PDA

View Full Version : This one's on Bouldin

recordeditor
03-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry. I love Matty B, but this one is on him. He was awful. It wasn't just that he had a half dozen turnovers. It was that they were a hideous half dozen, the kind of passes that had little or no chance of doing anything good.

recordeditor
03-21-2008, 11:38 AM
I posted that out of frustration. I don't regret posting it or regret feeling that way. But upon reflection, I loved this team and I still do. And it has been an absolute pleasure to watch them compete this year. Every last player. I feel blessed. Next year is going to be terrific!

theothegreat21
03-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I tend to agree with you...I think the team really benefitted with LG on the court and Bouldin out, and I would have loved to have seen Micah play more in place of Matt

alaskazagnut
03-21-2008, 11:50 AM
or delete stuff you regret. What you said ain't that bad. bouldin wasn't the worst IMO. The only problem was his TO's. He shot 4-8 and had 5 reb's and 4 assts. Daye stunk it up IMO. He had a good steal and 6 reb's but was not making team plays and he was shooting horrible. We just never gelled as a team this year. That is up to the players to buy into Few's system 100%. Imagine what we will do next year with this experience, talent, and hopefully a return to solid, smart, fundamental basketball. That always opens up more opportunities for the fantastic dunks, the no look passes and trips to the final four.

recordeditor
03-21-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't think it anyone else should have been on the floor, I just think Matt should have stepped it up and played strong. He didn't. But he will have some serious opportunities to make amends in the future, methinks.

ebayzagfan
03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm sorry. I love Matty B, but this one is on him. He was awful. It wasn't just that he had a half dozen turnovers. It was that they were a hideous half dozen, the kind of passes that had little or no chance of doing anything good.

Matt had a hideous first half, a decent second half. He wasn't the reason we lost. The loss was a team loss, any number of missed opportunities. Turnovers were critical, and Matt had his share of those. We let Davidson corral a couple of critical, critical offensive boards late in the game that sealed our fate. Curry appeared to be unguardable. Wonder if he needs an agent! 2% of his future earnings stream would be a goldmine!

Did Micah get hit by a bus or what? He must have bed-sores from the amount of time spent on the pine today.

BroncoZAG615
03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't think it anyone else should have been on the floor, I just think Matt should have stepped it up and played strong. He didn't. But he will have some serious opportunities to make amends in the future, methinks.

I would bet my car that Matt agrees with you.

I'll go ahead and blame this one on Curry.

Ezag
03-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I agree with you Bouldin had a bad game (again) but we did get beat by 1 dude and it seems like every time he hit a shot it was over Bouldin or Gray. I am not sure why Few didn't stick LG on him like glue

gamagin
03-21-2008, 12:03 PM
we failed to keep it together. we had the lead and the mo.

I thought we had the best five on the floor when the lead was at about 11 points. Then there was a timeout & the lineup changed, the matchups changed and the mo started to disappear.

Don't know if it was a coaching mistake or the Davidson "drive" that got underway, or a combination, but the whole game took on a sea change. We seemed to start playing not to lose, instead of ramming it down their throats, as we had up to that point.

I do know that Curry, as good as he is, was shooting too many times without a hand in his face. So we had the wrong rabbit on him too often. He was not harassed.

He was encouraged and he rose to the occasion.

But, since we know by then that the other four are working to get the ball to Curry, why were the guys playing away from Curry letting their guys have enough room, space and time to find him ?

It was a team effort. Or lack of it. Not an individual failing, imo.

johnwzag
03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Can you imagine how MB feels right now? He did not loose the game or anything, we lost as a team. He had some good moves. I am hoping next year he will be consistant and deadly like he can be at times. Hmm? You know what I mean?

gbnyba17
03-21-2008, 12:08 PM
i dont think its fair to say this game was on any one player, and if it is, i couldnt agree more with bronco that this game is on curry. we NEED to learn how to put a team away. there are soooooo many things that could have been done that its not even worth pointing them out. curry flat out killed us. the most dissapointing thing is i really think we beat the other GU if given the chance. we wouldve had a ton of mismatches and IMO they are hugely overated. if we couldve snuck by davidson like we should have, i see this team gettin knocked out no sooner than the sweet 16. but i will stop now theres really no point. sucks to be left dreaming and wondering what couldve been again. go cougs!

recordeditor
03-21-2008, 12:08 PM
It was a team effort. Or lack of it. Not an individual failing, imo.

