PDA

View Full Version : Daye

zagsfanforlife
03-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I think we saw why Few had reservations before about putting Daye in during a close game. He is a freshman!!!! And right now he is not mentally tough. Dont get me wrong, he has the potential to be one of the best players in GU history, but as of now, in the big games, he dissapears. Clear example: he is an 89 % free throw shooter and then misses 2 big ones with 26 seconds left. This doesnt happen unless the player is feeling the pressure. I much rather would have seen Downs in the game during crunch time. When Downs was in and we had that 1, 2, 2 zone going it was effective. Not sure why we got out of it. For a better note, I would have a good guess that all the players will be back. Pargo did not show enough today on the big stage to go pro, and Josh until today has not done anything to warrant pro consideration this year. Man, this is dissapointing, two years in a row a first round exit.

theothegreat21
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree that Daye had one of the worst games Ive seen him play here, but I dont think it had anything to do with mental toughness. This is the same game who beat St. Joseph's with big shots at the end, and who tookover the St. Mary's and Santa Clara games at the end. It was not nerves, it was just a bad game at a bad time. And it seemd like Steven was mentally tough enough as a freshman.

I agree that more Downs would have been nice, and I would have liked to have seen him for Bouldin throughout the game

D Hark 2003
03-21-2008, 11:16 AM
The 1-2-2 zone was really effective with Downs, I thought we should have run that all second half. Daye definitely played like a freshman at the end, he just looked frustrated because his shot wasn't falling. He should have kicked that late three he took to Gray who was hot and was wide open. i was pretty disappointed with Bouldin's play for most of the game. He turned it over a bunch of times, but did have some nice back door lay ins. Next year we should be able to make a run...

oczagfan
03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Why is scoring the only thing people notice? He rebounded and disrupted many shots. Sometimes shots don't fall and good players keep shooting because eventually they will start to go in. Give this kid a break. His head was messed with all season by not playing when he earned more minutes than was given to him. He is a player to the end and he should be appreciated !

BroncoZAG615
03-21-2008, 11:30 AM
I think people notice the scoring because he took two huge shots at the end of the game in the NCAA tournament. It's a make the shot your a hero, miss it your a goat situation.

Austin's abilities are unquestioned and I don't fault him for being in the game. I fault Few for leaving him sitting all year and then giving him huge minutes. All while your senior leader sits and watches. Some things have made more sense.

roxdoc
03-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Bouldin had a much worse game than Daye - turnover city that pretty much negated the points he made.

"Next year we should make a run" WHAT! WHY? Every body the same except we loose Pendo & Kuso! Will the offensive (for lack of a better word)scheme be the same?

TexasZagFan
03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Austin needs to head to the weight room for the next six months.

One thing I like about him, and I like it a LOT: he's not afraid to shoot the ball, no matter the situation. That bodes very well for next year.

As I decompress, we've got a lot of talent coming back, though I'm going to miss Pendo and Kuso, both for their heart.

I would be very surprised if any of our underclassmen attempt to go pro. Each and every player has considerable room for improvement, and one more year in college will be of great benefit to one and all.

timgozag
03-21-2008, 11:34 AM
We don't need an effective player that is consistent and making shots at a crunch time. Daye is not that player today. I am surprised why Mark Fews didn't use Pendo and Micah by the end of the game. They are more consistent than Daye. Daye will be a star but he is too young for the big dance.

It is always a problem with Gonzaga in the last few years in the NCAA tournament. They didn't come out strong, couldn't make shots when they were down. It is always next year, but I think we need some aggressive players like Adam Morrison who is all about winning the game.

oczagfan
03-21-2008, 11:37 AM
There is no offensive scheme on this team. Motion and motion only allows any player who feels they are open jerk up shots. It's not the players fault ... they are executing what a motion dictates. This team can't win without some set plays and that is a coaches job. It's pertty clear Bill Grier was the glue.

