PDA

View Full Version : My Concern For This Team

BobZag
03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
What I saw take place in San Diego was a complete reversal of what I had just seen less than a week before. The Zags had gone from (seemingly) peaking to some of their worst basketball of the season. In less than a week.

Well, I have a lot to say, but alas, the PC Police will come out of their caves in swarms to object, so I'll simply leave it at this:

Those were the worst, most embarassing efforts by a Gonzaga team in a WCC Tournament that I've ever seen.

HOOTER
03-13-2008, 04:29 PM
What I saw take place in San Diego was a complete reversal of what I had just seen less than a week before. The Zags had gone from (seemingly) peaking to some of their worst basketball of the season. In less than a week.

Well, I have a lot to say, but alas, the PC Police will come out of their caves in swarms to object, so I'll simply leave it at this:

Those were the worst, most embarassing efforts by a Gonzaga team in a WCC Tournament that I've ever seen.

I agree Bob. I just can't figure this team out. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost badly in the first round of the tourney, and I wouldn't be surprised if they advanced to and beyond the sweet 16. I'm just so confused and I don't know what to think right now. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

GU32
03-13-2008, 04:38 PM
My concern is Micah Downs. I would love to know what happened to his shot/offensive ability. Don't get me wrong the kid plays extremely hard and has become a very good defender but he shouldn’t have a tough time scoring the ball. Maybe his wrist is injured more than we know?

zagco
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but Zagco's been concerned for about 2 years, probably starting with the UCLA game but not really crystallizing until last year. He's not going to blame anyone, but he just thinks something is very wrong. If you go down the list of talent we have recruited, it's simply ridiculous that we struggle fairly regularly with many teams that have talent that is by all measures recruiting-wise, far inferior. The chemistry, offensive scheme, player roles, and excution are puzzling. What gets Zagco the most upset is the almost constant appearance of being unprepared for the intensity of the other team--seeing balls getting swatted away while we stand there acting as though it's an insult and things like that.

MickMick
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Consistency is what it is all about. The Zags may be able to beat just about any team in the tournament. I could see them easily losing to any team in the tourney as well.

Which Zag team is going to show up? The one that handled SMC and SCU with ease? Or the one that couldn't keep pace with San Diego....while Brandon Johnson was taking a rest?

HRZag
03-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Those were two of the worst games I have EVER seen a Zag team play.

What happened to our offense. Do we have more than one play? You know, the one where our only rebounder sets a screen three feet outside the three point line and then nothing happens until we shoot another jump shot.

Austin sitting until the last five minutes?

Josh sitting the last six minutes?

Couldn't Sacre come in at SOME point and changed a shot, gotten a rebound?

Why don't we ever screen the guy with the ball? (except, of course, our only rebounder, outside the three point line)

Pendo is a warrior but he got torched by Jones....again and again.

What is up with this pissing contest between Few and Josh. It is really getting old and Josh I don't see what the problem is. Anybody?

One week and we regressed about 85%.

Wasted opportunity. Slim Jim with all the Zag fans and even the USD fans jamming the place really made it loud. Really fun. Except we didn't have much to cheer about after the first 10 minutes.

Oh Zags!

SunDevilGolfZag
03-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree with you Bob and prefer to be more blunt. Our coaches are great, but they really prepared (or not) a team that looked like crap for two nights in March. I'm concerned too.

siliconzag
03-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Connecticut loses to West Virginia, Memphis loses to Tennessee, Tennessee loses to Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt loses to Arkansas. Only a few constants remain. They include: North Carolina who looks unstoppable to me. Also Kansas who at times is frightening. UCLA who may not be that good, but they are lucky and figure out how to win even if it means mesmerizing the officials. Memphis and Tennessee are pretty good too. But lets face it, after those elite teams almost every body has been up and down and all over the place. Marquette and Xavier have shown vulnerability, Washington State who at one time looked like a possible Final Four Team has become quite inconsistent. Stanford drops two in the Southland. Etc., etc., etc.

Not meaning to hijack this thread. I think those performances were very weak Bob Zag. I wish I had the five hours I wasted watching them back. When we lost to SD in 2003, at least we had a good reason (the severe injury to Corey). This time the only excuse was that we played poorly and didn't execute.

