PDA

View Full Version : Rick Majerus

Rubbadub
03-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Horrible horrible announcer at times...however "Bouldin and Pargo, there are no two better guards..." I like him a little bit better now.

gueastcoast
03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I have to admit that comment softened my view of him a little. He's been a bit of a Zag hater over the years but has been pretty respectful tonight.

brasszag
03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
... two stronger guards... it was

:-)

That's not a bad thing either.

Ezag
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Majerus is crap and half the time does not know what he is talking about.

Rubbadub
03-04-2007, 06:36 PM
he usually does know what he's talking about, he's just a terrible announcer. the stopping to catch his breath in the middle of a comment and the mispronunciation are really bad.

Birddog
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
the mispronunciation are really bad He called them "Toreos". I like him though despite the name butchering. He knows hoops. What's worse, him butchering names or fans not hearing clearly what he says ala "strongest guards" in the country?

Birddog

TuckC
03-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Met him at the PNIT, pretty nice guy. He thought they'd be a quality team (better than what they've been). He basically earned alot of hate for the Morisson comment. That is what I've heard. "What does he know."

Chewbacca
03-04-2007, 07:03 PM
He only refered to Pargo as Prego once, not bad.

TuckC
03-04-2007, 07:05 PM
:roll::roll::roll::roll:

gueastcoast
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Of course the ESPN graphic keeps referring to "Jermey Pargo", which doesn't help Majerus get it right.

brasszag
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
I loved Tory-rows :)

Rubbadub
03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I think the T-oreos was a freudian slip

brasszag
03-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Gyno Paw-mare?

Dude - elocution lessons.

Rubbadub
03-04-2007, 07:19 PM
i heard gyno parmar

gamagin
03-04-2007, 07:34 PM
He called them "Toreos". I like him though despite the name butchering. He knows hoops. What's worse, him butchering names or fans not hearing clearly what he says ala "strongest guards" in the country?
--

anyone hear MICK-UH for Micah ?

otherwise, i agree w/you birddog. he's excellent with x's and o's, but, imo, doesn't do enuf prep to pronounciate or enuf homework on the teams he's covering, thus only skims the surface w/standard or outdated info about a team like GU. If we're good enough to make the dance all those years, he needs to get the story and the names right. Sorta like the gon AAW GUH thing. right bridgod ?

gueastcoast
03-04-2007, 07:38 PM
A little bit of the hate is creeping back, I think he's overdoing the "resume without Heytvelt" point. Not an incorrect point, but he's made it at last three times.

Birddog
03-04-2007, 07:49 PM
"otherwise, i agree w/you birddog. he's excellent with x's and o's, but, imo, doesn't do enuf prep to pronounciate or skim the surface w/info about a team like GU. If we're good enough to make the dance all those years, he needs to get the story and the names right. Sorta like the gon AAW GUH thing. right bridgod ?"

Yeah Gamigan, I agree, however, I'm starting to think that Majerus is one of those people that just can't get names right, sort of a real life Norm Crosby, just not as funny. What kind of Scotch were you drinking? Single malt?

Birddog

ZagSlug
03-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Majerus + Bouldin = Man Crush

Part of his "charm" is his mispronunciation. Either you love him or you hate him.

I like the fact that he has a term for every move a player takes.

TR11Zag
03-04-2007, 08:10 PM
He mistakely refers to Gonzaga as "we" from time to time....I love that.

SteeleMan
03-04-2007, 08:13 PM
i like him for the simple fact that he really knows the game... unlike FSN announcers who are, well, just announcers.

zaguarxj
03-04-2007, 08:20 PM
He insisted that Kuso got his 5th foul because he followed through on the block and he should have stayed vertical. While he's saying this, the replay shows Kuso with his hands straight up in the air, not coming down with his arm, not at all trying to "swat the ball into the 3rd row" as Majerus was saying he did.

I also though it strange that they kept talking about what a great game Downs was having, offensively, when his shooting % was pretty sub-par and his free throw % wasn't all that great either. Maybe I'm just already getting used to seeing better shooting than that from Micah...

scrooner
03-04-2007, 08:22 PM
I always feel like I learn something new when he's announcing. If ya call it D-fence, you might as well call it O-fence.

Rubbadub
03-04-2007, 08:34 PM
In announcing the scu vs smc game they were talking about Pariseau and he just said, "he's from Spokane, i wonder how he got away from the Zags."

He definitely does no homework.

soonerterp
03-04-2007, 09:40 PM
He only refered to Pargo as Prego once, not bad.

