PDA

View Full Version : It's up to Bouldin....

Hextall7388
03-16-2008, 07:28 PM
We all know Pargo is going to show up on Friday. All season he has stepped up in big games. In my opinion, the key to the Zags' success in the tourney is going to be Bouldin. With the exception of the Tennessee game, when Bouldin struggles, the Zags struggle. Against Texas Tech he had 11 points, Washington State 0, Oklahoma 5, Memphis 5, St. Marys 11 and San Diego 6....all below his season average. The Zags need some secondary scoring if they want to make some noise in the tournament.

On that note, I personally think Daye and/or Downs could be the difference makers if given the opportunity. They both have the size to create serious match up problems for Davidson. Unfortunately, I'm guessing coach Few will stick with the same game plan that he has employed for the most of the season. Accordingly, Daye will only play 15 minutes and Downs will only be looked at as a 3rd or 4th scoring option....too bad!

rawkmandale
03-16-2008, 07:42 PM
It's a team game, buddy. We won't rise or fall because your favorite players are not in the game. Few will go with the best matchups and who has a hot hand or willing to play D.

Argentum
03-16-2008, 07:56 PM
...if Bouldin doesn't deliver we're hosed- mainly because Few rarely diverts his minutes to anyone else when he's struggling. We're at our best when Matt is at his best. A deep run depends on him.

rawkmandale
03-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I agree he is an important element, but I think the coaches will react to the play going on in front of them.

MickMick
03-16-2008, 08:16 PM
This is Jeremy's team. Give him full credit if the Zags exceed your expectations.

Hextall7388
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
It's a team game, buddy. We won't rise or fall because your favorite players are not in the game. Few will go with the best matchups and who has a hot hand or willing to play D.

I'm quite aware it is a team game, but thanks for the tip.

All I am suggesting is that based on past performances, Bouldin seems to be the difference maker in how the team performs. For the most part, we know what we are going to get from the other guys on the floor. Bouldin is a guy that has the ability to put the team on his back for a W, but unfortunately, he has also been a guy who has had off games at inopportune times this year. Bouldin and Pargo play nearly every minute of every game. The ball ends up in their hands on just about every offensive set. They often guard the best players on the opposing team. It may be a "team game", but clearly certain members of the team play larger roles. If these are our two key players, all I'm saying is that we know Pargo will show up....he has all season. We just need Bouldin to bring his A game.

As a side note, once again I am amazed at how defensive some people become when a decision of coach Few is questioned. This is a discussion forum, and we are all entitled to our opinions. If your opinion is that coach Few should never be questioned because of his success with the program, that's great! That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, it is not fair to try and silence others who like to think of opportunities and options for upcoming games in an effort to strike up an interesting discussion on the board. Coach Few is not reading these threads, we're not hurting his feelings. We're just a bunch of fans talking about our favorite team. That's all!

montanazag88
03-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Positive thoughts...

-GU dominates boards both ends
-GU's points in paint = to outside FGMade (avoid reliance on 3's too early)
-GU's foul shooting improves 10%
-Kuso nearly fouls out and leads all players in rebounds/blocks
-Daye, 2nd in rebounds and 2nd to Bouldin/Pargo in scoring/assists
-GU never down by more than 5

Wish list: Sorenson sees minutes in every game.

rawkmandale
03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, I just prefer that we win or lose as a team, without calling out any individual players - especially this part of the season. Every kid wants to win, and to do his best. Not everyone is going to have a good game every night (morning - in this case). The other players need to pick up the slack if one is off.

Some of the players MIGHT read this board, although I would encourage them not to. Your post isn't a bad one, but please remember there is no "magic player" sitting on the bench waiting to save us.

jim77
03-16-2008, 09:12 PM
It is a team game.

