PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Davidson, Curry, Pendo & Kuso

FuManShoes
03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm gonna take the high road. I know I want to blame someone, anyone. It hurts. But the fact is Davidson and Curry were everything they were billed to be and more. Curry made some incredibly tough shots, again and again and again. Contested shots. His teammates really stepped up at the end by getting boards, loose balls, and making shots.

I feel most for Pendo and Kuso. They came to Raleigh to win and deserved it for all they've given this program. My hat's off to both coaches, to Steven Gray for showing nerves of steel. He's the future, and the future is bright.

The Zags have never been deeper. It posed its own challenges this year and we can dissect the rotations and strategy ad nauseum. Now isn't the time (for me, at least). I just want to thank the Zags for another great year. We fans are incredibly spoiled. And someday, someday soon, the Zags are gonna climb the mountain on a trail blazed by so many players before them.

peace

P.S. - Please, if you must go negative, don't hijack this thread. Thanks!

ZaggyStardust
03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I second that... I love and appreciate the Zags and I hope everyone will take a minute to think before they post!

Akzag
03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Thank you Zags.

Thank you Kuso.

Thank you Pendo.

Retire #25.

MickMick
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Good Call FuMan

Davidson is a better team. Curry is what a college player destined for the NBA really looks like. I'm pulling for Davidson the rest of the way through.

Congrats to the Davidson faithful. Cling to the Cinderella years while they last. Become a consistent winner and it isn't long until you become targets. Targets from every angle. Other teams. fans, the national media, ESPN analysts. They will allow you to be trendy for only awhile. Cherish it while you can.

johnwzag
03-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Great game Davidson! I hope you beat GW and even Wis and Kansas. That makes GU look better :D. Go Hiltoppers and SDU. Sorry SMC, next year is gonna be fun. I am happy we made the dance because we did not show whch Zags would show up. The good zags showed up and Davidson just won it down the line. Good Job to Mark Few! I love Kuso too. Pendo was tough, but always had a hard time with quicker players. He is still mister Zag for is effort. Matt and Daye, work on your ball handling and help us win a national champship next years.

TRhyno
03-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I give it up to Curry...all I can say is WOW!

TheZagPhish
03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Big time hat tip to Davidson!

Fond and respectful farewell to Pendo and Kuso. Those guys made me smile and cheer more than I can say.

ZagNative
03-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks, FuMan! You express my sentiments nicely.

Wish Pendo and Kuso had had a happier game to go out on.

RenoZag
03-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Nice post, Fu. . .

Thanks to the Zags and good luck to Pendo & Kuso in the future.

Sarenyon
03-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Curry was awsome. He just took over that game, and made shots against some excellent defense. He will go very, very far if he stays in school. Davidson is legit and the home court did not hurt.

My bracket is totally ruined (w. WKY losing to Drake and the Zags loss) but I'm rooting for Davidson and WKY from now on. Enjoy it guys.

GO ZAGS - Next year will be great, but it's a long off season.

RVaWildcat
03-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Good Call FuMan

Davidson is a better team. Curry is what a college player destined for the NBA really looks like. I'm pulling for Davidson the rest of the way through.

Congrats to the Davidson faithful. Cling to the Cinderella years while they last. Become a consistent winner and it isn't long until you become targets. Targets from every angle. Other teams. fans, the national media, ESPN analysts. They will allow you to be trendy for only awhile. Cherish it while you can.

For me, this was an "I told you so" game right from the start.

And not Davidson or Gonzaga saying it to the other -- I'm talking between the Wildcat Faithful and the doubters.

If Davidson lost, all the critics would be saying, "See, Davidson's just a good Southern Conference team that doesn't deserve national ranking -- I told you so!"

Now, we faithful get to say, "Are you kidding me? We beat Gonzaga! We belong!"

You guys are tremendous -- awesome team and awesome fans. Today, we beat a great team that played a great game, which is exhilerating and has me giddy to the point of thinking we'll beat Georgetown handily. But we have a ways to go before we reach our goal of having a program as good as yours.

And Fu, thanks for this:
...the fact is Davidson and Curry were everything they were billed to be and more. Curry made some incredibly tough shots, again and again and again. Contested shots. His teammates really stepped up at the end by getting boards, loose balls, and making shots. ... especially for recognizing that there's more to us than Stephen Curry. (Not that we'd be where we are without him.)

I'm already looking forward to following the Zags next year. Who knows, maybe McKillop and Few will hit it off and start a home and home series. I'd love it. (Tell Coach Few I know people who'll take him fishing while he's here.)

