• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickMick
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

St. Joe's Coach on Jim Rome show

Phil Martelli:

"If young people want to see a coaching clinic, then watch the Gonzaga-Davidson game. I guarantee you that no opening round game will be better coached than that one. Those coaches are geniuses."

(As accurately worded as I can recall)

Now can we break out the "verbal beat down stick" on those posters that have been beating up on Mark Few the past couple weeks?
    I miss Mike Hart
  • zagsfanforlife
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
    Phil Martelli:

"If young people want to see a coaching clinic, then watch the Gonzaga-Davidson game. I guarantee you that no opening round game will be better coached than that one. Those coaches are geniuses."

(As accurately worded as I can recall)

Now can we break out the "verbal beat down stick" on those posters that have been beating up on Mark Few the past couple weeks?
    Martelli is dead on. Watch McKillop (sp?) from Davidson. That guy is a phenomenal coach. I saw them in the tourney last year and have watched four of five of their big time games this year, and with respect to Coach Few, McKillop is just as good, if not better. Should be a great battle between players and coaches

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
      Martelli is dead on. Watch McKillop (sp?) from Davidson. That guy is a phenomenal coach. I saw them in the tourney last year and have watched four of five of their big time games this year, and with respect to Coach Few, McKillop is just as good, if not better. Should be a great battle between players and coaches
      I'm curious what support you have for the statement that McKillop is "just as good, if not better" than Few. Some comparisons of coaching records for Few and McKillop from Wiki:

Overall win-loss records? Post-season? So what am I missing?

Comment

• krozman
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
        I'm curious what support you have for the statement that McKillop is "just as good, if not better" than Few. Overall win-loss records? Post-season? So what am I missing?
        You're missing the fact that he is on national television, and it is always better to be gracious to a coach like that, even if the numbers don't equally compare to coach Few's. Same reason why in every postgame interview the coach says "ya, the other guy played a great game, well done!" (when you just beat them by 30).
        Krozman
        GU student 1996-2000
        Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• rawkmandale
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

I suspect our talent level has been higher over those years, and the Davidson coach had to do more to milk performance out of his kids. Good coaches don't always have great records - they do get the best out of their kids though.

Comment

• RVaWildcat
            Redshirt
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by krozman View Post
            You're missing the fact that he is on national television, and it is always better to be gracious to a coach like that, even if the numbers don't equally compare to coach Few's.
            Plus let's face it: you guys had better players than we did. [Up until this year, I hope.]

Here's a short clip where Fran Fraschilla explains why he thinks McKillop is so good:

sometimes known as No Intro 77

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

McKillop's influence on the game extends beyond what he has done at Davidson. He is one of the great basketball minds that we have. He is particularly respected across the continent for a lot of the work he has done for coaches over there. I know Coach K has about as much respect for him as any coach that exists at the D-1 level.

What Few and McKillop have in common is that both guys LOVE where they coach, and they have stuck with the programs they care so deeply about.

Comment

• tennis08tarheels
                Redshirt
                • Mar 2008

Rawk is correct. We don't have the recent tournament success and national exposure that Gonzaga has. And with all due respect to Gonzaga, which is a fine school (my sister-in-law is a GU graduate), Davidson is one of the most heralded academic institutions in America. Unlike our "friends" up in Durham, we make no exceptions for athletes.

Comment

Not us

Originally posted by tennis08tarheels View Post
                  Rawk is correct. We don't have the recent tournament success and national exposure that Gonzaga has. And with all due respect to Gonzaga, which is a fine school (my sister-in-law is a GU graduate), Davidson is one of the most heralded academic institutions in America. Unlike our "friends" up in Durham, we make no exceptions for athletes.
                  We take anyone that can play and that we can keep out of jail on game days...this is a basketball factory !!!

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

Working...
                    X