PDA

View Full Version : Huskies fall to Valpo 72-71

ClarkstonZag
03-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Romar has got to be on the "Hot Seat" lists for next season.

ZagNative
03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Wow ... Romar has a big fat long-term contract ... My Husky-loving UW grad son still thinks he's great ... :confused:

Rangerzag
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Wow ... Romar has a big fat long-term contract ... My Husky-loving UW grad son still thinks he's great ... :confused:

Where DID you go wrong??????

:jk:

Angelo Roncalli
03-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Former Zag Calum McLeod saw some action for Valpo.

ZagNut08
03-19-2008, 07:32 PM
wonder if they made a profit after paying to be allowed to play in this prestigious post-season tournament

VinnyZag
03-19-2008, 07:40 PM
So ... a proud member of the mighty Pac-10, the self-proclaimed "best league in college basketball" loses a home game to ... the fourth-place team from the Horizon League.

That's awesome. How's that new national schedule working out, Huskies?

rawkmandale
03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
To be a little bit fair, they did lose Wallace to a knee injury in the first two minutes of the game, and Brockman didn't enter the game until the 13 minute mark - obviously was not himself.

MedZag
03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
To be a little bit fair, they did lose Wallace to a knee injury in the first two minutes of the game, and Brockman didn't enter the game until the 13 minute mark - obviously was not himself.

There is no "fair" when it comes to the huskies.

I will now proceed to giggle like a little schoolgirl with glee.

http://www.finaljudgement.net/bigdog.jpg

El Voce
03-19-2008, 08:06 PM
wonder if they made a profit after paying to be allowed to play in this prestigious post-season tournament

Well... I doubt it! According to today's Seattle papers, it cost UW 60 grand for the right to host such a prestigious game. And the announced attendance was 3,227. What a fiasco!

CarolinaZagFan
03-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Mmmm OUCH, thats gotta be tough for Romar to swallow...please tell me Valpo won on a buzzer-beater. That would make it even better. haha

VinnyZag
03-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Oh, you and your sense of fairness. It's much more fun to mock the Huskies.

Rangerzag
03-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Well... I doubt it! According to today's Seattle papers, it cost UW 60 grand for the right to host such a prestigious game. And the announced attendance was 3,227. What a fiasco!

I think tix were $15.00

hp 11C says: $48,405

net: $11,595

National Exposure: PRICELESS ;)

FuManShoes
03-19-2008, 08:19 PM

I beg to differ. Brockman scored another double-double (22 pts, 12 rbs), and the Huskies again stunk it up from the free throw line (11-for-24). Seems like a normal game to me.

AllezZags
03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
some are finally questioning Romar on that board. Still plenty of apologists. I find the whole thing laughable.

Their fans are so myopic- they are suggesting that Jamie Dixon or Mark Few might be interested in their prestigious job. what a laugh. Sorry Dawgs- you're made your bed with LoRo. now you get to sleep with him through a couple more seasons of .500 ball and no post season before you get a new coach.

VinnyZag
03-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Their fans are so myopic- they are suggesting that Jamie Dixon or Mark Few might be interested in their prestigious job.

Wow, what would make them think Dixon or Few would take that mess? They'd be lucky to get Ken Bone back.

MedZag
03-19-2008, 08:33 PM
some are finally questioning Romar on that board. Still plenty of apologists. I find the whole thing laughable.

Their fans are so myopic- they are suggesting that Jamie Dixon or Mark Few might be interested in their prestigious job. what a laugh. Sorry Dawgs- you're made your bed with LoRo. now you get to sleep with him through a couple more seasons of .500 ball and no post season before you get a new coach.

And bruce pearl! HAHA! The guy is coaching a NATIONAL TITLE CONTENDER right now, is revered by his fan base and fellow UT coaches, and is rolling in more cash and recruits than UW could ever deliver.

Classic.

GoZAGsMang
03-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Looks like romar was right not to play the ZAGs.

Think Collum may still have a bit of ZAGs in him.

VinnyZag
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Looks like romar was right not to play the ZAGs.

Yeah, it's a good thing. Playing UW this year would've HURT GU's RPI.

wazZag
03-19-2008, 09:31 PM
It's nice going over to the husky board. Most reasonably intelligent fans are angry with the direction of the program / romar. However, Fetters remains steadfast in kissing romar's ass. Good comedy.

kylasdad
03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
imagine if Brockman would have chosen to come to GU...He could have played in the big dance 4 straight years and dang could GU use him.

dpouley
03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
It's nice going over to the husky board. Most reasonably intelligent fans are angry with the direction of the program / romar. However, Fetters remains steadfast in kissing romar's ass. Good comedy.