That's certainly true. I thought Bouldin coulda, shoulda, woulda stepped it up and make the difference in the game. But other players could have done that, too. There's always a lot of coulda, should, wouldas...

gonwick
03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
I think this game was pretty much the gonzaga season in a nutshell. Brilliant play at times in the first half, punctuated by dumb guard play (turnovers galore by Pargo and Bouldin, difficulty inbouding, Pargo continuously picking up the dribble, etc.) with rotations continually changing (and the most effective rotation broken up coming out of a timeout).
Gonzaga has a history of bad guard play in the tournament. I don't know if it's a function of great defense or our own shortcomings, but we will always be one and done until we figure it out. They're kids, of course, and just doing their best, but after watching every game this season, it's clear that they lack consistency. I don't know that "buying into the system" really means anything. I don't doubt that they'll be good next year, with time for everyone to mature (although we'll miss Pendo and Kuso), but age and time in the weight room don't correct bad decision making (see Pargo, who should be playing smarter as a junior). I love the guys, and they did their best, but terrible defense on Curry (who's simply a better player than any, or apparently all, of our guys) coupled with all of the above failings made for a terribly frustrating game. Of course, I'll be cheering loudly next year, and hoping that they start playing smarter and tougher.

deathchina
03-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm probably going to get murdered for saying this, but I don't really see what Pendo was giving us out there. I'd rather have seen Heytvelt and Daye get more run.

D Hark 2003
03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
THe only people that came to play today were Gray and Heytvelt, pargo had some his moments, but i thought the zags were looking like deer in headlights most of the time. It seemed like they were sleep walking out there. Bouldin did ok in the second half with some back cuts and lay ins, but the first half he was terrible. I couldnt believe he was still in the game after three TOs in a short period. Frustrating game all in all. Curry was unconscious.

Ezag
03-21-2008, 01:54 PM
It seemed like they were sleep walking out there.

That pretty much sums up most of the season- Other than St Joes and UConn game (which looking back was our "peak")

orzagfan
03-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I can't figure it out... why did Pargo just do almost nothing? And I agree Mat is great but he was so cold he should have come out... the game was so up and down and at the end incredibly frustrating! They are better than that!

MickMick
03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
THe only people that came to play today were Gray and Heytvelt, pargo had some his moments, but i thought the zags were looking like deer in headlights most of the time. It seemed like they were sleep walking out there. Bouldin did ok in the second half with some back cuts and lay ins, but the first half he was terrible. I couldnt believe he was still in the game after three TOs in a short period. Frustrating game all in all. Curry was unconscious.

Good post. Josh came to play. Gray came to play.

Pargo the Destroyer
03-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Go to Gozags.com, take a look at the pic on the front page, pendo, matt and josh, arms interlocked. Matts head is buried, he feels horrible. I hope no one on this board EVER performs to their "potential". When you dont perform to your potential you dont get a message board full of people trashing you, imagine being in his shoes. The kid feels horrible and knows he could have played better. Now he has this to go off of for the next 2 years....2 YEARS, he is a sophomore. He will be a great Zag, he is a good one now. Empathize with him a little and give him a break.

gugrad66
03-21-2008, 06:03 PM
or delete stuff you regret. What you said ain't that bad. bouldin wasn't the worst IMO. The only problem was his TO's. He shot 4-8 and had 5 reb's and 4 assts. Daye stunk it up IMO. He had a good steal and 6 reb's but was not making team plays and he was shooting horrible. We just never gelled as a team this year. That is up to the players to buy into Few's system 100%. Imagine what we will do next year with this experience, talent, and hopefully a return to solid, smart, fundamental basketball. That always opens up more opportunities for the fantastic dunks, the no look passes and trips to the final four.

I don't understand the comment about buying into Few's system 100%. I would think that there would be a couple of alternatives if really they didn't: 1) the players not buying in sit 2) the system get communicated in such a way that the players want to buy in. There is another alternative to consider though, and that is that the system may not be "all that it's cracked up to be anymore. In any event, the burden rests squarely on Few's lap. He's got a few months to figure it out.

gugrad66
03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Matt had a hideous first half, a decent second half. He wasn't the reason we lost. The loss was a team loss, any number of missed opportunities. Turnovers were critical, and Matt had his share of those. We let Davidson corral a couple of critical, critical offensive boards late in the game that sealed our fate. Curry appeared to be unguardable. Wonder if he needs an agent! 2% of his future earnings stream would be a goldmine!

