PDA

View Full Version : The Banquet Tonight

Zagguy
03-14-2008, 09:01 PM
It was one of the best they have done. Best quote? Hertzie talking about the final game of the season. Judge Burgess wrote a letter for the team to be read at the end of the game. Part of the letter read (paraphrasing here): "I would have my jersey romoved from this arena if I could replace it with number #25". Wow.

The best senior night - and we have a wonderful team!

rawkmandale
03-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, that was the biggest "news" of the night, and the standing ovations for Kuso and Pendo were great. Pendo delivered a great speech. Kuso's was heartfelt.

The other buzzworthy comment was Pendo poking fun at Pargo over having two girlfriends at Gonzaga, and made it sound more concurrently than consecutively.

Coach Rice told a story about Pendo showing up numerous times on campus before formally starting school there, and showing his moxie at one of the events by "hitting on Blake Stepp's girlfriend."

All was delivered in warmth and good spirit.

I talked to Jerry Krause a bit and thanked him for the great games we've come to take a bit for granted. He said there could be a couple of "biggies" for next year that can't be disclosed until finalized.

I got to walk down the stairs to the floor with Coach Heathcote and his lovely wife. That was a huge thrill for me, and the Coach is very optimistic about the tournament.

Everyone should think of attending this dinner next year - great chance to talk to the players (talked to all but Austin, Jeremy and Will - Larry was sick, and not in attendance) and the food was great too.

MDABE80
03-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Really a humble and great thing to say about our fav # 25. I hope #25 knows how important that comment is. Class kid. I'm sure he'll be thinking about that for his lifetime....or maybe when he might get in front of the JUDGE;)

We have such a great group of players, fans, alums and just people who love the place. Blessed to have each other.

BobZag
03-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks, guys. Funny, poignant stuff. Any mentions of "unfinished business" next week? :D

gamagin
03-15-2008, 09:08 AM
sorry for my ignorance. but where was the banquet held and was the room full ?

Go zags

rawkmandale
03-15-2008, 10:22 AM
In the McCarthy Center, down on the (covered) floor with the bleachers pushed back. There were 57 tables of 8 people - most were full - so around 500 people. There would have been room for many more tables if enough tickets had sold ($50).

The players sat at the head table on a stage. After they ate, they came around the tables to chat while folks ate (buffet style - front tables went through the line first). Then they were called back for the program, which was primarily thank yous to many support staff and individials, comments from Mark Few, then a video focusing on seniors Kuso and Pendergraft, then introductions by Lloyd (Kuso) and Rice (Pendergraft) and speeches by the two seniors. Then, people could leave or come talk to the players. By FAR the longest cue was to talk to Pendergraft. Jeremy (wearing suspenders - very chik) scooted out kind of quickly, so missed him. The freshmen all seemed to really enjoy it, and were busy out in the crowd. I had a great chat with our newest walkon, Chris (from Quincy). He and Sorenson are very friendly kids - livin' the dream.

It was fun to meet new folks (I came alone). I sat next to the head trainer's wife, and had great conversation with her, as over the years she has made many road trips with the team.

rawkmandale
03-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh, and I should add that an acquaintance of mine was there, and has attended for many years with wife and two sons. He said that this was one of the biggest turnouts ever.

BobZag
03-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks, guys. Funny, poignant stuff. Any mentions of "unfinished business" next week? :D

Hmm?

Bulldog
03-15-2008, 12:00 PM
I have been going to the banquet for about 10 years and the first ones were at the Inn at the Park and were a lot less organized and kind of a wild time. I really like the move to the MAC as the players seem a lot more comfortable on their home turf and the program was on video up on the big screens.

I tried to get a response from some of the players about next week but they pretty much just said they were just looking forward to playing and it didn't matter who they played. My wife wanted a picture of her and Josh and he was real nice and I congratulated him on his comeback and that I looked forward to watching him play in the big tourney.

Good times and good memories.

Zagpower
03-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Some other notes:

Coach Rice remarked about Austin's resemblance to Obama last night.

Pendo annointed Ira the new King of the Weight Room now that he's leaving.

Kuso gave us some more of his unique two handed waves. By the way, Kuso is hilarious and obviously very well liked by everyone. He visited with our table for awhile and is a terrific young man and another great Ambassador for GU.

I was next to Pendo as he was posing for a picture with a local judge who had just introduced herself. She was trying to convince him to change his law specialty from Intellectual Rights to something else.

That's all I can add right now.

GonzagaGurl08
03-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I wish I could have gone. It sounds like it was a great event.