PDA

View Full Version : OT: ASU got screwed...

dpouley
03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
ASU played a weak non-conference. But they beat everyone.

Arizona played a strong non-conference. But they lost to everyone.

ASU finished 5th place in the Pac 10.

Arizona finished 7th place in the Pac 10.

ASU beat Arizona TWICE.

Arizona got handed a NCAA seed through name recognition, and as a favor to Lute Olsen. The RPI argument for Arizona is incredibly weak, they played a tough schedule and lost to most of them, how does that set them apart?

cggonzaga
03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Check out the RPI's. ASU had good wins but clearly played a terrible schedule. They didn't get hosed.

dpouley
03-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Check out the RPI's. ASU had good wins but clearly played a terrible schedule. They didn't get hosed.

Did you read my initial post? It seems that you may have missed my assertion that the RPI is a very limited way to analyze what teams are deserving.

Let me ask you a question. Why should a team that plays a tough schedule and loses to a majority of the teams on that schedule make the tournament?

Here is a number for you.

Arizona, is 2-0 against Oregon State, and 17-14 versus the rest of their schedule. And Arizona has a LOSING RECORD IN THEIR CONFERENCE...How is that a tournament team?

Bocco
03-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Even with thier weak out of confernce schedule, based on their better conference record, and their 2 wins OVER Arizona, ASU should have gotten the NCAA bid.

tenniszag
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM
U of A did not lose a majority of their non-conference games. They were 9-3 entering Pac-10 play, losing to Virginia, at Kansas in OT, and at Memphis. They had solid wins against Texas A&M, at UNLV, and at SDSU.

Most of the pac-10 season they were not full strength. Bayless missed the first two weeks and Wise missed about 5 weeks.

ASU got "screwed" because they played a pathetic non-conference schedule and a bs call against SC.

And the selection did not come down to either U of A or ASU getting in, you could make an argument for several teams getting in that didn't.

ASU got screwed but U of A did not make the tournament undeservedly.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I can go either way on my Sun Devils -- but IMO Arizona getting in was clearly a courtesy to Lute -- they didn't deserve it at all, especially because they lost twice to the Devils.

dpouley
03-16-2008, 03:24 PM
ASU got screwed but U of A did not make the tournament undeservedly.

Okay, I did not mean to turn this into a ASU vs. Zona argument. Arizona's tournament resume is just an easy comparison because of the same conference and similar overall record.

All in all, if I am on the committee, wins over Stanford, Xavier and Arizona twice, and a winning record in conference is more significant than wins against UNLV, Texas A&M and SDSU and a losing record in conference.

Rubbadub
03-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Since Villanova was the last team in, why don't you guys argue ASU vs. Villanova instead of UA?

lothar98zag
03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Since Villanova was the last team in, why don't you guys argue ASU vs. Villanova instead of UA?
seriously.

According to the bracket UoA wasn't close to being the last in. And if you asked me, ASU was not the last team out either. There are several other teams that would get in before ASU.

But if you were talking about the ref call at the end of their PAC-10 tourney game, yes they got screwed.

CDC84
03-18-2008, 08:26 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=385248

Another person who thinks ASU was the only snub, although I don't think he feels very sorry for them....that they were somehow "screwed" out of a bid. ASU had 7 wins over tournament teams (more than UConn), a terrible call that cost them a game in the Pac 10 tourney, and a non-league sked that was easy by necessity because 1) the team has sucked the last couple of years 2) the Pac 10 was the toughest league in the nation this season.