Things may be changing in the WCC right before our very eyes. We lose Pendo and Kuso next year. Where will the fire in the belly come from? If they are this listless with them, how will they do without them? This team will more than likely win one tournament game this year. Then the long off season begins, but without the prospect of a better team next year. The playbook needs to be modernized. The system needs to adapt to the players we recruit rather than the players we recruit to the system. Sometimes you can't turn a sows ear into a silk purse, and vice versa.

Sili

Zag By the Bay
03-13-2008, 05:28 PM
How many more threads are going to start about this team not clicking?
It really is a downer to see all these posts.
Plain and simple. the boys didn't shoot well at the WCC tourney...it happens.
It also very very hard to beat the same team THREE Times in the same season.
It funny because not so long ago the Zags would have one been one of the "bubble teams" for the Big Dance this season, but now we are considered a near lock to go dancing again for the 10th straight season!

Folks, GU also holds the distinction of being one of only nine schools to have reached each of the past nine NCAA tournaments - the only school not from a major conference to do so.

Now let's look at Maryland, Syracuse and Florida who have won National Titles in 2002, 2004 and 2006 and 2007 respectively.
This season each one of those teams has a very slim chance of EVEN getting to the dance this year
I guess all these posts allow for us Zag fans to vent, but I think that this is case of over reacting.
When is the last time we have won a National Championship?
We all know that answer, but seriously if the Zags were ever crowned National Champs, would we Zags fans actually be satisfied?
I am very proud to say I am GU alum whether we win or lose a basketball game.
This is suppose to be fun time of year for us Zag fans, yet some of use feel the need to look back on dwell on the negative.
Move on please....let the boys play and the coaches coach.
If we win awesome, if we lose, well let's not hang our heads and dwell on what could have been.
Go Zags!

zag buddy
03-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Could you be a little more direct
BZ.

zagcheer78
03-13-2008, 05:33 PM
I have stayed away from this board for a few days as I needed time to process what I saw the other evening.
What I am left with is confusion. I thought that maybe the team blew off the championship game for various reasons known only to them. Now I am truely worried that something is seriously wrong with the "heart" of this team.
I cannot understand how a team can be focused, improving and strong and then regress back to the unorganized and destracted team that we saw earlier this season.
I truely want our team to work out whatever it is that's bothering them as this rollercoaster they are on must be extremely hard on them as it is for us.

BobZag
03-13-2008, 05:46 PM
How many more threads are going to start about this team not clicking?
It really is a downer to see all these posts.
Plain and simple. the boys didn't shoot well at the WCC tourney...it happens.
It also very very hard to beat the same team THREE Times in the same season.
It funny because not so long ago the Zags would have one been one of the "bubble teams" for the Big Dance this season, but now we are considered a near lock to go dancing again for the 10th straight season!

Folks, GU also holds the distinction of being one of only nine schools to have reached each of the past nine NCAA tournaments - the only school not from a major conference to do so.

Now let's look at Maryland, Syracuse and Florida who have won National Titles in 2002, 2004 and 2006 and 2007 respectively.
This season each one of those teams has a very slim chance of EVEN getting to the dance this year
I guess all these posts allow for us Zag fans to vent, but I think that this is case of over reacting.
When is the last time we have won a National Championship?
We all know that answer, but seriously if the Zags were ever crowned National Champs, would we Zags fans actually be satisfied?
I am very proud to say I am GU alum whether we win or lose a basketball game.
This is suppose to be fun time of year for us Zag fans, yet some of use feel the need to look back on dwell on the negative.
Move on please....let the boys play and the coaches coach.
If we win awesome, if we lose, well let's not hang our heads and dwell on what could have been.
Go Zags!

I comment once on these two games and I get this. Btw, most here are GU alums and are proud of our school, no matter what. This is about our team, not Maryland. I don't care about the Terps.

dim4sum
03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
What I fail to see on this team is a sense of fun. The players should be out there having fun and I don't see it. It seems that every time they put the ball up they are half way looking over their shoulders at the bench. They aren't playing with controlled abandon. In fact, they seem more reactive to the other team, rather than playing their game. In the San Diego game, Jeremy reverted to over-dribbling, which seems to take the air out of the ball and the spirit out of everyone else. The movement without the ball was awful.
And on the d end it was even worse. A lot of gawking while San Diego gobbled up rebound after rebound. I can't see more than a one and done with this kind of play.

