PDA

View Full Version : Andy Poling's Westview Wildcats in 6A tourney action today (3/5/08)

ZagNative
03-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Coming up at 7:00 pm tonight, Andy's Westview Wildcats (12-12) meet Sheldon (10-14). 6A Tourney Brackets (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/tournament/401/)

The game will be carried live on 1360 KUIK (http://www.kuik.com/default.asp).

Last post on 2/28/08 (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=176341#post176341), Westview v. Jesuit (Westview lost)

Good Luck Andy! Knock 'em out!
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/pompomr4wr.gif

ZagNative
03-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Well, I can't get that danged online radio to run. Clueless, I am.

ZagNative
03-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Game's on and the link works now. Just joined the game, 2:25 left in the first quarter, 5 t/o's already for the Wildcats, score: 11-10 Westview on top.

Westview's roster per Maxpreps:

1 Josh Hill G
12 Ricky Egger WING
14 Tim Coons WING
22 Garrett Jackson WING, POST
24 Hayes Garrity WING
30 Tyler Klassy WING
32 Terrell Wallace G, WING
34 Ryan Miller WING, POST
51 Sam Haag POST
53 Kyle Oberst POST
54 Andy Poling POST
55 Austin Kuemper POST

ZagNative
03-05-2008, 07:39 PM
At the half, Westview's ahead 31-22. Andy is Westview's leading scorer, with ten points, and he had a couple of blocks as well. Sounds like too many unforced turnovers for the Wildcats, however, coming off sloppy play. We'll see if they clean it up in the second.

ZagNative
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Congrats to Andy and his Westview teammates, as they beat Sheldon by a margin of 18 points, 68-50. Andy had 18 points, and he sat fairly early in the game when Westview was far ahead.

Westview led comfortably for most of the game, by 26 at one point. The radio announcers said it was Westview's best team performance of the year, except for the high number of turnovers, a problem they'll need to address before they meet up with the winner of the Grant-Gresham game in the second round. I believe that game will be at 7:00 on Saturday, March 8.

ZagNative
03-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Correction: The announcers for the game were wrong. the OregonLive.Com (http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianpreps/2008/03/boys_playoff_roundup.html) has Andy's actual stats as follows:
A 24-point advantage in the second and third quarters helped Westview beat visiting Sheldon 68-50. Gonzaga-bound Andy Poling had 22 points, 14 rebounds and five blocked shots for the Wildcats, and Terrell Wallace scored 18 points.... That's more like the tally I kept of points during the game. (Here's the link for the stats, but what's quoted above is all there is about Westview.)

Nice game for Andy!

Grant beat Gresham, so they'll be playing Westview in the next round.

AllezZags
03-06-2008, 08:12 AM
the Westview- Grant game on Saturday will be a good contrast of styles. Grant is guard dominated (they do have a nice front court player in Mike Moser, but he is a skinny 6'7"ish) and Westview has pretty good balance. Andy should have another nice outing (if the guards can get him the ball) as Grant has nobody that has length enough to really bother him. Unfortunately, Grant is streaky and can get really hot. if that happens, Westviews guards wont keep pace. I will be there to watch this one.

Larrylegend
03-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Iím excited about Poling because (hopefully) heíll give GU an inside scoring presence. A Big who can score inside combined with GUís guards and wings should make for an even more potent offense!

roxdoc
03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I will guess that he will not redshirt next year. We are going to need all the help we can get under the basket - even if it comes from an inexperienced Frosh. Either that or we bring in a juco big. This decision might made on the basis if we are fortunate enough to get Taylor.

75Zag
03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Andy needs to redshirt next year. He needs the benefit of a year of GU coaching and strength training. Andy's team (Westview) has had a very challenging year and in my opinion it is due to some questionable coaching. Andy does not have a jump hook shot, which for a big of his size is bizarre. He needs to learn that shot and to be able to bang with Division I guys. Let's not waste a potentially valuable resource.

ZagNative
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Just found this, buried deep in the bowels of The Oregonian's website (http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianpreps/2008/03/metro_league_boys_allleague.html), posted March 04, 2008 15:47PM:

Metro League Boys All-League

First Team
Garrett Sim, sr., Sunset
Andy Poling, sr., Westview
Kevin Sullivan, jr., Southridge
Michael Boswell, sr., Aloha
Ryan Meehan, sr., BeavertonSecond Team
Terrell Wallace. sr. Westview
Travis Madison, sr., Southridge
Greg Shepard, sr., Sunset
Michael Hart, sr., Jesuit
Kyle Wiltjer, fr., Jesuit
Brenton Spickerman, jr., JesuitThird Team
Hayes Garrity, so., Westview
Phillip Campbell, sr., Sunset
Michael Holton, jr., Sunset
Stephen Holt, so., Jesuit
Travis Kinane, sr., Southridge
Garrett Jackson, so., Westview
Spencer Gambee, sr., BeavertonPlayer of the Year -- Garrett Sim, Sunset.
Coach of the Year -- Todd Sherwood, Sunset

Congrats to Andy and to his Westview teammates who made the Metro League First, Second and Third Teams, and to Kyle Wiltjer, for Jesuit, who made second team as a freshman.

ZagNative
03-06-2008, 02:23 PM
75Zag, I am a fan of yours on this board and usually enjoy your posts. However, I'm also hoping to see the Zags maintain a pipeline into Metro League recruits, and I have it on pretty good authority that the staff and team at Westview are big Zag fans. I'm sensitive,l therefore, of unchallenged criticisms that lay blame for Westview's challenges this year at the doorstep of the coaching staff. I am not in a position to challenge your assertion, but I mention for what it's worth that it does not necessarily seem in our best interests to be too casually biting the hand that very well could be feeding us in the future.

PortlandbasedZag
03-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I concur that Andy needs to redshirt. He needs that jump hook and time to put some more weight on and develop his shot better. I think he'd look even more lost than Sacre did at the beginning of the year.
With Daye, Sacre, Heytvelt and some minutes from Foster I think we'd be ok.

I wouldn't mind having a juco transfer, we've had good success with them, but then who goes away? It brings up the same problem with having Taylor (who would be GREAT!) accept our offer. I just feel bad showing someone the door just cause we need some more depth, usually only playing a few minutes a game, in the front-court. I think Daye is going to get alot more minutes next year, and given a good workout schedule over the summer, he should be ok to play next year.

Poling with Meech and Gibbs are the future, and I would love to have them around a few more years and get some exp in practice, rather then make them all compete more for those extremely limited minutes which really may not contribute much next year.

75Zag
03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Re my earlier post, I have watched 6 or 7 games Westview games in person and I don't want to be understood as being overly critical of Westview coaching staff. I have seen a few things and read some blogs, but in the end, I am not qualified to judge!

Andy is a rare talent and I an not sure than anybody in the Metro league has access to in-house coaching staff that can teach a 7 footer how to play under the basket. Few and staff know how to do it based upon prior experience. That's why I want Andy to redshirt.

BC1210is
03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I agree with 75zag, Poling will almost definitely need to redshirt next year to develop. I have seen Westview play a few times this year and feel the same way about the team. Westview has a too much talent to be around 500 this year. They have a some pretty good guards but don't think they do a good job getting Andy the ball. How many other 7 footers are there in high school? I think Andy should be a little more dominant as a big time recruit coming to GU. There is no way a little criticism from a message board will affect Few's ability to get recruits from the Metro League. Lets hope we can be in the running for Wiltjer but it sounds like he may be headed to a bigger BCS school.