I'm not nearly as worried about Matt having a bad game(I'm not worried at all actually:) ) as I am Mr. Curry scorching us.

zag67
03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I also am not worried about Matt. I think that the key is going to be a super team defense. And players like Steven, Austin, Micah Kuso and Josh stepping up. We do not have to have all of them, but the more that do, the better that we are. I do feel that we need solid games from Matt, Pendo and Pargo. And an integrated team effort to make it into the next stage.

mdZag23
03-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Matt rarely plays poorly. He's solid and contributes on almost every night. What I think you are trying to say is that he needs to shoot the ball well from the perimeter.

If he does, we win this game by 10.

cjm720
03-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Your post isn't a bad one, but please remember there is no "magic player" sitting on the bench waiting to save us.

His name is Austin Daye. I'd be very suprised if he didn't see an additional 5-8 minutes this game. It's his time to shine. That said, I truly believe we need JH (and Kuso) to provide that interior offenese and defense to let Pargo and company do their thing.

BroncoZAG615
03-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Cjm, as much as I would like to think that Austin will play 5-8 minutes more I just don't think it will happen. I personally think Austin should be starting or at least first off the bench. But we have gone the whole year thinking Austin is going to get more minutes in bigger games and it just hasn't happened. Few seems content to play him up until the 8 minute mark (as in the SMC home game) and let Pendo ride it out.

He SHOULD play more. He would be a matchup nightmare for these guys. Such length and athleticism should be shown during this game and not benched, but I just can't see Few changing the amount of minutes for Austin now. He seems set in his ways. Hopefully the USD loss can change that.

Zag79
03-17-2008, 06:12 PM

:lmao:

wow. serious? im all for not calling out players, and what not but stating the game could be won or lost due to "something" is a-O-K. few going with the best matchups and who has the hot hand is crap. ill call that out now. hot hands dont mean jack on fews teams. josh 4-7 sits. daye 4-6 sits. micah 1-2, well you get it. matt can shoot ice cold and play all game. this isnt to throw any player under the bus, ever. but be realistic. matt HAS to play well, AND more imptly SCORE. if he gets 35 minutes or more he needs to muster a minimum 14+ pts or we are in trouble.

FuManShoes
03-17-2008, 06:21 PM
It is a team game.

I'm not nearly as worried about Matt having a bad game(I'm not worried at all actually:) ) as I am Mr. Curry scorching us.

I actually take the opposite tack. I'm pretty sure Curry will scorch us. Hell, he averaged 24+ points against teams ranked in the Top 7. I'm more concerned about the Zags shutting down the rest of Davidson's squad and taking care of their own business. That means getting to the line, making free throws, securing the ball, etc.

And it's fair to single out Matt, because he's the team's main offensive threat and perhaps the biggest matchup problem for opponents. Matt may or may not have a good shooting night, but he needs to play a whole lot better than he did in San Diego. He's a supremely talented player who can and should contribute in many ways.

Juanzaga
03-17-2008, 06:34 PM
I have to agree with Zag79. I have never been so disheartened by the Zag staff. In my opinion Micah Downs has become a terrific team player. He is arguably the best on-ball defender and I believe, despite reduced minutes, his attitude remains positive.

Austin Daye's lack of playing time is simply mystifying. We start a Freshman, but at this point in time I think it is the wrong one. That is by no means a criticism of Steven Gray. He will no doubt be an outstanding player during his career. I know it has been mentioned many times, but the three-guard lineup creates terrible matchups for Bouldin. He sure seems to me to be the perfect 2 guard.

Is it my imagination or are we always playing catch-up. I hate to see Gonzaga start every game 10 points down. I know Mark Few is a great coach with a great record and an impeccable reputation. It appears we have more talent than we've ever had. Is that why we are struggling?

jayray
03-17-2008, 06:38 PM
:lmao:

wow. serious? im all for not calling out players, and what not but stating the game could be won or lost due to "something" is a-O-K. few going with the best matchups and who has the hot hand is crap. ill call that out now. hot hands dont mean jack on fews teams. josh 4-7 sits. daye 4-6 sits. micah 1-2, well you get it. matt can shoot ice cold and play all game. this isnt to throw any player under the bus, ever. but be realistic. matt HAS to play well, AND more imptly SCORE. if he gets 35 minutes or more he needs to muster a minimum 14+ pts or we are in trouble.

