PDA

View Full Version : Lets just be who we are.

HillBillyZag
03-19-2008, 10:02 AM
No matter how far in the dance we get or how tough our out of Conference schedule is, we will never be accepted by most National media as anything other than a "Mid Major". Its really no big thing and personally HBZ believes that is a label to be worn with pride. We will always have problems getting the BCS powers and "Big State U's of the hoops world to come into K2, and other then the time of day all we will ever get from them is an away, or so called "neutral" site affair.Lets get at least three long term home and homes with the toughest "mid major" teams possible. Playing Creighton, Xavier, Butler, Southern Ill. St. Joes, Drake, and teams of that ilk, who would be more likely to give us a "home & home series would be both highly entertaining and build some great long term rivalries. Add this to our two or three trap games with the "big boys" and we would be better prepared for the WCC season which is our path to the dance anyhow.If they insist on calling Gonzaga a "mid Major" lets just concentrate on remaining one of the best.

FuManShoes
03-19-2008, 10:17 AM
With all due respect, I think that's the wrong philosophy, and I'm glad it's one the Zags have refused to embrace. Kids, fans and boosters aren't inspired by teams whose scheduling is based on bracket-buster matchups. They want the big boys. As far as I can tell, this program refuses to believe that it is anything less than an elite national program that will schedule, recruit, seek coverage and position itself as such. Of course there are limitations, and I think those with better knowledge of the program have spoken to some of the ways the Zags play to their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. But on the whole, the idea that the Zags should "accept their station" or be happy playing their peers is wrong-headed. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point. All I know is every other mid-major with aspirations of long-term success looks to GU as the model. That should tell us something. The Zags don't need to change or worry about a thing, other than making sure the players on the court are always working as tirelessly as those behind the scenes to keep this train rolling.