• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TacomaZAG
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

The 3 guard lineup

needs to be scrapped NOW. Besides the lack of offensive flow with the 3 guard offense (3 man weave), when Pargo, Bouldin, and Gray are on the floor at the same time we are too small to rebound against even sub-par teams. With Pendo undersized at the 4 (he deserves to be in there) we have no size on the floor. When the 3-point shots aren't dropping it compounds the lack of size and puts the team at a horrible disadvantage.

Two horrible games in the WCC Tournament doesn't put a lot of confidence in our chances in the dance. I really thought we would come out tonight with a chip on our shoulder, but it was worse than last night.

I'm just pissed, but that game was excrutiating to watch. San Diego is not a good team and they just kicked our a$#%$# for 40 minutes. If we can't get up for the WCC title game, what's it gonna take.

If Coach continues to stick with the 3 guard offense, we are one and done, unless we somehow find a 60% team stroke from beyond the arc (not likely, based on the past 2 games). The dance is about banging and we can't do that with the 3 guard lineup.

I'm still really looking forward to the dance, but my excitement took a huge body shot tonight.

Sorry for the negativity, but I had to vent. Go ZAGS
  • GonzagaLove
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

Totally agree. Pargo, Gray and Bouldin in together is not working.

I would like to see Kuso and Josh in together for periods of time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4i2TEEgMHM

Comment

• PortlandbasedZag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Nov 2007

I agree completely. Grey pushes Bouldin out of position and neither of them can rebound over thier respective assignments. Grey is a freshman. He HAS HAS HAS to come off the bench and give Bouldin a chance to play the natural 2. We can move Pendo (who seems sometimes as the only person out there trying) to the 3 and Daye as the 4, or have Micah (who played EXCELLENT D, even though his shot wasn;'t falling) play the 3 and pendo the 4. With that 3 guard line up, unless we are playing a small team we are going to get bounced, period.

And where the hell did Grey go????? I was SO excited at the start of the second half when he came out and was aggressive....and then where did he GO??????? DID HE EVEN TAKE ANOTHER SHOT THE ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME???????? IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO CONTRIBUTE GET ON THE PINE!!!! I never saw him dive, and he constantly was one of the guys not getting back in the fast break....I know he is a freshman, and I am being REALLY hard, but I just didn't see a never-say-die attitude from these guys, and if he is going to start then he better find that drive!

ok....I've vented a bit...so COME ON! Lets get fired up for the tourny! You guys are better than this!!!!!! GO ZAGS!

Comment

• Zag79
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

The 3 guard lineup needs to be scrapped NOW. Besides the lack of offensive flow with the 3 guard offense (3 man weave), when Pargo, Bouldin, and Gray are on the floor at the same time we are too small to rebound against even sub-par teams. With Pendo undersized at the 4 (he deserves to be in there) we have no size on the floor. When the 3-point shots aren't dropping it compounds the lack of size and puts the team at a horrible disadvantage.
        great post! the lineup that is the best:

pargo
        bouldin
        pendo
        daye
        josh

that lineup has it all. off the bench, kuso for josh, micah for daye, gray for matt, etc. JHs numbers for his minutes played is outstanding, more pt please.

or have Micah (who played EXCELLENT D, even though his shot wasn;'t falling)
        1-2 is 50%. the dude needs more shots. if your not going to use and maximize his talents its a shame.

Comment

• zzzjag
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

Agreed!

Bouldin is so much more effective as a 2 guard using his strength/height and post up ability. When he shifts to the 3 with Gray in, all of these advantages are met by the opposing teams athletically stronger 3 man. It was clear against the likes of WSU, Tenn and Memphis.

I believe Micah has to play more and start to see the Zags get further. 13 minutes last night? cmon. We are talking about a McDonalds HS all american here!

I would like to see Josh and Kuso get a few minutes in the game together as well. Just about 3-5 minutes mid way through the half would be a nice start.

Comment

• PortlandbasedZag
            Kennel Club Material
            • Nov 2007

And not only does the opposing teams three usually match-up well defensively on Matt, but I think that we lose out height advantage, and even speed advantage with Grey and Bouldin in there at the same time...

Unless we are going to play a small team with a 3 or 4 guard line-up we HAVE to change and get Micah in there...there are too many really athletic threes that can absolutely make Bouldin disappear on offense. PLEASE JUST THIS ONCE MAKE THIS CHANGE !!!

Comment

• TacomaZAG
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

The majority of the minutes

at the 3 should be played by Micah and Austin, IMO. I know both these guys have their limitations (as do all players) but I think our opportunity for success is greater with those guys in there. Coach has played that line-up (Pargo/Gray, Bouldin, Micah, Austin/Pendo, Josh/Kuso) on occasion and I like the versatility it gives us. Also, with that line-up we are better defensively and a much more difficult match-up for our opponent.

Also, we lose no speed with that line-up on the floor.

We better get ready to bang, tourney basketball is physical. We will need all the size we can bring, and the 3 guard line-up, especially with Pendo at the 4, just doesn't give us that.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• Birddog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

There are two things about that lineup that seem like a good idea. First, it puts MB back in a position to be matched against a smaller guard at the 2 where he can more effectively and often post up. That was his and our bread and butter before Gray returned to the lineup after recovering from the injury. Secondly, it brings Gray in for some designated 3 ball shooting for some fire. We used to do this back in the olden days, think Bankhead. Gray can play defense, there is no loss there, probably better'n MB. I'd like to see him get plenty of mins, just off the bench.
                Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                All mimsy were the borogoves,
                And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Working...
                X