Most fans are not ready to jump on the "fire Lorenzo" bandwagon, because they realize where the program was before he got to UW and where the program is now.

I know that most on this board want nothing more than to see the Huskies fall into oblivion, and most are ready and willing to take any shot that they can at the Huskies.

But the truth of the matter is, before Romar came to Washington, the Huskies were a perennial doormat in the Pac 10, with an occasional NCAA tournament appearance. With Romar they have proven to achieve things that most Husky fans never could have imagined. And although the past two years have been disappointing, I think it would be a rash decision to remove Romar from his job. FWIW.

GoZags
03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Most fans are not ready to jump on the "fire Lorenzo" bandwagon, because they realize where the program was before he got to UW and where the program is now.

I know that most on this board want nothing more than to see the Huskies fall into oblivion, and most are ready and willing to take any shot that they can at the Huskies.

But the truth of the matter is, before Romar came to Washington, the Huskies were a perennial doormat in the Pac 10, with an occasional NCAA tournament appearance. With Romar they have proven to achieve things that most Husky fans never could have imagined. And although the past two years have been disappointing, I think it would be a rash decision to remove Romar from his job. FWIW.

Funny. I thought the year before the Zags' Elite 8 the Huskies were a fraction of a second from the Elite 8.

dpouley
03-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Funny. I thought the year before the Zags' Elite 8 the Huskies were a fraction of a second from the Elite 8.

Bender went to the Sweet 16 one time in 9 seasons? A career 116-142 record at UW? An overall lack of excitement about the basketball program?

It should be clear to anyone that UW is better with Romar as their coach than they were with Bender, but if you want to argue with me, so be it.

I never made the argument that Romar was god's gift to coaching, I just said that he was a better fit at UW than many of the coaches before him.

GoZags
03-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Who is arguing?

What you describe as an "NCAA appearance" others may describe as a Sweet 16. In some circles, there's a differnce.

BTW, how has Romar done now that all of the guys he inherited are gone?

Seems to me he's had one "post" season game (which he lost tonight).

Also seems to me the other guy wasn't too chicken to play the Zags.

dpouley
03-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Who is arguing?

What you describe as an "NCAA appearance" others may describe as a Sweet 16. In some circles, there's a differnce.

BTW, how has Romar done now that all of the guys he inherited are gone?

Seems to me he's had one "post" season game (which he lost tonight).

Also seems to me the other guy wasn't too chicken to play the Zags.

What did I describe as an "NCAA appearance?"

I said one Sweet 16 appearance in 9 years, I am not sure where you are getting the "NCAA appearance" reference?

They "Romar inherited all of the players" argument is completely inaccurate, and it is an argument that has been completely exposed numerous times.

Bender recruited players:

Will Conroy
Brandon Roy (who left the team before Bender was fired and Romar convinced to come back to the team)
Errol Knight (transfered to GU)
Anthony Washington (transfered to PSU)
Jeffery Day (transfered to Creigton)

Romar recruited players:

Tre Simmons
Mike Jensen
Hakim Rollins
Bobby Jones
John Brockman
Justin Dentmon
Joel Smith
Nate Robinson (football recruit that ended up coming to play for Romar)

So that claim you are making about Romar winning with Bender's players? Not so accurate is it?

You asked who was arguing, and it is pretty obvious that you are. And not only are you arguing, you are doing a poor job of it.

Zagineer
03-20-2008, 12:41 AM
This thread is a very emotional subject that conjures up a variety of responses.

ClarkstonZag: I'm not sure if you're a troll or a true Zag. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out. (Personally, I'm leaning towards a troll.) Be on your toes, fellow Zags. Don't let your emotions dictate your words when you see a post from ClarkstonZag. Take the High Road.

ZN: Say it ain't so!! Ohhhh, the trials and tribulations we parents must endure!! ;) Seriously, congratulations on being the parent of a college graduate, no matter where they attended school.

Angelo: I'm glad you pointed it out on the board. I was listening to the game on 950KJR Seattle driving home from work when I heard that Calum McLeod was a Valpo and in the game. Once a Zag, a Zag for life. I wish him the best.

MedZag: Awesome photo. I'm thinking of enlarging it and hanging it in my office at work for my Husky Alumni co-workers to see. I was fortunate enough to attend the last UW/Zag game in K2 with my daughhter when she was still in Law School. That was the loudest game that I have ever attended anywhere. Louder than the Spokane Coliseum when the first goal was scored by the Jets on their way to winning their first Allan Cup in Amateur Hockey in 1970 and even louder than Quest Field a couple years ago when the Seahawks played and beat the NY Giants. I was there for both events.

