PDA

View Full Version : 06-07 WCC. Up year or down year?

TR11Zag
02-06-2007, 06:35 AM
I am still disappointed that Brandon Worthy got hurt. I think LMU would be making quite a run with him.

That being said, I don't see the same level of competition from everyone else.

Your thoughts?

NJZag
02-06-2007, 08:59 AM
I think that the WCC is "up" as far as the difficulty of the out of conference scheduling. The WCC had the #1 SOS among all conferences as of last week's KenPom reporting.

The WCC is "down" as far as not emerging from those encounters with as many wins / upsets as we might all have liked. Most were at opposing or neutral sites. And the losses then dragged down everyone's RPI's, contributing to a disheartening #14 conference-wide RPI.

The injury and/or departure bug has been cruel, with not only Worthy getting injured, but Gerrity (a stellar PG in development who, as a freshman, scared a stronger UConn team last season) and another player departing from Pepperdine after the coaching change, and USF with its various woes with Kellogg (academics) and Surrat (illness) finding "Team Lite" for some of their games.

Since this response is after the LMU loss by the Zags, that coach deserves a lot of credit for working around the loss of a key player and salvaging something from the season with a win over GU.

Overall impression: that #14 ranking is disappointing, when contrasted with the #7 for the WCC of just a couple years ago. We (as a conference) can do better.

TR11Zag
02-06-2007, 08:16 PM
NJZag-

In your opinion....

Does one dominant team help or does it hinder recruiting for the other schools?

NJZag
02-06-2007, 09:48 PM
NJZag-

In your opinion....

Does one dominant team help or does it hinder recruiting for the other schools?

If it "helped" all that much, the one dominant team wouldn't stay dominant for long. Over some span of years (4 - 6 ?) the playing field would level out. That's the "flip" answer.

More thoughtful answer: pro's and con's.

On the help side: raised visibility of all programs is good if the dominant team brings better TV exposure to the table. Exposure is the name of the game for better players, aspiring to next level (NBA or Euro Pro).

On the hurt side: better players are looking to dance in NCAA; one dominant team can hurt recruiting at other member institutions if it's not routinely regarded as a multiple bid conference.