PDA

View Full Version : Pargo was the only Zag who wanted it

zagzilla
03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Continuing a season-long pattern, Jeremy had a big night when we lost. His 22 points were the only positive on offense. He had as many rebounds (5) as Kuso and Josh COMBINED!!!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Pendo was awful tonight
Michah was invisible
BZ needs to start another Matt Bouldin thread
0-10 in 3PT FGA

San Diego is not as good as the team we will face in the second round if we are fortunate enough to get that far.

S.U. Chieftain
03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Pargo was the only Zag who wanted it...
AND KUSO!
Did you see his intensity on defense?
And he shot about 3 for 4.
He's unfortunately limited, but his hustle is second to none.

bartruff1
03-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm not smart enought to know if there is a relationship between his scoring and our losing but it seems like they all stand around and watch when he does that... knowing that even if they move without the ball, they won't get it ? I don't know, sometimes I wish he would get everyone envolved ... on the other hand maybe since they were not getting open he felt he had to take over the offense. They really looked uncomfortable...tight..

VinnyZag
03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I've been perhaps Pargo's biggest booster all year on the board. But I thought today was his worst game -- a lot of bad decisions. But given that nobody else was doing much ...

SteeleMan
03-10-2008, 08:22 PM
so everyone else wanted Grier and USD to win? I highly doubt that.

MedZag
03-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I've been perhaps Pargo's biggest booster all year on the board. But I thought today was his worst game -- a lot of bad decisions. But given that nobody else was doing much ...

Pargo was forcing it a lot more than usual tonight. But it was really a matter of necessity when no one else could hit jack.

Our poor team play forced him into less than perfect decisions, instead of vice versa.

Snagglezag
03-10-2008, 08:26 PM
The rebound differential said it all to me. That USD team played TOUGH and wanted those rebounds more. Boards are all about hustle and desire, but Gonzaga didn't seem to want it enough. I don't mean to single out the entire team (i.e. Pargo & Kuso) but a few players on the team need a head check. Let's move on Zags, we got a whole new ballgame to play very, very soon and once again the opportunity to prove that we are winners.

alaskazagnut
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Kuso had 0, count 'em. ZERO rebounds. They all stood around and waited for the missed shot to land in their hands, then a torerro just runs by and sweeps it out from them. That happen 10 times in this game. They stood and waited for the ball to land rather than running towards it at all times.

speed21
03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
How many wide open looks did we miss as well?

zzzjag
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Micah has to play more then 13 minutes.

As stated previusly, the Reb margin and 3pt (lack of success) shooting were the nails in the coffin.

I am not sure what happened to the D after the 3 shot clock violations. Lack of ball pressure?

Josh is starting to show more game then he has all season. I really thought his 3 pt attempt was in great game flow and would have made a big difference.

I don't think the home crowd was that big an advantage, although there were more USD fans there tonight then against SMC.

alaskazagnut
03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
We shot over 63% from inside the arc and over 71% from the charity stripe. Our team didn't want to run after the ball. They just expected it to land in their hands.

Hextall7388
03-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Here's a silly thought.....

Our biggest problem tonight was rebounding and 3 point shooting. Clearly the guards were not getting it done on the outside, so why not keep Kuso and Heytvelt in at the same time to neutralize Pomare on the glass. Kuso was in foul trouble so perhaps that makes the option moot, but would it have been such a bad idea to try it for a couple of possessions to try to turn the momentum a bit?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Rebounding is a team effort and you can't pin it all on just a couple people. We got burned on the defense glass several times because our bigs had to help out on dribble penetration, which left guys like Pomare free to scoop up the garbage. Also, I noticed when I was watching the game again they were simply in the right plus at the right time on many occasions. Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way, and USD did a great job taking advantage of those extra possessions.

PortlandbasedZag
03-10-2008, 09:40 PM
While I agree with you that Pargo "wanted" it, and that the biggest problem was rebounds and three-point shooting, but man did we forget what happens when pargo tries too hard? Ie remember the beginning of the year??? When pargo tries to do too much, he too often drives wildly towards the hoop and sometimes throws up a great shot, but too often ends up throwing up a wild shot or getting stuck and turning it over or throwing it away. I loved the effort, but once again it didn't quite work. I really hope that we solve the problem because pargo putting the whole team on the back just doesn't work....gonna be a long week in practice for the team!

