PDA

View Full Version : Grant Gibbs and Linn-Mar in state tourney action

IowaZag
03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Linn-Mar is playing now against a very good Iowa City High team. Iowa City is 23-1, and led by University of Iowa recruit Matt Gatens.

Live gametracker at http://www.iahsaa.org/basketball/08_basketball/xlive.htm

IowaZag
03-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Hour and a half later, Linn-Mar loses to City High 66-46. Both teams played evenly after halftime, but Linn-Mar couldn't overcome being outscored 25-9 in the second quarter.

Gibbs finished with 5 points on 2-6 shooting, with 3 reb, 1 ast, 1 blk. A disappointing end to his high school career, but at least he had one good game in this year's tournament, Wednesday's 15-point, 7-7 day.

His next regular-season game will be in a Gonzaga uniform.

Nevtelen
03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
If you saw the game (or know someone who did), could you tell us how Grant's wrist/injuries seem to be healing? With that stat line, I have to assume there was some effect.

IowaZag
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I didn't see the game, just followed it online. Grant had 5 turnovers, compared to just 1 in the previous game. City High is a solid defensive team with good size. Linn-Mar shot just 32% from the field, and was outrebounded 29-18, so I think it was more good defense than the wrist, especially since he played such a solid game in the quarterfinal Wednesday.

LionPride
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Zag fans,

I was at the game. Yes, the wrist still affected him. The team they played, City High, is easily the best team in the state. They had 4 starters transfer in this year, how convienent, but that is just sour grapes on my part. Grant still had a fairly heavy tape job on the wrist and dribbled more with his left hand. I know that at least two of his turnovers were a result of good passes that his own players did not get to so I would not read too much into the 5 turnovers. I was not at the game on Wed. but I noticed today warminig up one shot would be right on and the next wouldn't be so close. We got behind and the other players started to look to Grant to do to much. He and his team went down fighting! In Iowa they play a 3rd place game so Grant has one more game left tomorrow. Linn-Mar played in this game two years ago and nobody wants to be there. Not the players or fans. What is the diff of finishing 3rd or 4th? Nothing in my book.
Don't question the quality of the recruit based on this game. The fact that he made it back to the level he was today after the nasty fall and break says a lot about the kid. I have watched some awfully good Linn-Mar kids who went on to Div ! teams and Grant, I think has the skills to be better than them all. Time will tell if my opinion is worth much. But, I am sad to see him go and can't wait to see him late night on ESPN next year.

No, I'm not Grant or his agent.;)

BobZag
03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
We'll be happy to see Grant and Meech play their next real games in Gonzaga uniforms. Looking forward to their careers here.

Larrylegend
03-08-2008, 09:54 AM
If Grant is in fact a hybrid Santangelo--Stepp, he'll be a great Zag! Looking forward to his arrival.