BroncoZAG615
03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
I disagree that Austin was too young for the NCAA tournament. Was Steven too young for the tournament today? They are both freshman and Steven put us on his back in the first half. Austin is an agressive player as well much like AMMO. Not yet as refined obvoiusly but similar attitudes. He wants the big shot.

The problem is not with Austin. He took open shots. Few has consistently had him on the bench at these times in previous games save for the Santa Clara away game when he was unreal. He just was not on it today but coaching was atrocoius.

zagsfanforlife
03-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I disagree that Austin was too young for the NCAA tournament. Was Steven too young for the tournament today? They are both freshman and Steven put us on his back in the first half. Austin is an agressive player as well much like AMMO. Not yet as refined obvoiusly but similar attitudes. He wants the big shot.

The problem is not with Austin. He took open shots. Few has consistently had him on the bench at these times in previous games save for the Santa Clara away game when he was unreal. He just was not on it today but coaching was atrocoius.

Totally disagree. When a coach puts you in, you need to be ready to play. Ive played against Daye Since high school and watched him all year this year and his problem has always been that when his shots aren't falling, his mental toughness shows. He starts missing and missing and missing. When your shots not falling do the other things, but do not keep jacking up shots when you have other people on the team that can score. You guys really believe that his nerves and mental toughness was not shown when he missed two free throws with 26 seconds left! The kid is an 89 percent free throw shooter! At 89 percent you dont miss two in a row if you have mental toughness. Its not a knock against the kid. It will come. He has years to grow. All kids are different. Gray is mentally tough as of now. Daye just needs to mature. All will be fine.

BroncoZAG615
03-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Totally disagree. When a coach puts you in, you need to be ready to play. Ive played against Daye Since high school and watched him all year this year and his problem has always been that when his shots aren't falling, his mental toughness shows. He starts missing and missing and missing. When your shots not falling do the other things, but do not keep jacking up shots when you have other people on the team that can score. You guys really believe that his nerves and mental toughness was not shown when he missed two free throws with 26 seconds left! The kid is an 89 percent free throw shooter! At 89 percent you dont miss two in a row if you have mental toughness. Its not a knock against the kid. It will come. He has years to grow. All kids are different. Gray is mentally tough as of now. Daye just needs to mature. All will be fine.

I don't really see how we disagree completely actually I agree with you. The only thing I really disagreed with was saying Austin is too young for the tournament (see Steven).

I also faulted the staff for leaving Austin in and Micah etc the bench. Thats about it.

TM27
03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Tough one to argue here...but let me try this angle: Austin shot was not falling today... thats it. You played against him in high school and when his shot wasnt falling he kept shooting? .... good. I hope he continues that mentality here. Devils advocate...Not being mentally tough means that when your shot is not falling you play scared and stop looking for your shot (ie Josh Shipp). If we are arguing that Steven is tougher mentally than Daye, then I agree. I think Steven is tougher mentally than everyone else on our team...that includes Pargo (who is a close close close second).

zagsfanforlife
03-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Tough one to argue here...but let me try this angle: Austin shot was not falling today... thats it. You played against him in high school and when his shot wasnt falling he kept shooting? .... good. I hope he continues that mentality here. Devils advocate...Not being mentally tough means that when your shot is not falling you play scared and stop looking for your shot (ie Josh Shipp). If we are arguing that Steven is tougher mentally than Daye, then I agree. I think Steven is tougher mentally than everyone else on our team...that includes Pargo (who is a close close close second).

My argument about playing him in hs refers to once his shot starts missing he gets down on himself and continues to miss.

TM27
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
My argument about playing him in hs refers to once his shot starts missing he gets down on himself and continues to miss.

And my argument (if there is one) is that only the elite few can turn on something that cant be turned on...i.e Jordan, Bryant, Lebron. Most players at even the best levels are streaky. I would be more discouraged if he stopped looking for his shot altogether, not if he tries to shoot his way out of it. But really you have a point...so not much reason to continue this (unless we were at a watering hole). As dissapointed as I am with the end to this season...I am extremely excited about Daye, Gray, and eventually Sacre. I would love to see Taylor join this group :)