PDA

View Full Version : No Miracles, so Idaho fires Coach

Zag 77
03-18-2008, 03:20 PM
I wonder what they are smoking down in Moscow. George Pfeiffer took the job 2 years ago when they had trouble finding any applicants. They pay him and his staff diddlysquat, and nickle and dime the program. Surprise ! there are no miracles and the team does about as expected. So, of course its the coach's fault and they fire him today.

vparcher
03-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Back home for Dan?

KSTATEZAG
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I took a class from Pfeiffer at LCSC--it was a basketball coaching class.
He knew alot of X's and O's.
I remember him being very fond of the 'Zags eventhough the was very gruff.
Raw Deal IMO

VinnyZag
03-18-2008, 03:30 PM
how about Kelvin Sampson?

He'd probably be OK there ... cell reception is crappy in Moscow.

lothar98zag
03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I wonder what they are smoking down in Moscow. George Pfeiffer took the job 2 years ago when they had trouble finding any applicants. They pay him and his staff diddlysquat, and nickle and dime the program. Surprise ! there are no miracles and the team does about as expected. So, of course its the coach's fault and they fire him today.
pathetic

SunDevilGolfZag
03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Ridiculous. Unless there is something happened that we don't know about, the President of the U of I should take a good look in the mirror and then fire himself for giving his own school a black eye and creating a shambles in the program right during the recruiting period. Not fair to current team or fans, much less the currentr quality coach. Hey Pres./Board of Regents, what a great institution you run!:o :o :o :o

CDC84
03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7444#more

A few names that surfaced Tuesday as possible candidates were former Utah and Eastern Washington coach and current Gonzaga assistant Ray Giacoletti; WSU assistant Matt Woodley; former San Diego coach Brad Holland; Portland State coach Ken Bone, whose team won the Big Sky Conference tournament and opens against top-seeded Kansas in the NCAA tournament; Southern California assistant and former College of Southern Idaho coach Gib Arnold; and former Wyoming coach and Colorado assistant Steve McClain. Itís believed that Giacoletti isnít interested.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2008, 03:13 AM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7444#more

Why would anyone take that job? No wonder Ray's not interested...he'd be taking a pay cut.

mtzaga
03-19-2008, 03:42 AM
AD Rob Spear has two big problems. Football and basketball.

CDC84
03-19-2008, 08:34 AM
I think Portland State head man Ken Bone is going to be the next Oregon State coach. I mean, leaving PSU to go to Idaho is a lateral move at best, if not a downgrade.

HillBillyZag
03-19-2008, 10:26 AM
C'mon Idaho, whats your story? You get a coach who is a solid teacher and has some goals in sight to build your program and when he does'nt win the Conference or get you to the dance, you pull the rug out from under him. Why not face fact, while you represent some fine people and a beautiful State, Moscow is not, or is it ever likely to be "tobacco road" or the "PAC 10".. You need to find a Coach whose love of the game is bigger than his/her ego and who will be able to recruit Idaho, Washington, Utah, and Montana kids who slip below the radar.Concentrate on kids who have "character, potential, and will fit into your coaches style of play. Granted, you will probably continue to "take your lumps" for a few seasons, but real fans will love seeing the kids,play, and hopefully graduate. Speaking as a fan, I would find a guy who loves the motion offense and playing tough, physical defense, as the kids you will get will more than likely fit into that type of system. Whatever you, do have a plan and stick to it.

kjstoph1
03-20-2008, 08:27 PM

There's 20 high school coaches in the state of Washington better than Pfeiffer....what Idaho does or doesn't pay is irrelevant because he never should have had the job in the first place.

HORRIBLE coach. Absolutely horrible.

The Vandals deserve far better - a once proud basketball program who has lived through several awful hires. it's not the coach's fault - it's the AD for continuing to make horrid hiring decisions.

Zag 77
03-20-2008, 09:55 PM
kjstoph, you may be right, but none of those 20 would want the job. Like I say, remember how hard it was to scrounge up any candidates 2 years ago when Pfeifer got it?

Idaho just won't pay anything decent to any prospective coaches or their assistants.

It is too bad. GU needs more quality D-I opponents to play in the NW.

mtzaga
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
AD Rob Spear has two big problems. Football and basketball.

Make that three problems. Women's BB went 4-25.