BobZag
03-13-2008, 05:55 PM
What I fail to see on this team is a sense of fun. The players should be out there having fun and I don't see it. It seems that every time they put the ball up they are half way looking over their shoulders at the bench. They aren't playing with controlled abandon. In fact, they seem more reactive to the other team, rather than playing their game. In the San Diego game, Jeremy reverted to over-dribbling, which seems to take the air out of the ball and the spirit out of everyone else. The movement without the ball was awful.
And on the d end it was even worse. A lot of gawking while San Diego gobbled up rebound after rebound. I can't see more than a one and done with this kind of play.

This was my first post regarding the two tourney games, and it'll be my last regarding these games. Good luck to the team.

McZag
03-13-2008, 06:49 PM
:

And the most impressive and inspiring efforts from a USD team since 2003. I can't help but believe its not just coincidence.

Now for some good news. Our roster hasn't changed. We are EXTREMELY fortunate to have the talent we have this year. Dare I say BLESSED. These guys still have it in them to play with the top 5 in the country. We know that because they HAVE.

Last year many of these guys were around when we beat UNC. This year they hung around with Memphis and Tennessee. This is not a bunch of SCABs. These guys are for real and have it in them to prevail.

We owe it to them to BELIEVE and I for one DO. GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gamagin
03-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Just a few days after JP is named POY and Pendo & Matt join him on the 1st team WCC all star team, and closely after we just won the WCC championship, plus everything else that will swell a young man's self esteem, these same guys are supposed to get up for playing another round as if the one that just ended didn't matter.

It didn't happen.

I think they should have taken it more seriously. As a start for their own engines to launch them into the dance, with perhaps a better than anticipated seeding (but no guarantee) with some Mo. Most on the GUB and those who traveled to S.D., wanted to see a launch, too. It seemed like a logical next step to bring us deeper into the dance this year.

But whatever or whoever was going to ignite the spark that brought the thunder and lightning and performance into the Slim Gym just never got off the plane. Or perhaps, out of the K2.

For whatever reasons, they just couldn not pull it together, take SCU or SDU very seriously on this particular weekend and it showed.

AS long as it happened, the contrarian in me says it will do little to no harm. In fact, it could provide the kind of momentum coach Few has been warning about all year. The kind of example of what happens when you don't show up and play every minute. When you take the other guy for granted and so on.

IF.

IF they remind themselves that there are great shooters among them who need to shoot. IF the excellent team players who need to focus do just that, and insist everyone else do the same. IF those underneath realize they are essentially in need of beating the man opposite them, and to outrebound them, get the putbacks & then fight like hell at the other end, too.

And so on.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. the Zags haven't forgotten how to play basketball, how to shoot and how to beat anyone on any day. They have assumed those thoughts and actions would kick in automatically. They don't.

The ebb and flow, the spark and the subsequent zone and rythmn of each game requires conscious efforts, risk taking, opportunistic hustle and a re commitment to excellence.

The good news is the Zags don't have to invent any of these requirements. They do have to bring them back, recall them and the times they performed as champions, and start, once again, acting like the champions they have been, the champions they are, and the champions who came before them.

And if they do, we will see an attitude show up, along with the toughness that has been held in abeyance too long.

And if that isn't good enough, if it doesn't work, we will leave each contest with a sense of having given the other team everything we have.

And we will look forward, with pride, to the next opportunity.

However, I believe firmly, if we go in with that kind of renewed attitude, each game, we have as good a chance as anyone to win every game we enter.

This a great opportunity these lads have provided for themselves and us this season. I hope they take full advantage. I wish them the best.

Go Zags.

Zag By the Bay
03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
I comment once on these two games and I get this. Btw, most here are GU alums and are proud of our school, no matter what. This is about our team, not Maryland. I don't care about the Terps.

It took you three plus days to make the bold statement that you have "concerns" about the team?
Why put a thumbs down on the thread?
Why not make your comments in other threads that have been started since Monday?
I know, I know it's a free country and you can do what you want.
I have no doubt that there are very proud alums on this board, but remember it it a game that played by 19 and 20-year olds.
The success of the basketball program is only small portion of what is truly makes Gonzaga a special place.
I think folks on this board lose sight of that fact sometimes.
Honestly, I not so sure that IF and that is a BIG IF, we were fortunate enough to win whole thing that some alums and fans would be satisfied.

El Voce
03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Gamagin -- Nicely put!

gamagin
03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Fwiw, I think BZ was sort of mild on these guys compared to what they are likely hearing from Few, and saying to each other, about last weekend.