One last thing: I still think it stinks we had to play each other in the first round.

rennis
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm already looking forward to following the Zags next year. Who knows, maybe McKillop and Few will hit it off and start a home and home series. I'd love it. (Tell Coach Few I know people who'll take him fishing while he's here.)

One last thing: I still think it stinks we had to play each other in the first round.

agreed and agreed. I would love to see this become a friendly rivalry a la St. Joe's. We'll see.

And I agree, it stinks we had to play you guys in the 1st round. I don't think it would have felt much better losing to a mid-tier BCS school, but it would have certainly been more fun to appreciate your first round win. :D

johnwzag
03-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Ouch, the "I told you so comment did hurt a little" and the "experts" being right did hurt a little. But I am a zag fan and that does not hurt at all.

RVaWildcat
03-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Ouch, the "I told you so comment did hurt a little" and the "experts" being right did hurt a little. But I am a zag fan and that does not hurt at all.

And that shouldn't hurt at all. You should be proud.

Plus, I apologize if I wasn't clear -- the last thing I wanted to do was gloat, give offense or say something hurtful. I was not trying to say, and I'm not now saying, and I will never say, "I told you so: we're better than you, Gonzaga", but I AM saying, "see what I mean, Jay Bilas et. al., I told you we deserve to be part of the national discussion."

And as I've said over here all week, I've become a huge zag fan. The joy I feel is about winning our first NCAAT game since 1969 -- as we've been reminded over and over and over; that joy has nothing to do with beating Gonzaga. [That will come when we beat Duke or Carolina!]

johnwzag
03-21-2008, 01:18 PM
And that shouldn't hurt at all. You should be proud.

Plus, I apologize if I wasn't clear -- the last thing I wanted to do was gloat, give offense or say something hurtful. I was not trying to say, and I'm not now saying, and I will never say, "I told you so: we're better than you, Gonzaga", but I AM saying, "see what I mean, Jay Bilas et. al., I told you we deserve to be part of the national discussion."

And as I've said over here all week, I've become a huge zag fan. The joy I feel is about winning our first NCAAT game since 1969 -- as we've been reminded over and over and over; that joy has nothing to do with beating Gonzaga. [That will come when we beat Duke or Carolina!]

Ah, no, Thank-you. I was fooled. I looked at the games you played and thought we could pull it off. If one of the teams had a bad game, it was gonna be a blow out. I now have more respect for Davidson. You guys deserve it. It was a great game. Thank-you! The refs called a pretty good game too. I was happy about that. Congrats! Maybe next year?

Please do beat GW and WIS and if you beat kansas, than you guys are gonna be the talk for years. Yes, you guys wanted this win bad and got it.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Bump

HillBillyZag
03-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Those wild cats scratched ole "Spike" up a little, but a few months off and some new blood will have him frothing at the mouth come this November. Back when the HillBilly was one, the Davidson Wildcats played in the OLD Southern Conference with WVU, Furman, VMI, Duke, The Citadel, William & Mary,etc. WVU's "Moo" Moore, Mark Workman, and "Red" Holmes were my heros when I played H.S. ball.Anyhow Go Cats! and I would love to see a home & home started.

rawkmandale
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Whoa - exactly when was that? We're going back a few years, right?

stan
03-22-2008, 06:14 AM
The Southern Conference is the oldest conference in the south and has the oldest basketball tournament in the nation. The SEC formed out of it in 1933. In the early 50s, UNC, Duke, NC St, WF, Va, Md, Clem, SC left to form the ACC. When Hundley and Jerry West made WVa a national power, they were in the SoCon. GW, WVa and Va Tech left in the 60s. ECU, W&M and Richmond left in the 70s. Marshall joined then and left in the 90s. Recently, VMI and ETSU left because of football problems.

Football is the #1 priority. Ga So and App have won a number of I-AA national championships.

As to the "told you so" aspect -- I think that Davidson fans are still amazed that so many people think our kids are not athletic. Lovedale has incredible speed and quickness for a 6-8 player. Max P-G is extremely quick (how many 6-6 white kids routinely defend jitterbug point guards?). Curry's smoothness belies incredibly quick hands and feet.

rawkmandale
03-22-2008, 09:47 AM
No doubting how well Davidson plays from this Zag fan. I hope you guys can keep it going. Winning tournament games is a combination of matchups, desire, and getting a hot hand going.