free throws Pargo 2, Matt 2, Gray 0
rebounds Pargo 3, Matt 0, Gray 2

it seems to me that Gray is also one of guards having an off night tonight

he does better, by comparison, with

turnovers Pargo 4, Matt 4, Gray 1
and shooting % Pargo 33% Matt 37% and Gray 50%

and I suppose Gray is still in a honeymoon period with all of us

If you are a high profile player, people see your off night better

I love all three players to death, and am not critical of Steven at all, just noting the direction of comments on the threads tonight

I would expect all 3 of them will have a good game tomorrow

CDC84
03-09-2008, 10:49 PM
They need to do a better job of getting Steven more shots. He's on fire right now. Even his misses are going in and out.

ZagsGoZags
03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
agreed
I wish SG was taking as many 3 attempts each game as Matt

Nevtelen
03-10-2008, 12:05 AM
agreed
I wish SG was taking as many 3 attempts each game as Matt

Especially as he's starting. Neither Bouldin nor Grey stepping up early in games = slow start until Micah or Daye comes in or Pargo just drives it in repeatedly. Not necessarily their fault, but something needs to be done about it.

ZagsGoZags
03-10-2008, 07:21 AM
somebody said Pargo was MIA
but his stats were better than Gray's
Matt was 3 for 8 shooting FG's
to some degree it seems all three were MIA's

did anyone notice that Gray had been guarded much more closely by SCU, leaving Matt and Jeremy the open shot more often?
Maybe after Gray going 6 for 7 in 3's the game before, they had clamped down on him. I didn't notice it during the game, but maybe .... that was there game plan.

thickman1
03-10-2008, 08:17 AM
If you free up Gray and he continues to hit it will open up Bouldin and Pendo more as well as the interior. You need to find the hot hand and use it to step on the neck of the opponent. Gray seems to get lost in the flow of the offense from time to time. It'd be nice if they made a conscious effort to look to him tonight.

mdZag23
03-10-2008, 08:21 AM
I think we can pretty much all agree that last night was not a good example of guard play by anyone on that team.

They all looked bored and uninterested!

Thomas_Sutpen
03-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Matt always has a better game when he starts off with mid-range and/or short shots, then extends to the 3. When he starts with the 3, his game will depend on making the first shot (or at least the second).

Few should design a play for early in the game to get Matt a midrange jumper or two.

I agree about Gray getting more shots as well. He should be shooting at least 5 or 6 threes a game.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Its easy to take someone out of their game when you are allowed to hip check, grab, shove and generally abuse the ball handler... and then falling on the change of the wind and get up laughing at the ref when the call the offensive foul.

Refs should have taken better control of that game IMHO. Letting them play as Bardo referred to is IMHO letting them cheat to stay in the game.

All that being said, we were horrid from behind the arc and we getting abused when we went inside.

Robzagnut
03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
>it seems to me that Gray is also one of guards having an off night tonight

I think Gray is taking a backseat to the upper classmen and doesn't look for his shot. Hopefully, next year that will change and he will become more aggressive.

DayeLights on the other hand has no qualms about firing away. :)

Hextall7388
03-10-2008, 03:41 PM
The Zags have 7 players that I would like to see have 6-8 attempts per game (Heytvelt, Bouldin, Gray, Daye, Pendo, Downs and Pargo), the problem is that we do not get enough possession to make it happen. Having so many talented players is a great problem to have though. Personally, I would love to see the Zags really turn it up on the offensive side tonight and really push the ball up the court. In my opinion, the Memphis game was probably the most entertaining game of the year....end-to-end action. Great entertainment. The Zags have more talent, more athleticism and are deeper than San Diego. San Diego plays 5 guys. Last night each of their starting 5 players logged over 40 minutes (B. Johnson played 50 minutes!). Don't forget, they played Saturday night too. If we turn the tempo on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball tonight, I just can't see San Diego keeping up in the second half. We just need to get off to a good start, because you know San Diego is going to come out pumped on their home court.

Dickau43
03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Especially as he's starting. Neither Bouldin nor Grey stepping up early in games = slow start until Micah or Daye comes in or Pargo just drives it in repeatedly. Not necessarily their fault, but something needs to be done about it.

That 'something' would be to have Downs start instead of Gray, wouldn't it? I don't understand why Few has Downs FINISH games but not start them. He's not a guy I necessarily want in at the end of the game for our offense (although he's probably our best perimeter defender not named Larry), but starting him at the 3 allows Bouldin to play the 2 where he seems more comfortable.