If I played like that, my mother would have me sleeping outside. In the snow. And my dog wouldn't come out to be with me, or comfort me, either.

So when BZ goes off, it is with his heart and mind in the right place.

I value his perspective. I hope you pick up on it, too, and consider it a sort of message from Few's lips to this Board. Or as close as any of us will get.

Because many times, it is.

best regards,

alaskazagnut
03-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I think we have a new type of basketball player coming to Gonzaga University. I think Mark Few has to alter his coaching style to accomodate the big egos left over from high school (MR basketball this, MR basketball that). EGO MANAGEMENT is lagging behind EGO SIGNING.

One common link to strict military discipline is Bobby Knight and Mike Krzyzewski. 2 of the winningest coaches ever, both Army blood. Anything else is too soft and too accepting of failure.

(Don't freak out everyone) I think Coach K is a perfect blend of Knight and Few. Ethics and individual personality growth combined with sheer strict discipline. The two are not mutually exclusive. Plus coach K is a devout Catholic with an obvious Jesuit teaching style.

My problem with the entire school system in America today is the lack of discipline and lack of personal responsibility to the team. Be the TEAM our country, our family, our school or our basketball team. Self is more important nowadays, and we as parents are partly to blame. Few will get there.

We will not be 1 and done this year!!! I back my Zags just like I will forever back my own children who have to grow up in this "ME ONLY" world.

Look at the world we live in....if we all just worked together instead of for ourselves. WOW!!

gueastcoast
03-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I appreciate and respect BZ's points and those of all who have posted here.

We lost one game, to a team on its home court. I know we struggled with SCU, but we won.

These are kids. They aren't as consistent as we would like for them to be.

I just can't hit the panic button. I wish we had clicked better in the WCC tournament, but let's remember, esp re: USD....

It's not just about one team, but about the other one that takes the court. USD played great and deserved the win. That doesn't repudiate all that we are, but sometimes we act as if if GU does everything "right" then of course we will win. That doesn't account for the coaching, skill and heart on the other side. You can't win 'em all.

But let's win 'em all NOW. G*d willing...

East Coast

Zagguy
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Didn't we have some Mr. Basketballs prior to the last few years? GoZags or Angelo will know, but I think Violette was one, as was Bankhead. And heck, Pendo was Mr. Washington and for what I know he doesn't fall in the high maintenance group.

I don't see a problem with high maintenance, but maybe a problem with high expectations.

ZagNative
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Fwiw, I think BZ was sort of mild on these guys compared to what they are likely hearing from Few, and saying to each other, about last weekend.

If I played like that, my mother would have me sleeping outside. In the snow. And my dog wouldn't come out to be with me, or comfort me, either.
I'm with your mother. :lmao:

BongKrosby
03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Has anyone on this board ever watched a full 40 minutes of college basketball?

We played like crap. We are better than that and it will show next Thursday or Friday.

Some of ya'll need to relax. It's just basketball. Be thankful we have been to 10 straight tournaments, something only a handful of schools can say.

I don't think this is our year but you never know what can happen on the court. I hope we can get some toruney experience for our youngsters because 2009 is our year.

rawkmandale
03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Well, I still think 2008 is our year. THIS will be the year - just you wait and see.

upan8th
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
You can talk and talk about talent, about hope, potential and about achievement. Posts in the preseason and early going centered on the great talent on this year's team, and the hope that this reservoir of talent could make up for the loss of Steven & Josh in the difficult OOC schedule.

Early results indicated that talent might override the injuries (though I vaguely remember BZ posting a harangue after a preseason SCRIMMAGE). The WKU game and then the Texas Tech puzzler in Alaska posed some questions about this team's chemistry and heart that at this late date have yet to be answered.

A question as to how many games GU has played with distinction against top fifty opponents yields, in this opinion, only one: The last home game against St Marys. Whether, at times, it's a lack of execution on offense, or at other times, defensive lapses, or many times an overall lack of intensity, the team has failed to come close to its potential. And dim4sum is absolutely correct in saying there seems to be no joy among the players. This is what's so upsetting to me and many of the fans commenting in this forum.

