PDA

View Full Version : OT Poll: How is Bobby Knight doing so far?

alaskazagnut
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I have been impressed with Knight so far and was interested what others thought. He obviously is very intelligent but seems to be holding back some spark or fire. That in itself is odd for Knight because I think he is not trying to upstage anyone even though he could easily do so, like Terry Bradshaw always tries to steal the NFL show.

MickMick
03-15-2008, 09:56 AM
I value his commentary. I just hope Digger doesn't accidently set him off.

HillBillyZag
03-15-2008, 10:01 AM
The other members of the ESPN crew all respect his basketball knowledge. His personna aside, he is arguably the greatest basketball mind of his age.

ZagNative
03-15-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm rooting for him to succeed, but I'm finding it a bit difficult to keep my mind from wandering when he talks. That may say more about my feeble powers of concentration than about Bobby, however.

RenoZag
03-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Haven't heard Coach Knight a lot in the last few days but his insights from the studio beat the tar out of anything Clark Kellogg or Seth Davis throw out.

I'm looking forward to hearing what RMK has to say during the bracket announcement show tomorrow afternoon. Will he be diplomatic and give the committee its due or will we be treated to another Bobby Knight moment, where he goes ballistic over the omission of a team ? If Knight plays the diplomat, then it's a small indicator that he's not willing to burn any bridges with the selection committee.

( BTW: Did Knight say anything about the SEC's decision to play a double-header today ? )

Like most hoops junkies, I spend 3 -6 pm on selection Sunday in front of the telly, first with CBS and then ESPN. Bilas, Phelps, Katz, and now Knight-- make for an entertaining first pass look at the brackets. . .of course, Bilas will say "Reasonable people can agree to disagree" or some such cliche at least twice, but it's worth it.

gueastcoast
03-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I think Knight is doing a great job and agree his insights are far better than some of his colleagues. The greatest coaching mind of his era.

I did find it a little amusing when I saw him take viewer questions with Rece Davis. At least half of the questions he didn't answer, but rather made some other point he wanted to make (i.e., answering a better/smarter question). Gotta love the General.

GonzagaLove
03-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Knight is doing pretty good. But, Digger, my God. He is acting like a teenage boy with a cute girl sitting next to him.

zagzealot
03-15-2008, 06:57 PM
My favorite Knight moment of the day made me laugh out loud. They're going from analyst to analyst, rapid fire like, asking them to choose which team is going to win which match up and why. They get to the Minnesota vs. Illinois game and a couple of the guys make their pick and they get to Bobby. He says, "I really don't care, I really don't!" and that was it. They all laughed and kind of waited for him to say something else but he was dead serious and they moved on to the next guy. At the bottom of the screen where they show which team the analyst picked they put "N/A" next to Knight's name. I thought it was hysterical. You could tell, he honest to God didn't care! :D

alaskazagnut
03-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes, I laughed for a couple minutes after that. He was so sincere and he never broke a smile after that either. But I am sure he developed a true disdain for both Illinois and Minnesota, not to mention the entire Big Ten conference.

applezag
03-16-2008, 06:45 AM
He made a comment yesterday saying that one of the most overrated things about the tournament was the difference between seeds 1 through 4. He said he didn't really see a big deal in getting a three or a four instead of a one or two. This kind of took the wind out of the sails of the rest of the crew on the set who loves to quibble about those seeds. Digger very meekly tried to give some rationale, but came off sounding totally intimidated by the General. Gonzagalove's analogy of the teenage boy next to a cute girl is dead on.

alaskazagnut
03-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Plus he could actually sit up straight too. He looks like a slouch with a bad wardrobe.

Rubbadub
03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Knight showed some genuine disgust every time he had to listen to Dicky V talk. It was hilarious... :D

RenoZag
03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Knight floated a suggestion re: expanding the tournament to 128 teams.

I don't think we'll hear Vitale suggest Knight returns to IU again. . .

Doktorkev
03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
All I can say is that guy looks 15 years younger since he stopped coaching

hoopaddict
03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Did you guys see Knight's expression when Dicky V kept going on about how Indiana should hire Knight back with Digger and Dicky as his assistants? Now that was some funny stuff right there.

zagzilla
03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
If you watched closely, every time Digger talked he faced BK and poked him on the shoulder to make his point. BK looked like at Digger like he had a booger on his finger and leaned away every time he spoke.

