PDA

View Full Version : Digger What?

gu03alum
03-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Digger keeps saying we are going to lose to Davidson because we have to fly to North Carolina. Are we the only team in the country that has to travel? Doesn't he even do any research at all? Gonzaga has played on the east coast multiple times this year. I don't have a problem with him picking Davidson, but he needs to have some actual facts and reasons other than traveling as to why they will beat us. At least Hubert Davis actually knows some of the players on our team.

PortlandbasedZag
03-18-2008, 07:36 AM
I have already started tuning the "pundits" out....None of them (besides Davis) seems to know any of our players or have seen us play in any games rather then the WCC Finals (or they REALLY lack some memory...) I just chalk it up lack of familiarity and it should give the team more reasons to come out with such anger in thier belly that they dump 30 on Davidson in the first 7 minutes and don't let up till the final buzzer!!! Lets go guys! I want to see some ANGER!

CDC84
03-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Digger Phelps is about the worst college basketball analyst on TV. Seriously. And I am not just saying that because of his views on this year's Gonzaga team. I have always felt that.

former1dog
03-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Digger Phelps is about the worst college basketball analyst on TV. Seriously. And I am not just saying that because of his views on this year's Gonzaga team. I have always felt that.

Yeah, but he looks stylish in his pin striped suits complete with tie and matching hilite marker. :vomit-smiley-007:

krozman
03-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Don't single out Digger. Every sportscaster loves to look like a miracle worker by picking the upset, because there is no risk if he's wrong. It's just more tape for mark few to show his team before the game starts.

Gonzaga wouldn't have a home game if they were a 1 seed anyway, the closest site...being Denver at about 1100 miles away? The real issue is why they dont have a site anywhere in the PNW.

Larrylegend
03-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Digger Phelps doesn't know squat about Gonzaga.

I would love to hear any comments Bobby Knight might make about the GU -- Davidson matchup. Knight knows basketball and knows GU -- his Texas Tech Red Raiders played Gonzaga this season.

FuManShoes
03-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Digger Phelps doesn't know squat about Gonzaga.

I would love to hear any comments Bobby Knight might make about the GU -- Davidson matchup. Knight knows basketball and knows GU -- his Texas Tech Red Raiders played Gonzaga this season.

I was also curious what ESPN Sweater would say about this matchup, but on Selection Sunday, all he had to offer was that GU plays a pretty insane OOC schedule. Guess that means the Zags are tested, but the same could be said of Davidson. I'm still pissed the Zags lost twice to Knight's Raiders, once when there was so much on the line. They always seemed to dictate the tempo and out-tough the Zags, which is what really irks me.

PeninsulaDog
03-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I caught the same act the other day from Digger: Jet lag will be the end of the Zags evidently. (Never mind that they beat UConn in Boston, St. Joe's in Philly, etc.) You'd think that with the Zags' 10+ years of national notoriety, Digger could at least pronounce Gonzaga correctly. He's steadfastly sticking with Gonzawguh after all these years. He has no personality, no useful insight , and really no relevance at all any more. I'm convinced that if name weren't something catchy like "Digger", and instead he had a name like Ralph, or Bill, or George, he'd be just another fat, unemployed ex-coach. Total dxxche bag. Knight, on the other hand, made brief reference to the Zags, and was completely complimentary of Few.

CDC84
03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Digger might want to consider the fact that Gonzaga gave Memphis one of their toughest games of the year, despite the 9am PT start time, and the fact that Memphis is just about the same distance from Spokane as Raleigh is.

Butler Guy
03-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Andy Katz said a couple days ago that South Alabama didn't deserve a 10 seed because they didn't pass they eye test. Minutes later, Katz admitted to never seeing South Alabama this year.

They are all biased idiots, the world would be a better place in Bristol, CT would just sink into the earth.

Zagpower
03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
It's not just Digger. We are the betting underdog for a reason despite the better seed. I think most see GU and Davidson as fairly evenly matched with GU being the favorite on a neutral court if all things were even.

But things are not even . We are traveling, they are not. We probably won't have a big crowd, they will. We are playing first thing in the morning our time, they are not.

Any one of those differences by itself is not much of a game changer, but the combination might be. It's not a slight or sign of disrespect toward the Zags, it's more an acknowledment of of how good Davidson is and the circumstances that are working against GU.