Mark Few & Co appear to be as puzzled as any of us as to why this group has failed to jell. I haven't a clue either. It hasn't happened; it's not going to happen this year. With the possible exception of last year, it's the first time in 9 years I've no hope at all for more than a one and done in the Tourney.

gueastcoast
03-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Bong Krosby, as always - finally somebody speaking some sense ;)

Where is Francesa when we need him?

roxdoc
03-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Upan8th - you hit it right on the head.

And the $64 question: What must be done to change things for next year?

zagfan07
03-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Connecticut loses to West Virginia, Memphis loses to Tennessee, Tennessee loses to Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt loses to Arkansas. Only a few constants remain. They include: North Carolina who looks unstoppable to me. Also Kansas who at times is frightening. UCLA who may not be that good, but they are lucky and figure out how to win even if it means mesmerizing the officials. Memphis and Tennessee are pretty good too. But lets face it, after those elite teams almost every body has been up and down and all over the place. Marquette and Xavier have shown vulnerability, Washington State who at one time looked like a possible Final Four Team has become quite inconsistent. Stanford drops two in the Southland. Etc., etc., etc.

I couldn't agree more. After those first 5 or 6 teams, the rest of the pack is pretty even or inconsistent, however you want to look at it. That being said, there's definately some spots up for grabs in the Elite 8. It's going to be one of the most unpredicatble first two rounds in tourney history because of the parity/inconsistancy between the tournament teams. Here's to the Zags turning it around and surprising a few people. We need big things out of our guards, as that always plays a pivotal role in March.

gamagin
03-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I think we're wringing our hands over what many of us have been wishing for: a more competitive WCC. Tougher opponents. Closer games.

As Sili points out, it's not just in our league that things are beconming more difficult, less predictable. It's happening all over the country. No one is really safe anymore.

The teams everyone expects to win are finding that their opponents don't see it that way. They want a piece of the pie. They will do what it takes to get it.

Our run of dominance is over. That doesn't mean we can't win the WCC, it means we can't win it without dealing with a whole new, and growing, level of competition, hustle and talent.

Because that is what many schools in the league are busy working on. And more and more basketball programs throughout the country are doing just that as well. They are working hard to raise their games and records of success to our level.

Some want to be like us. But in the end, they want to surpass or succeed us in the minds and hearts of the country as the new little engine that could.

And that has boosted the level of pressure on everyone as well.

This has been a transition team and season in just about every way fathomable, imo.

Welcome to the throes, fits and jerks of parity.

jim77
03-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Good comments.

I especially liked this one from HRZag:

"What happened to our offense. Do we have more than one play? You know, the one where our only rebounder sets a screen three feet outside the three point line and then nothing happens until we shoot another jump shot."

Dead on! You got to hand it to Kuso...the guy is trying his best to "freeup" the offense. I sure would like to see him getting cozy with Josh's man cause if josh gets any room at all he could do some damage...that is if their both allowed on the court at the same time. We can't be conservative anymore...its time to use our inside guys. (josh AND kuso) Its one and done time now. On a positive note....the team has look great on occasion and has the ability to execute on offense. Don't forget that their has been a LOT of patchwork that had to be done due to injuries and sicknesses.

The one thing I don't like about the tournament is the stoppages of play. It seems like everytime a team gets rolling theres another timeout for a commercial or something. (I guess the sponsors need their time but it is getting out of hand) The Zags cannot relie on momentum or loud fans, they must EXECUTE! The 1 on 1 crap isn't gonna work here in the dance....somebody's gonna have to actually move without the ball and set screens(besides Kuso)...in short we need to learn to manufacture a bucket again. I feel ok about the defense...the guys will hold ther own there.

Overall, I'm optimistic about our chances of playing more than 1 game. Because as quickly as they went downhill (San Diego is better than most think) we've all seen them come out the very next game and light somebody up. They are still a dangerous team and I suspect Few will have them chompin at the bit!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA GS!

TexasZagFan
03-14-2008, 08:45 AM
My concern for this team is its apparent lack of playing with a "chip on their shoulder". I saw glimpses of it in OKC, from Kuso. With the exception of Kuso, Pargo & Pendo, the rest of the team gets this "deer in the headlights" look. Sloppy/weak passes, not getting the key rebound or loose ball, poor shot selection...I suppose it goes back to the consistently inconsistent look we've had all year.

The inability to turn "potential" into "results" has had me befuddled.

We're now at the point in the season where "heart", not "talent" will be key. I think our guys have the heart, whereas in past years, I knew our guys had the heart.