Zag79
03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
LOL. pargo played a fabulous game barring his 3 tos. gimme a break. josh would be teh top scorer, rebounder and shot blocker if he got bouldin minutes. he has less issues than many of you think. his main issue is lack of PT period. who benches a guy that just knocked down back to back 3s? come on people. as far as rebounding, when you play pargo, matt, gray, and pendo at the same time your going to lose on the boards. no knock on the fellas, just stating my opinion.

TM27
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
How does Pargo take the blame for this? Probably had nothing to do with others laying eggs in an important game, or Few getting outcoached, or USD playing like it was do or die and GU (players and coaches) playing like a safe team.

We got outworked by a team that could smell the end of their season. Congrats to San Diego and especially Billy! WOW USD hit it out of the park with their hire of Grier, who will be a pain in GU's ass for as long as he stays in the WCC.

When is a loss good? Well...never. But this team HAS to bring it every game to be successful, and if this loss gets them to work their tails off throughout next weeks practices, brings back a focus and possibly a "chip", then I would rather have a loss when compared to the cocky, lackadaisical team that played in San Diego this weekend. It begins March 20th and I still believe we have mucho to be excited about.

8/9 seed you say…good put us in the UCLA bracket!!!!!!

GUbu11dogs
03-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Pargo was the only Zag who wanted it...
AND KUSO!
Did you see his intensity on defense?
And he shot about 3 for 4.
He's unfortunately limited, but his hustle is second to none.

I agree... I was discussing this topic after the game and I think Kuso played with the intensity of a winner: fighting for rebounds, laying out for loose balls, and getting some quality put backs. I love when he plays like a savage.

TM27
03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
I agree... I was discussing this topic after the game and I think Kuso played with the intensity of a winner: fighting for rebounds, laying out for loose balls, and getting some quality put backs. I love when he plays like a savage.

I agree Kuso is a winner...but he didnt have a rebound today? Unless I am looking at the wrong box score...so no "put backs" today. But normally that guy is an animal. Limited today by fouls, but I have all the faith in that kid that he will BRING it come the madness that is march!

ZagsGoZags
03-10-2008, 11:20 PM
for those who think Pendo was hustling as he usually does tonight, he got 6 rebounds, and it seemed to me he was diving as much as any zag except Kuso tonight

for those who think Pargo was selfish tonight when driving into the paint, he got nearly half of the whole team's assists (4 of 9)

plus several times we were trying so hard to pass, we 'over-passed' and lost the ball, so I can see why he might hesitate. I thought I saw a pass go right off JH's hand, and another off Kuso's belly tonight, because they weren't ready, or expecting it.

sdzag14
03-10-2008, 11:32 PM
The good news on all of this are that these are still a bunch of kids that are easy to root for. Tough chemistry and lineup decisions this year, no true scoring leader, no dominant inside presence plus more youth on the floor than in the history of Gonzaga basketball possibly. Beat SC by 34 last week and it looks like peak city! Come to USD and can't put the ball in the hoop, not surprising. We haven't played a great game here in SD for years.

Pargo scores 20+ and we lose. Probably works out that way 90% of the time but I'm not sure if it just means that we lose by single digits vs. double digits if he didn't take over the game. He's a big time player and a winner. Had an off game vs. SC on Sunday so there was no doubt he was going to be our player of the game tonight. Just needed more help. Plenty of chances for one of the other guys to step up and hit some outside shots but they didn't. USD plays the Zags as well or better than most WCC teams, even before BG took over. Tough to win win you get one shot at your basket and the other guys get 2 shots at theirs!

siliconzag
03-11-2008, 01:51 AM
We lost the first category 36-23. More critically the ones that hurt were on the defensive end. We let them have way too many put backs.

We topped them in turnovers as well.

And on a couple of occasions after making great stops we jacked up contrived and rushed three pointers that didn't drop before allowing anyone to set up for rebounds.

You know the Chronicle gives grades to the 49ers after every game. I think we got a solid B+ on defense (good news), on offensive execution D. On caring for the ball C-. On Free Throw Shooting B+. On Coaching a gentleman's C would be about right. Rebounding, I think that would be a D-.
On hustle, teamwork and intensity D.