As for Coach Romar: I have mixed emotions over the long term. Let us not forget that it was Coach Romar, while in Missouri, that counseled Dan Dickau to become a Zag. It wasn't until the Husky Goons hacked down Derek Raivio that Romar's position fell to the cellar on my chart. (What a sandwich job that was!)

And taking all of this in at the 30,000 foot level, let's all be thankful and enjoy the fact that we are once again one of 64 privileged teams to be in the NCAA tournament.

GoZags
03-20-2008, 04:25 AM
"But the truth of the matter is, before Romar came to Washington, the Huskies were a perennial doormat in the Pac 10, with an occasional NCAA tournament appearance."dpouley
------------------------------
You're right. Romar is the greatest. Of course some of the guys were "his".

Conroy, Roy and the football guy were merely role players, right? They weren't the absolute heart and soul of Husky Basketball for a magical three year NCAA run (which kind of evaporated when they left). It's been all Romar -- Romar with his stellar recruiting, Romar with his vaunted "national" schedule and Romar with his coaching.

Yep. You're right.

dpouley
03-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Yep. You're right.

I know I am.

zag944
03-20-2008, 08:19 AM
National exposure huh?

He got exposed all right.....

AllezZags
03-20-2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatCBRankings.htm

I realize this site is all for fun, but there is something to it.

dpouley
03-20-2008, 11:23 AM
National exposure huh?

He got exposed all right.....

Look, I am not picking a fight with anyone about Gonzaga. I am a fan of both teams, and I am a Husky first and foremost, I have never denied this. And in this case I am defending my team, why does that incur the wrath of most Bulldogs?

GoZags, is completely off-base in his assessment of Romar vs. Bender and the reason he is off-base is that he has a bias against the Huskies, as many of you are showing you have as well. I am not speaking bad about the Zags, I am simply defending the Huskies.

GoZags
03-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Look, I am not picking a fight with anyone about Gonzaga. I am a fan of both teams, and I am a Husky first and foremost, I have never denied this. And in this case I am defending my team, why does that incur the wrath of most Bulldogs?

GoZags, is completely off-base in his assessment of Romar vs. Bender and the reason he is off-base is that he has a bias against the Huskies, as many of you are showing you have as well. I am not speaking bad about the Zags, I am simply defending the Huskies.

Huh?

I didn't mention Bender once. You did -- over and over.

You mentioned that before Romar showed up the Huskies were a doormat and got an occassional NCAA tourney bid. I merely pointed out that some may think a last second Rip Hamilton jumper taking a team out of the Elite 8 is a little different than an occassional appearance.

Again, you'll have to show me where I pitted Romar vs Bender. I believe the only reference dealt with the fact that Romar is a chicken for taking the Zags off the schedule in favor of being more "national".

lothar98zag
03-20-2008, 01:35 PM
At least UW made the Sweet 16 this year. It is still to be determined if GU can do the same.

zagmantis2001
03-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd have to say that most of the wrath over Huskies, at least on my part, is

1. Romar taking a powder on the home and home with Gonzaga. Its supposed to be for a "national" schedule, but we all know its because GU, WSU and some other coaches turned in Dollar for recruiting violations. He's acting like a baby.
2. Husky fans in general. I know every fan site has its bad apples, I just cannot stand your fans. What kind of fan posts GU players phone numbers on their website after a loss in the tournament so they can call them up and harass them? It's a pit of vipers over there. There are two teams that I love to see lose: Duke and Washington.

sittingon50
03-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Great find. That chart is very useful.

GoZags
03-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd have to say that most of the wrath over Huskies, at least on my part, is

1. Romar taking a powder on the home and home with Gonzaga. Its supposed to be for a "national" schedule, but we all know its because GU, WSU and some other coaches turned in Dollar for recruiting violations. He's acting like a baby.
2. Husky fans in general. I know every fan site has its bad apples, I just cannot stand your fans. What kind of fan posts GU players phone numbers on their website after a loss in the tournament so they can call them up and harass them? It's a pit of vipers over there. There are two teams that I love to see lose: Duke and Washington.

Romar being a chicken has far more to do with him getting handed his lunch on a regular basis than the myriad of Cameron Dollar violations.

zagmantis2001
03-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Maybe losing most of the time was the driver, I don't know. I also wonder if he was behind that hatchet job of an article in the PI a few months back quoting Pac-10 anonymous coaches. Wouldn't be a shock.

dpouley
03-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Romar being a chicken has far more to do with him getting handed his lunch on a regular basis than the myriad of Cameron Dollar violations.

I am not disputing that point at all. I would not go so far as to say he was chicken, but I do think the record against the Zags has a great deal to do with the postponement of the series.