He dropped a Ravio in there too (as opposed to the proper RYE-v-oh)

Let's see, Prego is a brand of pasta sauce, and Ravioli is a pasta. Maybe he had dinner on his mind.

Sarenyon
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Will Rick, dinner is always on his mind.

T-oreos, LOL!!!

But really, if he would just do a little more homework, I think he would be excellent, mispronunciations and all... because he knows the game and I learn from him when I listen. Much better than others.

Great Game Zags, polish up on the gimmes from the stripe and let's win tomorrow.

john montana
03-04-2007, 10:00 PM
at one point he mentioned how the zags always "play zone or man to man defense on the end line out of bounds."

good choices rick.

tobizag
03-04-2007, 10:09 PM
montana,

lol. I didn't hear that one. wow...

I guess the Zags usually either run a fast break or slow the pace.

fantastic.

sullyzag66
03-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Majerus has always been a Sean Mallon fan. I've heard him comment in more than one Gonzaga broadcast how savvy Mallon is.

demian
03-04-2007, 11:54 PM
If you thought Majerus was bad in the GU vs USD game, he actually called Omar Samhan of SMU, Omar Salmon.

wiszag
03-05-2007, 04:12 AM
Who has a bigger man-crush on Bouldin, Jazz or Big Rick.

Majerus is a piece of work, he may be one of the most interesting guys ever. Very Catholic, very devoted to his mother, an absolute sports nut. The guy has never seen a meal or an open college coaching position that he didn't fall in love with. He was a smidgen away from being Wisconsin's basketball coach before Bo Ryan got the job.

drnoe
03-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Majerus has always had good things to say about Bouldin every Zags' game he has worked.

a13coach
03-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Majerus + Bouldin = Man Crush

My brother called my 3 times during the game to highlight Majerus' "fascination" with Matt...he is convinced RM has a thing for Matt.:(

tobizag
03-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Majerus did say that Matt "has a perfectly proportioned body." No joke.

zagzealot
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
My favorite Majerus moment of the night was when he was saying that Downs can't take it strong to the basket cuz he's so skinny and he needs more calories and suggested that Downs join them for dinner tonight after the game.

HillBillyZag
03-05-2007, 09:39 AM
I have to admit enjoying Coach M's accurate description of the how's and why's things are occuring on the court and his assessment of the talent of the teams. This FAR outweigh his mis-pronunciations, slow delivery and other on air goofs. The man knows basketball and explains it well.
Of course I grew up listening to play by play guys like Dizzy Dean, Dandy Don Meredith, Ernie Harwell, Bob Prince and Jimmy Dudley. These guys painted a word picture of any event they covered and kept you laughing as well. Probably the best basketball announcer I have ever heard is Joe Tate of the Cleveland Cavs. If there is a good radio play by play guy doing a game, I will often turn off the T.V.sound and listen to the radio while I watch. I find most T.V. guys are not as colorful and entertaining.

john montana
03-05-2007, 09:53 AM
i know he can coach, but can't get by his language skills. when he can communicate, he usually makes a good point.

i like him better than len elmore though.

GonzPeter
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Gyno Paw-mare?

Dude - elocution lessons.

Not to defend Majerus' ("Oh-fence") elocution, but that's how the area announcer was pronouncing it last night as well.

gamagin
03-05-2007, 03:11 PM
asked << What kind of Scotch were you drinking? Single malt? >>

Macallan's. But first I pray to it.

ZagPants
03-05-2007, 03:12 PM
asked << What kind of Scotch were you drinking? Single malt? >>

Macallan's. But first I pray to it.

Hopefully, you're not praying afterwards!

jazzdelmar
03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Nope, no man-thing for MB; I'm more the Hansborough's mom and Coach Brady's wife type of guy......

gamagin
03-05-2007, 04:00 PM
<<If there is a good radio play by play guy doing a game, I will often turn off the T.V.sound and listen to the radio while I watch. I find most T.V. guys are not as colorful and entertaining. >>

I think my favorite play by play announcer was vin scully of the dodgers.

Don't know where you live, but the spokane radio coverage is pretty darn good and richard fox as the number two is about as knowledgable about the zags as anyone.

The problem is there is a delay between the play on TV and the radio cast. The ball has swished or cleared the rim a second or so before the shot is taken on TV. Otherwise, I'd love to listen to tom and richard on radio and watch the action on tv, fwiw.

mdZag23
03-05-2007, 04:18 PM
He's NOT BILLY PACKER! I almost puked hearing him cut Jim Nantz off incessantly telling us how the Tyler Hanborough foul was not intentional!

What a Jackass!