Also, many point to the weak teams that Davidson beat. Their most impressive games may be their losses. They can hang with anyone. So can we. Should be a great game.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-18-2008, 09:24 AM
It's not like we have to travel to North Carolina via covered wagon. It's one thing for guys in the NBA who have to play four games in six nights in four different cities; it's another entirely to travel to one destination with plenty of time to prepare for the game. Vegas and the ESPN talking heads have overrated the travel factor.

maineblackbear
03-18-2008, 10:06 AM
this whole early morning wakeup is a struggle--yes we played well against MEmphis but really woke up in the second half (I think that is Pargo's quote--I should look this stuff up before blindly typing)- i have taken teams to the east coast and if you are waking up at 7AM, your body still thinks it is 4AM-- it takes me two to three full days to adjust..... when do the zags fly out? mbb

CDC84
03-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Well if GU woke up in the 2nd half vs. Memphis, they should have stayed asleep, because Gonzaga's best half of basketball this entire season might have been their first half performance against Memphis. The two teams were neck and neck going into halftime. It was the 2nd half that did Gonzaga in.

Make no mistake.....dealing with the early start time and the cross country travel isn't easy. I just think it's a bad reason for picking one team over another. Digger's argument needs more substance than that.

LongIslandZagFan
03-18-2008, 10:53 AM
BTW, I suspect that you might actually have a few people out there cheering on the Zags. Likely, it will be more than you think.

UberZagFan
03-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey it's not just Digger...ESPN's bracketcaster simulator has Davidson winning 4 out of 5 times.

Oh and the AccuScore's supercomputer determined that Kent St. is actually the favorite despite being seeded lower than UNLV, if you're interested.

MickMick
03-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Digger might want to consider the fact that Gonzaga gave Memphis one of their toughest games of the year, despite the 9am PT start time, and the fact that Memphis is just about the same distance from Spokane as Raleigh is.

Agreed. He is like a broken record. Picks the same teams year after year.

Notre Dame is always front and center and regardless of how bad Arizona is, they always get at least a first round win.

gwild999
03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I've heard the team flies out on Wednesday, hopefully the full day before the game will give them enough time to adjust.

jayray
03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Picks the same teams year after year.

They all do, it is so boring every year to watch 4 analysts pick four #1 seeds for the final four - really going out on a limb. Knight was the only one to actually make a bold pick with Pitt.

siliconzag
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
in life will always be that his team ended the 88 game winning streak of the UCLA Bruins in 19 and 74. After that everything he has done or ever will do is a foot note. He also worked in the George Bush administration (41, not 43). He is a numskull. And he is ugly. And his mother wears army boots. Next topic.

gueastcoast
03-18-2008, 02:02 PM
If they are flying out Weds they will be fine. Not worried about the jet lag. Athletes competing at as high a level as 18-22 yo college basketball players should be fine.

Also agree with LIZF that there will be more than a handful of Zag fans in attendance. I'm still a maybe but that's a long story. And don't underestimate our national following ;)

gamagin
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
what happens in those 40 minutes of play.

They are all kids. Young and pliable and perfectly capable of showing up, no matter how the stars, or the moon, are aligned. There are no excuses for any of these things affecting a team that comes ready and excited to compete.

The pundits are paid to guess. They should be paid to be right and not paid at all when they are not. Then you see more homework and less jabbering.

that is why the good lord invented the off switch. Or the mute button when you can give it up completely but are a slow reader.

UberZagFan
03-18-2008, 03:46 PM
in life will always be that his team ended the 88 game winning streak of the UCLA Bruins in 19 and 74. After that everything he has done or ever will do is a foot note. He also worked in the George Bush administration (41, not 43). He is a numskull. And he is ugly. And his mother wears army boots. Next topic.

Somehow he did manage to produce this offspring (the one on the left):

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/605/jamieandkarenax6.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2664/769moyerjamiekarengalayk7.jpg

Snagglezag
03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Is that Jamie Moyer? If so...he's got it going....

UberZagFan
03-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Is that Jamie Moyer? If so...he's got it going....

That's Jamie Moyer who somehow managed to hook up with Digger's daughter...Uber suspects the "rich ballplayer" angle didn't hurt.

siliconzag
03-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Is more complicated than usually believed. Beauty, is a polygenic quality. It is true that given how ugly and dimwitted Digger is, that he would produce an offspring with similar qualities. Actually, I am not sure how smart she is, but I heard she was very nice. And from the photo, she seems to have sampled more of her mother's genes, and who knows a few recessive ones from the old man too. In any case, I cannot explain why it is is that Mrs. Moyer is nice, and pretty and smart, and the old man is as ugly and dumb as a post.

I once had a kid from Carson City who came to see me. He was the cutest baby I had ever seen to that point, and he may well still be in the top ten. His parents were very, let's say plain. Nice, sweet, but they would have scared a hungry dog out of a butcher shop.

Just no way to explain Genetics when these kind of offspring come along to discredit the aphorism that the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. Sometimes it do.

Sili

gamagin
03-18-2008, 05:14 PM
but I can't say.

sincerely,

Digger's Milkman

sittingon50
03-18-2008, 08:49 PM
:lmao: