PDA

View Full Version : The women don't make it into NCAAs

BobZag
03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, it was to be expected. That 3rd game against San Diego on San Diego's homecourt was the downfall. But the gals were rewarded with getting to wear their white home unis for winning the WCC regular season by 5 games, though! Woooooooohooooooo!

Onwards--

The ladies will be in the WNIT now, and my hope is that the Zags are given a home game or two so I can go into K2 and cheer them on again. Plus, they are just so much fun to watch, and I already miss the seniors.

Stay tuned for details.

zagco
03-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Zagco can't follow them that closely down in Boise, but we went to see them play when we were up there a couple months ago.

What was their RPI? Were they even a remote possibility for an at-large birth?

Boise State's girls fell to the home team in New Mexico in the tournament, after winning the regular season. Bummer. They're good. Like Gonzaga, they are very young with a promising future ahead. They were also given a WNIT bid.

BobZag
03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
RPI was a healthy 37 or so. It appeared as though the Zags were the first one out. Ouch.

Maybe we'll host BSU in K2.

zagco
03-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Maybe. Our girls don't draw real great, but there's a distinct buzz about them. Zagco thinks they probably average around 2,500, and it's pretty dang consistent--the folks that go (Zagco goes, because his daughter is a ballgirl so we get in free!) ALWAYS go. They should be very good next year, and the buzz is strong enough for me to speculate that we might see some big crowds next year for a few games. Zagco just doubts that the NIT will place us at home, due to the probable crowd size. But who knows....

When we've gone to Gonzaga girls games, Zagco would guess around 3,000 were there, but he doesn't follow game-to-game attendance with the Lady Bulldogs.

By the way, any of this year's LC girls destined for Gonzaga or another D-1 team???? Zagco saw them on TV. Crap, Spokane's got some good hoops!

Section 116
03-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Field announced-game times and sites Tuesday:

http://www.womensnit.com/showstory.asp?id=current

Zag 77
03-17-2008, 09:38 PM
At least the WCC will move to a neutral site next year. Beyond that, I am mystified as to why the women never changed their tournament format when the men did. Kelly Graves needs to raise holy hell like Mark Few did until the WCC changes their womens tourney format to give some real reward for finishing first in the regular season.

The present set up is BS.

zagco
03-18-2008, 07:20 AM
So Davis and Gonzaga play again? Boise State gets to host the women from Idaho State, which is another rematch. Apparently, according to the article, this violates the normal WNIT protocol for matchups. Boise State's coach mentioned that Idaho State should have traveled to Gonzaga and Davis should have come to Boise, which would be interesting. Oh, well, at least they both host first round games.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/326642.html

Angelo Roncalli
03-18-2008, 08:23 AM
At least the WCC will move to a neutral site next year. Beyond that, I am mystified as to why the women never changed their tournament format when the men did.

The format was decided by the WCC WBB coaches. Kelly voted against it.

a13coach
03-18-2008, 09:11 AM
The format was decided by the WCC WBB coaches. Kelly voted against it.

Hum looks like it won't change until another team in the conf. starts making that climb like GU has and then loses in the championship game only to find themselves out of a deserving NCAA bid. That is the problem with the league they vote for what they feel is best for them at the time instead of what is best for the conference overall in the long run. The WCC women's coaches should talk to Randy Bennett about short sighted vision.

Hey Gilleran you going to take credit for this or is this another one of those I do not get to vote things? Maybe a commish would emphatically point out how it will be best for the WCC overall in the long term to follow the men's tourney bracket, instead of trying to catch instant fleeting success of a short WCC conf. tourney run only to go back to mediocrity during the NCAA tourney and subsequent years. :fingergun: