PDA

View Full Version : Austin Daye...

former1dog
03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
... wanted to win the game vs. USD as bad as Pargo did. From my perspective, he played with heart and desire and was making key plays. He even showed his passion in a very ill advised way by giving Pomare a little shove on a dead ball. Although I'm not a big fan of playing outside the rules, nor would I advocate fighting, that moment showed his fighting spirit and willingness to win. A trait I didn't see out of any other player on the team except Pargo.

Playing 18 minutes, though, he just didn't have the chance to positively impact that game the way he should have been able to. :(

tobizag
03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
:agreed:

my sentiments exactly f1d.

Reborn
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Absolutely agree with you on this one F1. Can you believe it? I think it's been Few's biggest blunder so far this year. The good news is that he has time to correct it. When we think of Daye we think of his offensive talents, but he has shown us a whole different side of himself. As you pointed out, he's tough. He's our best rebounder and you don't become a good rebounder without toughness. He's also our best shot blocker. If he had more support from Few, I think he could have averaged 17 ppg this year.

former1dog
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
He's our best rebounder and you don't become a good rebounder without toughness. He's also our best shot blocker.

Austin was the absolute best rebounder on the floor yesterday and it wasn't close. He got every ball that came within 10 feet of him.

He also had at least 3 blocks in that game. I don't care what the stat sheet lists him with.

zagzilla
03-11-2008, 01:26 PM
If Few won't play Kuso and Josh at the same time, then we should see what Austin and Josh can do together. It was working very well vs. SMC and would be a very difficult matchup especially with Michah at the 3 instead of Gray.

If I am a GU opponent the lineup I fear the most is

Josh
Austin
Michah
Pargo
Bouldin

That is a case of choose your poison. I'd like to see what 20 minutes per game of this lineup on the floor could do.

TacomaZAG
03-11-2008, 02:51 PM
That is our most effective line-up and the most difficult for opponents to match up with. That line-up has been on the floor together intermittently, but not for longer than a couple of minutes at a time. Add Gray, Pendo, and Kuso off the bench for breathers and energy and you have your rotation.

It's not too late, and this should be our starting line-up next year as well, with Sacre for Kuso and LG/Ira for Pendo off the bench.

Maybe Coach is saving this line-up for the tourney.............

Go ZAGS

Zag79
03-11-2008, 07:50 PM

Josh
Austin
Michah
Pargo
Bouldin

that lineup with gray, kuso and pendo off the bench to bring more energy and hustle would spell: S-W-E-E-T 16.

spudzag
03-11-2008, 07:56 PM
that lineup with gray, kuso and pendo off the bench to bring more energy and hustle would spell: S-W-E-E-T 16.

If Few won't play Kuso and Josh at the same time, then we should see what Austin and Josh can do together. It was working very well vs. SMC and would be a very difficult matchup especially with Michah at the 3 instead of Gray.

Josh
Austin
Michah
Pargo
Bouldin

That is a case of choose your poison. I'd like to see what 20 minutes per game of this lineup on the floor could do.

I absolutely agree. It is tiem to go with the talent. If the players with the offensive and defensive ability in addition to the desire we are one and done in the tournament.

Seattle_Zag
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I know I am probably in the minority here, but I thought Daye didn't have a very good game. He was taking ill-advised shots and making some bad turnovers. Remember that inbounds that was stolen and then he fouled the SD player for a three point play? If I remember correctly, he had three awful passes that led to turnovers. He took shots outside of the offensive sets and, honestly, I don't blame few for benching him at points during the game. He is still a freshman and I guarantee will learn a lot from these experiences, but I don't think he had a good game last night. That's just my opinion, though.

I will add though that he did bring a great defensive presence.

thickman1
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I will agree that Daye needs to see the court more but one thing to be careful with is with Daye's passion. He seems to get flustered from time to time and there is a fine line you walk when he gets worked up. Either he helps or hurts. I think that Coach Few needs to explore that more this next week and give Austin a little rope to see what he does.

asoc
03-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Can Austin play the 3? He seems athletic enough to me. If we can stick him at the 3 and create that mismatch...

Kuso
Heytvelt
Daye
Bouldin/Gray
Pargo/Bouldin

jim77
03-12-2008, 12:54 AM
I think the lineup will depend on who we play.

Here's my POWER lineup:

Kuso
Heytvelt
Daye
Downs
Pargo

I also think that Kuso would be great at setting screens for Josh...the guy probably sets more than anybody. Pargo also has the ability to penetrate most defenses which means Josh should get some nice looks. This team is currently attempting WAY to many 3's. How about going inside like the old days and drawing fouls.

EngineerZag
03-12-2008, 05:01 AM
I still think that putting Bouldin at the 2 would do wonders. He'd be much more effective and consistent offensively, both in the post and from 3 point range. I like the lineup above.

Josh = 5
Austin = 4
Micah = 3
Bouldin = 2
Pargo = 1