Is there a point to all this madness you just wrote? I know I have a low reading level but this is way over my head.

Everyone knows the key to tournament success is post play and defense.

Hextall7388
03-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Everyone knows the key to tournament success is post play and defense.

You're probably right, but I hope not. The Zags have not had a post presence since Batista graduated, and as far as defense.....well, we're better this year, but far from a defensive powerhouse.

Zag79
03-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Is there a point to all this madness you just wrote? I know I have a low reading level but this is way over my head.

yes, it was in regards to a post about a "team game" and coach fixing everything. in short for you: few doesnt play the hot hand, never has and never will. so if your expecting bouldin on the bench when hes cold and josh or austin playing 30+ and scoring all night long your saddly mistaken.

MDABE80
03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Matt just can't move his feet enough to play sticky defense. Good on offense but his defense is sorta limited.....especially east- west movement.
It'll be interesting to see what the coaches come up with. Josh and Kuso MUST have big games to win. Jeremy MUST feed those horses.

Austin's my fav kid but he'll need to grow up for this one. Our bigs will win or lose this one. As for our guards: they'll be busy just containing. I think they can limit Curry....but outside of Memphis, Curry is likely the best we'll see as a shooter. Brandon Johnson on sterioids and much more polished.....by his genes and training.

Josh can have a field day if he show up with some blood in his eyes. Kuso has to get on those boards like he's possessed. One thing about Kuso though.....he gives it everything and does it every game. He works so hard!!

S.U. Chieftain
03-17-2008, 07:32 PM
please remember there is no "magic player" sitting on the bench waiting to save us.

"Magic player" = Sorenson!
If he gets in the game, we've won!

gugrad66
03-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I have to agree with Zag79. I have never been so disheartened by the Zag staff. In my opinion Micah Downs has become a terrific team player. He is arguably the best on-ball defender and I believe, despite reduced minutes, his attitude remains positive.

Austin Daye's lack of playing time is simply mystifying. We start a Freshman, but at this point in time I think it is the wrong one. That is by no means a criticism of Steven Gray. He will no doubt be an outstanding player during his career. I know it has been mentioned many times, but the three-guard lineup creates terrible matchups for Bouldin. He sure seems to me to be the perfect 2 guard.

Is it my imagination or are we always playing catch-up. I hate to see Gonzaga start every game 10 points down. I know Mark Few is a great coach with a great record and an impeccable reputation. It appears we have more talent than we've ever had. Is that why we are struggling?

Bouldin needs to play up to his potential. He was in a fog in the two WCC Tournament games. Why can't Few get his attention?

I agree that Daye needs to play more--not just for his offense, but for his size on defense. Downs needs to start vs. Gray. Gray would not be too effective in the pressure of the NCAA.

Few needs to be more creative. Instead of having his favorite small lineup on the floor most of the time, why not have a bigger lineup on the floor more--Pargo, Downs, Daye, Kuso & Heytvelt. If Few employs the same game plan he did in San Diego, the Zags will be done in one. So, it really rests on Few more than Bouldin.

Zagger
03-17-2008, 09:47 PM
The Zags got a 7 seed. We're not the only ones who know that they're good. Few and Co. will find the right mix and end Davidson's streak.

Hextall7388
03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
8 points, 6 turnovers!!

I'm not saying he is the reason we lost, I think some suspect coaching decisions and game planning are the reason for that. However, when Matt struggles this team does not win. Plan and simple. The stats are the stats.

Zag79
03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
when bouldin is hot, play him 40 minutes. when hes not, sit him period. how you can sit LG and ira (shut down defenders needed badly for curry) and micah to play matt all game when hes off that bad is a joke. even funnier, bring in ira with 7 seconds and larry with 23 left. LOL. LG gets 2 defensive stops in a row, a dunk and then sits the rest of the game watching matt struggle beyond belief. i like matt so dont take it like im coming down on him. this is a coaching issue.