Did Micah get hit by a bus or what? He must have bed-sores from the amount of time spent on the pine today.

I think that Downs' time on the bench when he needed to be in there, especially playing defense on Curry, is just another example of Few not know how to employ the team's talent effectively. Too bad

Air Force Zag
03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't understand the comment about buying into Few's system 100%. I would think that there would be a couple of alternatives if really they didn't: 1) the players not buying in sit 2) the system get communicated in such a way that the players want to buy in. There is another alternative to consider though, and that is that the system may not be "all that it's cracked up to be anymore. In any event, the burden rests squarely on Few's lap. He's got a few months to figure it out.

So what's the system fix? You've mentioned on several threads that Few's system is broken, but no recommendations, even though Few's system has changed over the course of the years in many ways.

Also, there is a reason why Downs doesn't get playing time...I won't pretend to know why (perhaps you answered it yourself with point #1), but I don't buy into the playing favorites theory. Consistent with the overall philosophy of the program, you earn your way on the floor and earn your way off.

btzag
03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
15 turnovers combined by Pargo/Bouldin/Gray is way too many to win a basketball game in the NCAA tourney. Most winning TEAMS do not have that many turnovers and these guys need to understand that for next year. I am sure Few and staff will point that out. Our guards were beaten by Davidson and as this game was contested on the perimeter, that really lost us the game. Of course you could also make the point that we had a HUGE size advantage so why did we not play to our strength and advantage? Why does Gonzaga always seem to try and beat another teams strength(outside shooting and guard play) instead of exploiting our own strengths???

I think that if GU is intent on recruiting size, we should use that size or we are just negating our advantage and that leads to upsets. Next years team needs to develop an identity this offseason and stick with it! Are we a pressing/fast break team? Pound it inside team with an incredible height advantage with Heytvelt/Daye/Sacre inside and Bouldin and Pargo? Balanced scoring group or dominated by Heytvelt, Pargo, and Daye? I think it's imperative to figure it out early and run with regardless of hurting some ego's.

ebayzagfan
03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
...we had a HUGE size advantage so why did we not play to our strength and advantage? Why does Gonzaga always seem to try and beat another teams strength(outside shooting and guard play) instead of exploiting our own strengths???

This is a spot-on comment. I think it boils down to setting the tempo of a game. We don't seem to consistently set the tempo. I'm not a huge WSU fan, but by god, Coach Bennett has his team determined to make their opponent adjust to the Cougs style, not the other way around. Josh had a solid game today, I thought. We should have really been going into him much more, especially late in the game. Pargo's rocket launched trey from about 28 feet, falling away ... man, where did that come from? Jeremy is experienced enough to know better. We just seem to freeze-up at the worst possible moments.

MickMick
03-21-2008, 10:18 PM
This is a spot-on comment. I think it boils down to setting the tempo of a game. We don't seem to consistently set the tempo. I'm not a huge WSU fan, but by god, Coach Bennett has his team determined to make their opponent adjust to the Cougs style, not the other way around. Josh had a solid game today, I thought. We should have really been going into him much more, especially late in the game. Pargo's rocket launched trey from about 28 feet, falling away ... man, where did that come from? Jeremy is experienced enough to know better. We just seem to freeze-up at the worst possible moments.

When Davidson's best rebounder was called for his 4th foul, my first thought was "feed it to Josh or have Jeremy drive the lane." So what does Jeremy immediately do? Launch an NBA three pointer that results in a long rebound for the other side. That was one bad looking shot. I was relieved to see coach Few give him an earful on the sideline....because he needed one. That was just poor, poor decision making at a clutch time in the game.

Zagineer
03-21-2008, 11:15 PM
And a Big DITTO to the vast majority of posts before me.

BroncoZAG615's post nailed it. Curry was not Matt's fault. Curry's performance was the team's fault.

Hmmm.... On further reflection, it may not have even been the team's fault. He made some shots that were simply impossible and defied the laws of gravity.

TomLambou
03-22-2008, 07:29 AM
This is on Few. Period.

When you have the talent and depth we have and a kid is having a horrible night you sit him down and see if you can get his head straight.

Few looks lost and confused.

I hope Few looks in the mirror and is man enough to admit he personally lost this game and the WCC championship.