• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Best case scenario strategy tonight

First, Gonzaga should attack, attack and attack some more. It needs to be an all-out blitz on defense and offense. Fullcourt press and body-up on D. Deny the post and know at all times where DeRogatis is. On offense, it'd be a sin for Gonzaga to get too "3-point happy." Instead, attack the rim, force them to expend as much energy as possible, to play D for 30 secs each time downcourt if the fastbreak isn't there. Sure, take the open treys, but don't fall in love with it. Push the ball. Put them on their heels. And build a lead that gives the Zags a break and puts it out of reach. Zags must come out the hunter.

If GU does not come out as the aggressor, it will be evident within minutes, and Mark Few should call an immediate time-out and chew some serious arse.

What Zag fans should hope for in the SMC-SCU game is a total blood bath, an emotional holy war between these two rivals who hate each other. Zag fans want every emotion in the book to be in this game, every ounce of effort and energy, all left out on the court. Overtime or double-OT or more would be welcome. Zag fans want the winner--I'm thinking SMC--to be as emotionally and physically spent as possible, so to increase the likelihood of coming out flat and spent and anti-climactic Monday night.

Whether this "best case scenario" plays out, or not, is anyone's guess. But it's what I'm hoping for, as a Zag fan.

Zags have to grab this tournament and just take it. No excuses. Period.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • UberZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
    First, Gonzaga should attack, attack and attack some more. It needs to be an all-out blitz on defense and offense. Fullcourt press and body-up on D. Deny the post and know at all times where DeRogatis is. On offense, it'd be a sin for Gonzaga to get too "3-point happy." Instead, attack the rim, force them to expend as much energy as possible, to play D for 30 secs each time downcourt if the fastbreak isn't there. Sure, take the open treys, but don't fall in love with it. Push the ball. Put them on their heels. And build a lead that gives the Zags a break and puts it out of reach. Zags must come out the hunter.

If GU does not come out as the aggressor, it will be evident within minutes, and Mark Few should call an immediate time-out and chew some serious arse.
    Pressure the ball. Yes, I agree. The team played best as a team last week against USD when they were pressuring the ball. Even if you can't pick up the steal, you put them up against a short clock. Obviously, no team should ever get too 3 point happy (unless just everything is dropping), so agree that they need to mix it up with attacking the basket. I think the key is who is shooting though and in what situations. Pendo/Mallon early/mid in the clock off of set plays and with wide open looks. When the clock winds down or the play breaks down, Pargo or Downs should have the ball and preferably DRav or Downs should be taking those shots. Otherwise, all plays should be looking to DRav to shoot/penetrate. The Zags offense breaks down when the wrong players are taking shots at the wrong time.

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
    What Zag fans should hope for in the SMC-SCU game is a total blood bath, an emotional holy war between these two rivals who hate each other. Zag fans want every emotion in the book to be in this game, every ounce of effort and energy, all left out on the court. Overtime or double-OT or more would be welcome. Zag fans want the winner--I'm thinking SMC--to be as emotionally and physically spent as possible, so to increase the likelihood of coming out flat and spent and anti-climactic Monday night.
    BZ: Save this for after the GU game. For now, my mind is on a GU win. Attack. Execute. Hustle.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

Posted by BobZag: "Zags must come out the hunter."

Again BZ, "If GU does not come out as the aggressor, it will be evident within minutes, and Mark Few should call an immediate time-out and chew some serious arse."

Great post BZ. I like the way the words float through my mind as I mix these words with my precious coffee.... You are right. We must come out as the hunter and the aggressor. And we will. I've got a very good feeling about it all. This game tonight is going to be very, very enjoyable. What I mostly want to see is us containing DeRogatis THE WHOLE GAME. Not just the 2nd half. We can do that best by staying out of the zone defense. I'm also looking forward to seeing how they plan on defending us. We have so many options, vs San Diego whom I think is somewhat limited.....San Diego has given us two good fights, and I look forward to this finale!!! I'm thinking that I'd sure like to see a knockout tonight....
      Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2007, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Bulldog
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Good job BZ, should e-mail your post to the coaching crew, but hopefully after the strange season we have had this year, they should have a clue as to your scenario.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOO ZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGSSSS
        "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

Comment

• thickman1
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Feb 2007

No offense to Sean, but he may be best served coming off the bench in this one. Start Micah, or Pendo for a smaller, quicker lineup that can get up and down the floor pressuring USD. I can't wait for tonight.

Comment

• sullyzag66
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I watched the first two games and San Diego is playing with a lot of confidence, but they've got to be tired physically. They're playing with high emotion and DeRogatis is the leader in that department. He gets them fired up. Shutting him down may be difficult, but essential. Zags cannot come out flat or they will get steamrolled by SD's emotional energy and the haters in the crowd will come alive.

Comment

• FuManShoes
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

A big day for PMAC?

I seem to remember he came in and shut down DeReogtis in the 2nd half last time these two faced each other. So will PMAC see more minutes than usual today?
              “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

Pierre will get his chances, you bet.

Comment

• wiszag
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Feb 2007

FuMan

I was about to post the same thing. If you go back to the last game, DeRagotis (sp?) didn't do much when PMAC was on the floor. I hope the coaches watched the tapes, it was pretty obvious that PMAC put a blanket over him.

Go Zags!

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Defense will win this game AND this tournament. If the Zags dare come out and don't play 110%, it could be NIT for them.

Comment

• Bulldog
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Don't stress BZ the Zag's are ready and will take of business.
                      "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

Comment

Best Case Scenario strategy tonight

Posted by Bulldog. "Don't stress BZ the Zag's are ready and will take of business."

I have to laugh at that BD!!! 20 minutes before game time and I'm so nervous my stomach is just full of butterflies tonight.....Wow!!! I haven't been THIS nervous all year....But this is TOURNAMENT TIME and that's the best time of year....Don't ya just love being nervous like this?? I feel so alive tonight!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X