Ending on a positive note, our defense has been better this year than in previous years. And that has to say something about the heart and character of these young men.

I think we're all asking which Zag team is going to show up at The Dance. I'm sure the coaching staff is trying to sort that out, too.

omahazag
03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
I think we're wringing our hands over what many of us have been wishing for: a more competitive WCC. Tougher opponents. Closer games.

As Sili points out, it's not just in our league that things are beconming more difficult, less predictable. It's happening all over the country. No one is really safe anymore.

The teams everyone expects to win are finding that their opponents don't see it that way. They want a piece of the pie. They will do what it takes to get it.

Our run of dominance is over. That doesn't mean we can't win the WCC, it means we can't win it without dealing with a whole new, and growing, level of competition, hustle and talent.

Because that is what many schools in the league are busy working on. And more and more basketball programs throughout the country are doing just that as well. They are working hard to raise their games and records of success to our level.

Some want to be like us. But in the end, they want to surpass or succeed us in the minds and hearts of the country as the new little engine that could.

And that has boosted the level of pressure on everyone as well.

This has been a transition team and season in just about every way fathomable, imo.

Welcome to the throes, fits and jerks of parity.

While I, like you Gamagin and many others, want an ultra-competitve WCC that pushes the zags even if it means losing games and our hold on WCC crowns, I don't think there is parity in the WCC, including San Diego and St. Mary's for that matter.

On talent level alone, NO team in the WCC even matches what the Zags have, this year.....only SMC should even be considered anywhere near the talent level of GU, and that's a stretch in my opinion (i understand there are good players on WCC teams, but not in the numbers GU has). Problem is is that individiual talent level doesn't necessarily translate into a great team if the intangilbes such as hustle, drive, team work, etc are missing. I think, and hope that parity is coming to the WCC, but not yet, not with the HUGE discrepency in talent Gonzaga still has.

My frustration with this year's team is its inability to gel and be consistent. This team should have blown nearly every WCC teams out of the water this year (and arguably , SMC and SD, but was not expecting it), however, this team decided to play to level of its opponents. I hear the excuse that GU gets every teams best shot, fills gyms, etc, which we do, however, that is no different than the Dukes, Memphis, etc. of the world who blow these very same teams, in tougher conferences, out of the water on a consistent basis b/c they have superior talent and play as a team. We have superior talent, but the other part seems to be missing for whatever reason which is why i think so many are left scratching their heads, and rightfully so.

I hope the Zags come together as a team in the NCAA's. I'm not jumping off the bandwagon, just holding on to those flashes of greatness that this team has displayed sporadically over the year.

Reborn
03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
First of all, the Zags just won the tough WCC a week earlier. Maybe there was a slight let up. Anyone who knows how all this works knows that the conference championship is way more important then the conference championship. The conference championships, imo, are mostly for teams who are on the bubble. The need to win or they're out. And sometimes they're for a team that is really good, maybe finishes 3rd like San Diego, and because the tournament is in their gym, the get the good fortune to play in the NCAA tournament. I don't believe all that much stock is put into the conference championships for teams who have already solidified their place in the tournament (as Gonzaga DID). So a slight let up, yes.

But I think the biggest reason we lost was that this game was played in San Diego. Did we look off our game. Heck yeah. But when teams play on the road they almost always will be off their game. I think it's a well known fact these days (accept maybe in the PAC 10) teams play way better at home. When you're at home you get a 10 pt advantage. Yes. We did beat them in their gym in conference play. But I think that for the Terreros the stakes were a lot higher in the WCC conference championship game.

I think, that in retrospeck I think to blame the loss on the lack of heart in this team is not just. I really hope that Few hasn't been all that negative on the team, and has focussed on the positive things that the team has accomplished this year. Going 13-1 in conference play is a gigantic accomplishment, and especially when there is a team ranked in the top 20 or 25 in it (and they are NOT the Zags), and a 3rd team as tough as San Diego is. This team wass able to accomplish the championship even though they were not at full steam until maybe the last weekend.

One more thing. I also believe that playing two nights in a row had a profound effect on Josh, and honestly I thought it would. It was my biggest concern. Sometimes, not being at full strength looks like lack of effort. Josh's strength has been a concern all season. It has been obvious that his strength was not there in that foot. He has been slowly get the strength back, but even Few recently said that Josh would not regain full strength in that foot until next year. And I believe that playing two days in a row, had an effect on Josh's foot, and thus on his performance.

