a gutsy performance by USD. They battle all the way through. Their best player gets hurt and then JOhnson and Pomare foul out. And Jackson had already missed the game winner to end quarter 4. Then he hits the game winner. Man, what a great win for USD and the WCC.

Do you think Greer outcoached Few again or what. USD's victory was a coach's victory--strategy, system, play calling, motivation, etc. Gonzaga's loss was a coach's loss. Few's strategy, system, play calling, motivation, etc. were disastrous the last two games vs. Greer. Few might need some mentoring.

FuManShoes
03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes and no. Grier drew up the pick and pops for Pomare that killed UConn, but he didn't make the shots. Grier did not draw up Rob Jones' insane and very clutch up and under. Grier could not will the last second shot in. He came up with plan and got his players in position to win that game, but it was up to them to execute.

Few cannot prevent the Zags from repeatedly throwing the ball away on inbounds plays. He can't will in one of Austin's in-and-out shots. You guys screamed for Daye to see some quality PT. He did, and today he just didn't have his shot. You guys screamed for few to come up with some scheme to stop Curry. For a half, they did. I, too, question why GU went away from a "long" lineup, but the fact is, the guys on teh floor have to execute - whteher they'r ethere because the coach put em there (GU) or because no one else is left (USD).

mendiant
03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Grats to Greir and his team for this big win...

So glad to see a WCC team in the next round!

Go Torreros!

mendiant

ZagFanatic
03-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I too did a fist pump at the end of the game.

Consider: either USD or Western KY is a Sweet 16 team this year. As is either Villanova or Siena.

Tennessee struggles to get by American, and Duke has a heck of a time squeaking one out against Belmont. What a great tournament so far (with the obvious exception of GU losing today).

Ezag
03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Grier took the Zag "Magic" dust with him...yikes!

Zagineer
03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Thank you USD for carrying the WCC banner to the next level.

(My Mother-in-Law in Connecticut sends a very big THANK YOU also. She can't stand Coach Calhoun..... and neither can I.)

Go Torreros (at least,... until we meet again)!! :)

Zag79
03-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Few cannot prevent the Zags from repeatedly throwing the ball away on inbounds plays. He can't will in one of Austin's in-and-out shots. You guys screamed for Daye to see some quality PT. He did, and today he just didn't have his shot. You guys screamed for few to come up with some scheme to stop Curry. For a half, they did.

interesting thoughts. few can stop having matt throw in the ball can he not? that would prevent the 5 sec calls. im sure he can also scheme a much better defense against curry. give LG or Ira the chance to shut him down and if he still goes for 40 you know you did all you could. im not so sure most zag fans feel that way after watching the inept d on curry. Bill coached his team to a win, no questions asked.

bigjeep
03-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Congrats to SD...see ya Sunday!

Go Tops!