PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cougar fans...

dpouley
03-08-2008, 06:05 PM
just stormed the court after beating UW.

Where was that post about the etiquette for storming the court?

For what its worth, the coaches and WSU security forced them back into the stands...but the point is they tried to storm the court after beating the Huskies for what the 7th time in a row?

True class...

SunDevilGolfZag
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Double O.T. win on senior night against arch-rival should tell you something.

dpouley
03-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Double O.T. win on senior night against arch-rival should tell you something.

Is that okay?

If GU had beaten Santa Clara in double OT on senior night would the Kennel Club have stormed the court? I don't think they would.

But maybe I am wrong.

Here are the rules for storming the court that I found: rules (http://extrapolater.com/2007/02/23/storming-the-court-for-dummies/)

It clearly states it is okay to storm the court if you beat your rival in OT, but then goes on to say you should never storm the court if you are a ranked team. Last time I checked WSU was 22 and 23 in each of the polls. UW is barely over .500.

Kaduce
03-08-2008, 06:45 PM
There are no written rules on storming the court. Those seniors single handedly rebuilt the WSU program, and beat the stupid fuskies 7 times in a row. Fans can storm the court if they want, it's their team.

BongKrosby
03-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Before this group of seniors, WSU hopes was a complete joke so them getting on the court to show their support is OK by me. We don't storm the court on senior night because we weren't 11-17 in 2006.

saintzag
03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I agree with DP on this one. No reason to storm the court, with 7 wins in a row,btw it was a rivalry game.

gamagin
03-08-2008, 07:22 PM
storming the court is all there is to do. except perhaps drink and fall down. so let em storm away.

also, if I were in that group, I'd want to get close to and shake the hands of those two great seniors. I love their games.

MedZag
03-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Is that okay?

If GU had beaten Santa Clara in double OT on senior night would the Kennel Club have stormed the court? I don't think they would.

But maybe I am wrong.

Hell we stormed THEIR court after beating them in OT in the tourney a couple years ago. I wouldn't put it past us.

Coug Tracks
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
You really think the students rushed the court because of UW?

Did you see the UCLA players after beating the 9th place team in the league? I guess they were classless as well.

I guess you are forgetting about Morrisson jumping up on tables after buzzer beaters against LMU, USD, or whatever.

These are kids. Let them act like kids as long as they aren't hurting someone else.

Asotin
03-08-2008, 08:16 PM
So rushing the court to celebrate with WSU's greatest senior class ever is classless? Seems like a fitting tribute to those outgoing young men who built that program from the ground up.

Besides I only saw 1 student rush the floor, and when they told him to go back he did. :rolleyes: It was a hard fought game dp, so leave your CLASSLESS armchair bitterness at home.

wiszag
03-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't have a problem with WSU storming the court, it was senior day and they beat their arch rival in OT. Storm away!

On another storming the court note, Wisconsin played Northwestern today and sole possession of the Big Ten title was on the line in Evanston. My buddies and I were debating whether it was proper to storm the court in Evanston. The consensus was that we were hoping that they wouldn't but we wouldn't have been surprised if it happened. Afterall, there seemed to be more Badger fans in attendance than Wildcat fans. Is it okay to storm the court when you clinch the conference championship on the road? I kinda hope not. Thankfully, it didn't happen.

surfmonkey89
03-08-2008, 09:00 PM
A little OT, but according to a poster on the P-I web site, the best sign of the day read:

"Okay…so you’re a
Football (crossed out)
Basketball (crossed out)
Volleyball
School"

Gotta love it

MedZag
03-08-2008, 09:12 PM
A little OT, but according to a poster on the P-I web site, the best sign of the day read:

"Okay…so you’re a
Football (crossed out)
Basketball (crossed out)
Volleyball
School"

Gotta love it

That's definitely one of the best ones I've seen in a while!

zag69
03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Man, if things are going so well that this is all you have to complain about, you're pretty well-off in life. I'd prefer to spend more time thinking about my blessings than worrying about Cougs (one or multitudes) going on to the court after a win.

Spokanicoug
03-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Since when is little brother so concerned with what big brother does?

freezer12
03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Hell we stormed THEIR court after beating them in OT in the tourney a couple years ago. I wouldn't put it past us.

And you were 4th in the nation.

MedZag
03-08-2008, 09:49 PM
The storming the court issue always struck me as the same as the "who's the best conference" issue. A way to fill an afternoon but ultimately pointless rhetoric.

If students are caught up with the emotion of the game, more power to them. It speaks to sports' ability to connect with us on a deep level and make us do irrational and stupid things. Are there sometimes court rushings which make you scratch your head? Sure. But I never understood people who saw this as classless.

I'm not a big fan, because I like to prescribe to the "act like you've been there before" mantra and tend to think of storming the court as an expression of an outcome that was unexpected, but I can understand the feeling students have when they do it.

7ICoug
03-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Only problem with this complete thread is that the students didn't storm the court. The cheerleaders and Rally squad went out onto the court, but not the students, not that it would matter if they had.

The 10,000 plus were still celebrating our seniors 15 minutes later.

Shanachie
03-09-2008, 09:20 AM
True class...

Court storming has never struck me as an issue of class/no class. I think it's more an indication of enthusiasm and passion than anything. Of course, I think it can look silly when fans storm the court after a game the team should have won, but that more clueless than classless.

kjstoph1
03-11-2008, 05:06 AM
just stormed the court after beating UW.

Where was that post about the etiquette for storming the court?

For what its worth, the coaches and WSU security forced them back into the stands...but the point is they tried to storm the court after beating the Huskies for what the 7th time in a row?

True class...

What are you talking about? I was at the game - security didn't 'force' anybody anywhere.

There may have been 2 or 3 kids run onto the court on Saturday. The team gathered at halfcourt and the fans gave them an extended ovation.

From their seats.