I believe we will see a team that will play much better then they did in the loss to San Diego. And as I've said previously, sometimes losses do help the team. We had won like 8 or 9 in a row. And maybe we just needed a loss to get us back where we will be completely focussed again. At least I hope so.

RomanZag
03-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I've seen horse maneur play better basketball than the Zags did against Santa Clara and San Diego.

The problem with this team all year was that we didn't have a guy with a killer instinct: the unquestioned go-to guy, the Santangelo, Dickau, Stepp, Morrison, Heytvelt-of-old guy. I thought Pargo was becoming that guy. Boy was I mistaken.

Go Zags in the Tourney. I have very little optimism about their chances to get out of the first weekend.

MickMick
03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
On talent level alone, NO team in the WCC even matches what the Zags have, this year.....only SMC should even be considered anywhere near the talent level of GU, and that's a stretch in my opinion (i understand there are good players on WCC teams, but not in the numbers GU has). Problem is is that individiual talent level doesn't necessarily translate into a great team if the intangilbes such as hustle, drive, team work, etc are missing. I think, and hope that parity is coming to the WCC, but not yet, not with the HUGE discrepency in talent Gonzaga still has.

I respectfully disagree. Zags may be deeper than any team in the WCC, but the USD/SMC/SCU starting units and especially the star players (ie...Bryant, Simpson. Johnson) are much better than you give them credit for.

I grow weary of people (not you omaha) that are quick to toss coach Few under the bus without taking into account that some other WCC teams may actually be good. There are, after all, 3 WCC teams going to the big dance.

gamagin
03-14-2008, 11:09 AM
If there is a flaw in most of our positions, I think it is this: WE believe we have superior athletes. Therefore we should be better. Therefore we are better.

Well try to tell that to SCU (whom we should have lost that 1 game to), SMU, SDU. They don't seem to accept that premise. To me they seem too close for comfort, perhaps a couple of players to be exact.

And as Mick notes, there are some really excellent players now practicing their craft in the WCC. I would add that many of them would press any one of our players for their position. In fact, they did during our games with them.

So I think it may be the GUB, talking to itself, that has decided we have superior talent therefore we are head and shoulders above the pack.

The fact is we have not shown that we are head and shoulders above this league nearly as much as we, here on the GUB, have claimed. We have managed to keep winning enough games. But it has not been a cakewalk, imo.

And it is only going to get more competitive.

pbriz
03-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I've seen horse maneur play better basketball than the Zags did against Santa Clara and San Diego.

The problem with this team all year was that we didn't have a guy with a killer instinct: the unquestioned go-to guy, the Santangelo, Dickau, Stepp, Morrison, Heytvelt-of-old guy. I thought Pargo was becoming that guy. Boy was I mistaken.

Go Zags in the Tourney. I have very little optimism about their chances to get out of the first weekend.

I have to disagree about Pargo. If there is one player on this team that has the killer isntinct it is him, and perhaps Daye down the road.

If I had to single out one player that has hurt us the most it has been Pendo. He is too slow to get out to defend the three and too undersized to get rebounds. 4.4 rebounds/game for starting PF is not sufficient. Same goes for Kuso in terms of rebounding. Our guard play has been good this year, but its our inside players that have let games slip away. We got torched on the rebounds against San Diego, especially the easy ones, the defensive ones. I feel like Josh and Daye have picked up the rebounding as of late. Pargo, Bouldin, Daye, Josh, Kuso should be our starting lineup and I will never understand why its not. That is just a match-up nightmare and we could really sink teams before they realize what we have done while rebounding the ball alot better. I hate to question Few, but its time to stop being nice (starting Pendo) and start trying to win a national championship.

D Hark 2003
03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
I think we played like, oh wait i know we played like crap. The turnovers killed us that day. We didnt look like we were mentally into the game. I chose not to write anything until a week later because i was pissed. I think our problems in these big games is coaching. How many times are we going to come out and play like the world is on our shoulders and just crumble under pressure. Few needs to get these guys to play loose, but intense, have fun, but take the game seriously. There is a fine line the coach needs to walk there. We need to play for fun, and not because the entire zag nation will ##### if we lose, or because coach few will yell at us if we lose. Coach Few, try having your players understand that the reason they are playing is because they love the game, and they love the game because it is so much fun to play.