Humility can sometimes be a great motivator. I wonder if Coach is thinking about dropping another candid comment to the SR like he did the year we almost beat Arizona. It worked then...

gamagin
03-11-2008, 08:12 AM
<< Humility can sometimes be a great motivator.>>

well said.

former1dog
03-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Kuso had 0, count 'em. ZERO rebounds. They all stood around and waited for the missed shot to land in their hands, then a torerro just runs by and sweeps it out from them. That happen 10 times in this game. They stood and waited for the ball to land rather than running towards it at all times.

I don't know who the hell keep stats, but I remember very distinctly Kuso getting 2 offensive rebounds and a basket on one possession. It was the most inspiring play in the game for me in a game with very few inspiring plays.

alaskazagnut
03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
have Kuso with zero boards. I would assume that both boxscores come from the same source at the game. Regardless, for the Zags to be outrebounded by 13 rebounds (11 offensive) is sad.

former1dog
03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Regardless, for the Zags to be outrebounded by 13 rebounds (11 offensive) is sad.

Agreed.

ToreroStudent
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Kuso had at least a couple of rebounds. I know that for a fact... Looks like our statisticians were too busy watching the game and cheering rather than taking stats. Shame.

RenoZag
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
USD did to the Zags what we're accustomed to seeing the Zags do to their opponents.

gamagin
03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
we seemed to be snake bit. it wasn't always their hustle (& our lack of same) that got the damned ball back into SDU's hands.

It's as if the big SDU fella (name escapes) had a ball magnet and it sought him out. too many times. He wasn't jumping around, either. It's like he knew where it was coming and was standing there.

reminded me of the flat spot on the parquet floor in boston, where the celtics used to wait to get the ball back from some unsuspecting guy who dribbled over it, only to find the ball wouldn't return to his hand. Celtics get the turnover.

when it came to finishing, however, this guy is among the best I've seen.

also, when he did try to drive with the ball, versus it landing in his hands, Kuso handled him very well, even blocked at least two shots that otherwise would have been converted. Daye blocked him, too, at least once.

We had a few moments of hope. It coulda, shoulda, woulda turned with a little spark, I think. The elements were there.

gamagin
03-11-2008, 03:40 PM
<< USD did to the Zags what we're accustomed to seeing the Zags do to their opponents.>>

You saying we got Zagged ? I agree.

We saw the best of the Zags last night, except the players were wearing SDU uniforms.

We ran into our twin, our mirror image, in the guy who has been toiling, privately, who waited patiently 16 years, for his chance to be in charge, to replicate and even perhaps improve on, what his Zag twin does better than most.

As long as BG's at SDU, the comparison between these two best friends will be his motivation. And Few will have to suffer the same thing every time Grier's lads get the upper hand.

Got to wonder how long this relationship can last under this kind of duress.

S.U. Chieftain
03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't know who the hell keep stats, but I remember very distinctly Kuso getting 2 offensive rebounds and a basket on one possession. It was the most inspiring play in the game for me in a game with very few inspiring plays.

Yes, Kuso had an offensive rebound and putback. He brings so much energy and desire on defense especially!
I am going to miss him and Pendo, who by the way, are the only two I remember hitting the floor last night for loose balls.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-11-2008, 05:14 PM
LOL. pargo played a fabulous game barring his 3 tos. gimme a break. josh would be teh top scorer, rebounder and shot blocker if he got bouldin minutes. he has less issues than many of you think. his main issue is lack of PT period. who benches a guy that just knocked down back to back 3s? come on people. as far as rebounding, when you play pargo, matt, gray, and pendo at the same time your going to lose on the boards. no knock on the fellas, just stating my opinion.

Excellent points. National pundits love to ask what's wrong with Josh, but the reality is that he's getting a lot less PT and overall touches on offense this season. Also, the reality of the matter is that Pendo is more of a 3 than he is a 4. So, as discussed, playing three guards with Pendo at the 4 is not a strong rebounding lineup. I think we have better balance when we play Pendo and Downs at the 3 and the 4, or when we play three guards (JP, MB, and SG) w/ some combination of Kuso, Josh, and Daye.