PDA

View Full Version : Different Stats That Mean Something

KSTATEZAG
03-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Talking Heads Beware:
I don't see how we're the underdog here.
We're taller, stronger, more talented, and more experienced.
Here's the numbers to prove it.

The KSTATEZAG Statistical Break
By The Numbers

Height:
GONZ- Average player height of 67.2
DAVD- Average player height of 65.3

Weight:
GONZ- Average player weight of 213 lbs
DAVD- Average player weight 201 lbs

Number of Rivals 4/5 Star players on Roster:
GONZ- 1 Five Star (Austin Daye), 4 Four Stars (Steven Gray, Robert Sacre, Matt Bouldin)
DAVD- None

SOS:
GONZ- 93
DAVD- 129

RPI:
GONZ- 30
DAVD- 34

Team Tournament Wins:
GONZ- 7 Wins (Pargo, Josh, Pendo)
DAVD- 0 Wins

Team Defense:
GONZ- 33
DAVD- 38

Team Offense Efficiency:
GONZ- 36
DAVD- 44

CDC84
03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Number of Rivals 4/5 Star players on Roster:
GONZ- 1 Five Star (Austin Daye), 4 Four Stars (Steven Gray, Robert Sacre, Matt Bouldin)

Micah Downs was also a 4 star player at Rivals (ranked at 28 overall in 2005).

Pargo, Bouldin, Gray, Pendergraft, Heytvelt, Daye, and Downs were all ranked in the top 60 coming out of high school with at least one of these recruiting services: Hoop Scoop, Prep Stars, Hoopmasters, Rivals, Scout.com.

What does this all mean? Probably the best player on the court on Friday will be Stephen Curry, who was told he could walk on at Virginia Tech, and maybe earn a scholarship later on if he earned it........

MDABE80
03-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I think it'd pretty much agreed that GU has taller, bigger , highly ranked, speedier players. None of it matters now. We lose games we shouldn't lose and Davidson wins a lot of games. What they don't win, they squeeze blood out of the victors. My point is this: They're favored for a reason. Throw out all the past history of who'd got better height, weight, stats, etc. It's gettin to be gametime. It's all going to be played out on the floor.

Should GU win? Yes. But only if the kids play to their potential. Georgetown awaits following victory over Davdison.....if we win. It won't get easier. One game at a time.

stan
03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
First, Davidson being favored is most likely due to the location of the game.

Second, the fact that the two teams are considered roughly close in ability is due to the way they played this year, not their recruiting hype.

[But note -- four of our best athletes are from other countries. (Not sure how well Rivals et al cover those countries.) And McKillop has a long history of taking overlooked players and developing them.] In the end, I like the basketball ability of the players in our rotation. If we ever play a complete game, I am confident we are good enough to beat anyone in the country.

I am not here to talk smack. Perhaps the Zags will blow us out. All I know is what I saw this year. And that was a Davidson team that was every bit as athletic as UNC and Duke -- one that blocked more shots, made more steals, forced more turnovers, grabbed more offensive rebounds than both the Heels and the Dookies when we played. Maybe we do it with smoke and mirrors, mind control, or voodoo. I'll leave that up to Coach McKillop.

I guess our guys forgot that they weren't supposed to block the shots of all those HS All-Americans and forgot they weren't supposed to make the steals and get the offensive rebounds. I know that Curry wasn't supposed to be able to drive repeatedly through the Tar Heel defense and score, but somehow he did. Richards wasn't supposed to be able to use his strength, experience and savvy to control the game and take care of the ball. But somehow, the Heels, the flop artists and the Bruins weren't able to take him out of his game.

Maybe it was all a mirage.

Maybe all of Gonzaga's HS All-Americans are better than all the HS All-Americans at UNC and Duke.

And maybe not.

KSTATEZAG
03-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Still doesn't explain how Vegas and Talking heads have us as dogs.

sittingon50
03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
I expect a really good game. Anyone on here that slights your team doesn't know what he/she are talking about.

If you guys continue to get the bulk of the offensive boards, you will kick our butts.

BTW, only one Burger Boy on the Zags roster and he started out at Kansas.

Heres to a well played game.

rennis
03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Maybe all of Gonzaga's HS All-Americans are better than all the HS All-Americans at UNC and Duke.

And maybe not.

we only have one, and he doesn't start. we're not winning that battle.

Battle of unerappreciated/overachieving kids in the tournament? We wrote that book. We'll see who adds the next chapter on Friday. :)

former1dog
03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
One other stat. Record vs. Tourney Teams:

Gonzaga
7-6

Davidson
1-3

KSTATEZAG
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
"One other stat. Record vs. Tourney Teams:

Gonzaga
7-6

Davidson
1-3"

QFT!

KSTATEZAG
03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
This edited message is dedicated to the Patron Saint of Positive Rep.
I thank you on my 100th Glorious post.

UberZagFan
03-18-2008, 12:38 PM
This edited message is dedicated to the Patron Saint of Positive Rep.
I thank you on my 100th Glorious post.

Funny. Like that neg rep is really going to do much. No worries, Uber repped you back--not that Uber's rep is worth much though.

Zerogame
03-18-2008, 01:01 PM
The ZAGS have made a name for themselves beating everyone else's H.S. studs. Now we have some Top 50 high school jocks playing for us. Let's hope that the "will to win" exhibited by past Zag teams becomes evident in this years edition. If not, we will be shown the door as we have shown others.
Teams like Davidson are chomping at the bit to prove their worthiness. They will be hungry, focused, and at home (more or less). I believe the Zags will be up to the challenge. Few and the boys have game!

Go Zags

former1dog
03-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Wins vs. RPI Top 100 teams:

Gonzaga - 9

Davidson - 0