With all that being said, we were playing a team on their home court that was fighting for its season, they were done if they lost that game so basically they were fighting for their lives and they did a good job. BUT WE STILL SHOULD HAVE WON! Get your #### together for the tourney.

FuManShoes
03-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I have to disagree about Pargo. If there is one player on this team that has the killer isntinct it is him, and perhaps Daye down the road.

If I had to single out one player that has hurt us the most it has been Pendo. He is too slow to get out to defend the three and too undersized to get rebounds. 4.4 rebounds/game for starting PF is not sufficient. Same goes for Kuso in terms of rebounding. Our guard play has been good this year, but its our inside players that have let games slip away. We got torched on the rebounds against San Diego, especially the easy ones, the defensive ones. I feel like Josh and Daye have picked up the rebounding as of late. Pargo, Bouldin, Daye, Josh, Kuso should be our starting lineup and I will never understand why its not. That is just a match-up nightmare and we could really sink teams before they realize what we have done while rebounding the ball alot better. I hate to question Few, but its time to stop being nice (starting Pendo) and start trying to win a national championship.

Sorry, but our guards mostly sucked in San Diego. When it's left to the inside guys to do the damage -- one of whom is hobbling and the other has very limited offensive capability -- we are doomed. Pendo does most of his work on the offensive glass or on a pick and pop three. Hopefully he finds his stroke. But it's the guards who worry me. They are wildly inconsistent. 20+ points one night, none the next. This team will go only as far as Bouldin/Pargo/Gray and the wings (Daye and Downs) take them. Gray may be the x-factor, because if he is taking and making threes it will free up guys inside. But what cannot happen is more goose eggs from Bouldin and quiet nights from Downs, Daye and Gray. someone has to step up. And because I mention it everytime I mention Downs, I'll do it again: Micah, please knock it off with the one-handed pump-shot runner thing that looks like an elephent shooting from its trunk. That shot will never work. Spot up and take a mid-range jumper or drive all the way to the basket for a layup or dunk. Please!!!!

cggonzaga
03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I grow weary of people (not you omaha) that are quick to toss coach Few under the bus without taking into account that some other WCC teams may actually be good. There are, after all, 3 WCC teams going to the big dance.

Outside of the top 2 (San Diego had a good weekend) do you really believe there were good teams in the WCC this year? And outside of San Diego, St Mary's and Pepperdine, who from the WCC has gone to the big dance in the past 10 years? There are 2-3 average teams in the WCC almost every year compared to 6-8 good teams in the BCS leagues. It's not the same whether you want to admit it or not.

RomanZag
03-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I thought Mark Few was the next Jim Boheim. I guess I was wrong. Few's in-game coaching has been atrocious this year, specifically as it pertains to substitutions and team defense. The fact that David Pendergraft and Abdullahi Kuso are his two favorite players speaks volumes of his blind reliance on "mental toughness" and "hustle" when talent (Austin Daye, Micah Downs, Josh Heytvelt) loses minutes. Why does Steven Gray get 34 minutes against San Diego while Austin Daye plays only 18? Sure, Gray may be more mature, but Daye is a difference-maker. Few better attend Coach K Coach Camp this summer, or BobZag and Angelo better set him straight. I'd love to see Billy Grier at Gonzaga in two years.

BroncoZAG615
03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Have to agree with Roman.

As it has been discussed on these boards the whole year, Few has been completely devoted to his senior players. Yes, these players have the grit and determination to play at the end of the game but they do not always present the best matchups for every single team. Its been the same story all year.

Kuso has been dynamite throughout the WCC after a slow start but at the end in games against USD when we aren't rebounding for squat, why not try a smaller quicker lineup and run more and create faster rebounds rather than sitting in a set lineup. Play Pendo and Daye at the same time. You could try and body up Pomare with Pendo if we do get in half court and double him because we are small. Our low post guys were not getting it done. Stop forcing it.

His hook is so quick with our players not named Bouldin. Matt, who I love more than any Zag to ever play, has made many mistakes this year and still plays 35 minutes. Austin, Steven, Micah, etc if they make mistakes they are immediately benched. If Josh so much as sneezes he is benched. Even Pargo is hooked for a couple mistakes. It is really hard for these kids to have any sort of groove. All this talent cant come off the bench cold for a minute and be expected to produce if they are taken out a minute after. It's just not gonna happen. Play your best players