Also when Dookie V was running his mouth about Knight returning to Indiana as a coach and Vitale heading up recruiting, Knight looked like he wanted to burn holes in the monitor with his eyes.

He should be very entertaining the next few weeks

WRHUradio
03-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Ditto about the comment that Digger is like a teenage boy sitting next to a cute girl.

If Knight was a female you could make the case of harassment after the amount of times Digger touches and pokes him. It's like Digger is on the set to serve as Knight's traffic cop. I suspect ESPN heads and Digger had a long chat when they signed Knight about Digger's role in trying to make Knight be comfortable and "pleasant". Notice we don't nor will we see Doug Gottlieb on the set with Knight. Doug would actually challenge Knight and I think espn wants to prevent it from being a disaster (tho the ratings would be thru the youtube roof!)

His commentary has been OK, he had some great stuff on the Big 12 teams as he should but nothing too earth-shattering..I havent seen him answer the question of "Knight- who wins this game and break it down why they will" He's been good but a bit vague...probably doesnt want to divulge too much info either and he's friends and respects all these coaches out there too.

I dont think we'll get the tirade the nation is hoping for...One thing about Knight you notice is that he will never say no to the almighty principle of the $$$$...the amount of bad local car dealership commercials he's done is staggering, and who else wears a O'Reilly Auto Parts logo like at all times?? In fact, the the way we'd get to see a tirade is if ESPN required one in the contract!!!

montanazag88
03-16-2008, 09:59 PM
No kidding, Zilla. BK reminded me of Yosemite Sam getting blown up by a stick of dynamite handed to him at the last second and then saying with a red face, shoulders crouched....OOOHHHH I HATE THAT RABBIT.

jim77
03-17-2008, 07:24 AM
The guy is funny as heck. They need to put a "free beer" sign on the set before air time...I'd love to see BK on there a bit sauced up.....then we'd get the "REAL" inside scoop. Better yet, they need to SUPERSIZE the set and bring Eddie Sutton on their too! Ratings would go through the roof. Did you hear the "you catholics need better travel agents" gig???? Hillarious. I think BK may have set himself up for a priceline gig with the star trek guy!

zagco
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Did anyone else see the exchange where Dick Vitale said something like "between you and I, Coach Knight, we have like 1,000 wins...."

Knight thought that was hilalrious. You could tell Dickie V had been wanting to use that segue for a LONG time. Very funny.

Knight has been a great analyst.

hockeyzag
03-17-2008, 07:53 AM
I have loved his commentary so far, his personality brings such a refreshing albeit peculiar change to that group. I actually look forward to watching them now.
I agree with Jim that it would be priceless to have Knight take a few down before going on, you know that guy has some strong opinions and he's holding back.
But really there is no one better to ask about basketball, the guy has one of the greatest basketball minds ever, with one of the most interesting personalities to go with it.

Larrylegend
03-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Bobby Knight is arguably the greatest basketball coach of our era. Look at his resume:

Won more NCAA Division I games than any other head coach (901)
3 NCAA championships
National coach of the year 4 times
1 NIT championship
Coached 1 Olympic gold medal team
Most of his players have graduated

Knight is the only coach to win the NCAA, the NIT, the Olympic Gold, and the Pan American Games Gold.

If he is a fraction of as good an analyst as he was a coach (and he is), viewers are in for a treat. Watch him while you can because you're seeing a true legend.

Robzagnut
03-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Didn't like Knight's comment that 128 teams should get in.

The tourney should be SPECIAL. Not HO HUM like all the bowl games and the hockey and NBA playoffs where everyone and their grandma gets in. 65 is the perfect number and there should be complaining every year from those not good enough to make it.

I liked Dickie V's rebuttal where he said that that the conference tourneys are the chance for those 64 other teams to make their move. Teams like Georgia and San Diego earned their way in the HARD way.

alaskazagnut
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
if you only want to eliminate any complaints by teams getting snubbed.

Maybe a better answer is to require a 12 hour period after all the tournaments are completed so the selection committee has more time to make the correct choice. There would be less doubt for me if I thought the committe wasn't forced to make choices because of teams like Georgia, and all the other last minute games.

Require all games to be completed by Saturday at 11:59 PM Pacific time. Give the selection committee the night to make the best choice.