PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Give Up?

CanadZag
03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
So there has been a lot of discussion/critique of Billy Donovan's comments about his young Gator squad and the realization that their bubble has been popped.

This has gotten me thinking. Obviously some things need to be sacrificed to win back-to-back national championships.

So my question is this... What would you be willing to give up for a Zags' National Championship in the next five years?

Examples would be things like missing the tournament for the next three years after, Not winning an NCAA tourney game for a decade, I dunno. What would you give up? As a program or even personally.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
So there has been a lot of discussion/critique of Billy Donovan's comments about his young Gator squad and the realization that their bubble has been popped.

This has gotten me thinking. Obviously some things need to be sacrificed to win back-to-back national championships.

So my question is this... What would you be willing to give up for a Zags' National Championship in the next five years?

Examples would be things like missing the tournament for the next three years after, Not winning an NCAA tourney game for a decade, I dunno. What would you give up? As a program or even personally.

Sex...it's overrated. :lmao:

Rubbadub
03-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Rub would be willing to give up his post total...

ZagMan in Philly
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
I would trade 1 National Championship for 1 year stranded on a desert island (by myself) with nothing but a volleyball named Wilson. :p

CDC84
03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
The challenge for national title winners in the modern era is that their teams are usually gutted by early departures to the NBA draft. No sport punishes success like college basketball. Coaches can prepare for guys like Greg Oden leaving early, but very often the stock of players that they never thought would leave early ends up blowing up thru the roof during the course of a successful NCAA tourney run. Consequently, coaches can be left scrambling for players in the spring that they haven't scouted very much.

jim77
03-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I hope that doesn't turnout to be prophetic CDC....then again I wouldn't be to broken up over a final four and jeremy signing for 7 digits.

LongIslandZagFan
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
I'd swear off alcohol for 2 years.

drnoe
03-14-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd swear off alcohol for 2 years.

Post of the day...the ultimate sacrifice!

RenoZag
03-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Personally, I would give up booze & golf for a year.

Program-wise ? Give up nothing. No Faustian bargain's worth it.

gamagin
03-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I would toast the brave sacrifices of you all with each sip, and with each and every swing of my clubs. And I mean it.

roxdoc
03-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I would give up 2 of next years guards for a ready to go quality "5"

RenoZag
03-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I would toast the brave sacrifices of you all with each sip, and with each and every swing of my clubs. And I mean it.

We thank you for your service. . .;)

Zag365
03-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Just reading this question depresses me. The essence of Gonzaga's program and why it has gotten such favorable national attention is that we don't sacrifice our long-term growth and reputation for short-term gain. We will win a championship on our own terms on our own timetable. Book it.

MickMick
03-14-2008, 05:05 PM
The challenge for national title winners in the modern era is that their teams are usually gutted by early departures to the NBA draft. No sport punishes success like college basketball. Coaches can prepare for guys like Greg Oden leaving early, but very often the stock of players that they never thought would leave early ends up blowing up thru the roof during the course of a successful NCAA tourney run. Consequently, coaches can be left scrambling for players in the spring that they haven't scouted very much.

Add to this the simple math. Since my teen years, the number of people in the US has risen by about 50% (roughly 200 million to 300 million...ballpark).

I don't know how many division one schools with a basketball program have been added in that time, but I'll bet the number hasn't grown by 50%. Not by a long shot.

The simple math tells us that there are many more athletes available per school. This has been further swollen by the growth of basketball on an intermational level resulting in the import player. Ie......JP Batista, Patty Mills, etc. The days of a team winning consecutive titles (qualified with player turnover) are over. Florida did it with the team returning intact, but a doubt we ever see a team do it by "reloading." There are just too many great players spread around country now.

In light of that, we all should feel extremely fortunate of Gonzaga's continued success. The margin between the good and bad is narrowing more with each passing season.

McZag
03-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I would sacrifice nothing because it's simply not worth it.

Longevity and consistency are all that matter to me.

Give me 30 straight dances with a chance to win them all - and all you need is a chance - any day over the "in one year out the next" routine.

Case in point-USF. Back to Back Championships. Had arguably the best player in basketball history in Russell. 50 years later - does anyone care?? Hardly.

Truly its not worth it. What Few is doing is nothing short of phenominal. Give me a bid a year, every year. Consistency baby.

gamagin
03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
well said.

slainte'

Air Force Zag
03-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I would give up having to go on the road to play quality non-conf opponents...they could come to the National Champ's house to play.

Oh, and I would give up ever having to hear about "mid-major" quality and weakness of the WCC.

And I would give up those late night Monday games...ESPN could find a way to put the Zags on earlier for us folks in parts East...

Yeah...I would give up those things...nothing else.

BongKrosby
03-15-2008, 06:56 AM
My left nut.

zag69
03-15-2008, 07:51 AM
I'd give up my Emperor's Club VIP membership card.

RenoZag
03-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I'd give up my Emperor's Club VIP membership card.

:D :lmao:

surfmonkey89
03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I would also give up Bong's left nut.

MDABE80
03-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Never the nutz! Really nothing. We'll get there soon enough. Luck, fancy Irish smiles, dash of faith, some more hard work. It'll gel. It's just a matter of the above and a matter of time./ Remember what we already know....."the waiting is the hardest part"......Tom Petty.:)