PDA

View Full Version : Daye: the matchup

wazZag
03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
In the spirit of pre-tournament lineup gimmicks and ideas, suppose:

Daye gets heavy minutes at the four. Daye is LONG. He's playing against a team with height issues. Really, there isn't any heavy competition for minutes at the 4-5 slots.

I'm not proposing PT because of his offense but his: blocks and rebounds. We need 'em, and he can give them against Davidson.

upan8th
03-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Same thought might have applied to numerous opponents throughout the regular season. It didn't happen then, and I'd be surprised, no, make that shocked, if it happens in the Tournament.

There's apparently something about Austin's play that Mark Few, to put it diplomatically, has reservations about. Attitude? Not knowing the playbook?Lackadaisical defense? Insouciance? "A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE?" Who knows. We do know that Austin will get eighteen minutes max on Friday. And that's if things are going well.

ebayzagfan
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
There's apparently something about Austin's play that Mark Few, to put it diplomatically, has reservations about. Attitude? Not knowing the playbook?Lackadaisical defense? Insouciance? "A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE?" Who knows. We do know that Austin will get eighteen minutes max on Friday. And that's if things are going well.

Yeah, insouciance, that's what I was going to say.:D

For Coach Few to make significant personnel changes for the Davidson game would be like him admitting what he has been doing the past 2 1/2 months hasn't been working. The likelihood of that happening is almost zero.

cjm720
03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah, insouciance, that's what I was going to say.:D

For Coach Few to make significant personnel changes for the Davidson game would be like him admitting what he has been doing the past 2 1/2 months hasn't been working. The likelihood of that happening is almost zero.

Few will change things up a bit, no question. It's one and done time and he wants to win. What does this mean? More Micah and Daye. The more I think about this matchup, Micah on Curry makes a lot of sense. As CDC pointed out in another thread, Few pushed Mallon on the offensive side against Indiana two years ago (i.e., a personnel change). It has happened before and it will likely happen again.

Reborn
03-18-2008, 02:18 PM
I truly believe that Mark Few will not "really change things up" for the Davidson game, nor should he (imo). It is so important for a coach to be consistent in their approach (just as it is for a teacher or a parent). I wouldn't be surprised to even see him go back to starting Sacre because we seemed to play great when he did that.

If Pendo is off, then we'll see more of Daye (and we should). If Gray is having a tough time we'll see Micah play more. But Micah must come in and give us quality minutes if he wishes to stay in the game. That's what it's been like. When he plays good BB he plays more. And that's how it should be for the guys coming off the bench. Kuso will start and Josh will come off the bench. Josh will play more if he does well. Josh's # of minutes are truly up to him. History tells me that Josh will play very good against Davidson. He's had even more rest on that foot, and he's been looking so much better.

I expect to see a game very similar to the game with Georgia this year. The Zags will win by 7.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-18-2008, 02:36 PM
It's time to truly unleash Austin. He causes serious match-up problems for Davidson, and he's the kind of offensive player that can carry a team, which is a nice asset to have this time of year. I'm hoping for at least 25 minutes for Austin on Friday.

Hextall7388
03-18-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm not that concerned with Downs' minutes. I'd like to see him start, but even coming off the bench he is averaging 25 or more minutes a game. My comments with regard to Downs relate more to the role that he has been given lately. He is clearly one of the more offensively gifted players we have, but he has been inserted into a defensive stopper role. On offense he appears to be a third or fourth option, and rarely has plays called for him. As a junior, I'd love to see him be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball and take on the responsibility of scoring the basketball. That being said, I wonder how much the 2 rolls of tape and 2 rolls of wrap he wears on his right hand impact his ability to shoot. A sprained thumb and a dislocated ring finger all on the same hand has got to be causing him some trouble handling and shooting the ball. Perhaps that's the explanation for the role change? If so, I think he ought to be commended to adapting his game for the team.

ZagsGoZags
03-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I can't find where to locate the stats, but I'll bet you a new zags t-shirt that he has averaged less than 25 min per game this season. I should bet something else I have too many T-shirts already.

Hextall7388
03-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I can't find where to locate the stats, but I'll bet you a new zags t-shirt that he has averaged less than 25 min per game this season. I should bet something else I have too many T-shirts already.

XL would be good, thanks....haha

ESPN has him listed at 24.3 mins per game, but to be fair, I think the number is inflated because he was averaging 30 or more minutes earlier in the season.

ZagsGoZags
03-20-2008, 07:59 PM
According to Sports Illustrated

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/players/73063/index.html

Dayes minutes per game average 18.4 mins.
589 total minutes divided by 32 games

MBZags
03-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Regarding Micah's injury, I heard him tell someone in class that his finger is getting a lot better.