PDA

View Full Version : An annual tradition that is bad

Zerogame
03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Interesting article about graduation rates today from ESPN.

The NCAA tournament field is 65 teams, but not all could be included in the analysis. Cornell, like other Ivy League schools, doesn't report graduation rates. Gonzaga had no black players and 10 schools had no white players.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/news/story?id=3297989

CDC84
03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Why is it that some knucklehead professor has to always put out a study like this right before the NCAA tournament?

The NCAA no longer uses graduation rates as a method for punishing programs for their academic failures. They use the APR. It's only natural that number one seeds look bad in such studies because the elite programs constantly lose players to the NBA draft, and they also have lots of players transfer due to playing time issues.

Once and Future Zag
03-17-2008, 09:36 AM
No "black" players? Like PMAC who graduated last year?

Or Errol Knight two years ago?

SintoZag
03-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't understand that statement? GU doesn't have any "black player" or did we not have any "black players" graduate?

Zerogame
03-17-2008, 11:24 AM
I see this post has been moved. I think there are questions a plenty that can be discussed. For instance, have black players from GU graduated in the past six years. Are we precieved around the country as a "white school only?" Do recruits see us as a school for "whites only?"

Butler Guy
03-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Gaps 'narrowing slightly' in study of NCAA teams' graduation rates (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/news/story?id=3297989)

CarolinaZagFan
03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Gaps 'narrowing slightly' in study of NCAA teams' graduation rates (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/news/story?id=3297989)

WOW!!! Way to watch some GU games this year AP....this is really weird!

tobizag
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
the study was conducted using four freshman classes (97-2000) and looking at those classes and their athletics graduation rates. i don't recall 100%, so someone who does please chime in, but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have any black freshmen between 97 and 2000 that later went on to graduate.

someone with a better memory, help me out?

ebayzagfan
03-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Without looking it up, I think Anthony Reason played in that timeframe. But I recall him being a JC transfer, not a 4-yr GU recruit. Similarly, Winston Brooks was a 2-yr transfer. Again, I'm guessing on the timeframes here, but those are 2 names that come to mind.

UberZagFan
03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
It evaluated four different freshman classes for a period beginning in 1997-98 and ending with 2000-01.

GU had no black players during this time?

sittingon50
03-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I actually have a list that I've made up showing which guys came thru here during what period & if you use the 97-00 time frame of incoming freshman, it looks to be accurate. Some guys were JC transfers, some came just before, some didn't stick around 4 yrs. Mike Leisure graduated, came in '95. I don't see any 4 year black player's until Ronny graduated.

Lorenzo Rollins is a great story, but was a JC guy. Q was also a JC guy who used up his eligibility in '00 & later came back to take the graduation walk in '06.

rennis
03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I actually have a list that I've made up showing which guys came thru here during what period & if you use the 97-00 time frame of incoming freshman, it looks to be accurate. Some guys were JC transfers, some came just before, some didn't stick around 4 yrs. Mike Leisure graduated, came in '95. I don't see any 4 year black player's until Ronny graduated.

Lorenzo Rollins is a great story, but was a JC guy. Q was also a JC guy who used up his eligibility in '00 & later came back to take the graduation walk in '06.

Yeah, I think this is correct. We had quite a few black players in those years, but all of them were JC transfers, including Q Hall, Hernandez, Leasure, Brooks, etc.

Bakari Hendrix overlapped the study, as did Mike Leasure.

CDC84
03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
As a side note - the antiquated graduation rate formula does not give credit to schools for graduating juco players.