PDA

View Full Version : What if you had a vote for WCC POY?

former1dog
03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Who would you vote for? Obviously, this will be difficult on the GU Board to garner objectivity, but as a voter in this poll, try and remove yourself from Zag fandom and vote for who you think was the MVP of the conference season in the WCC.

I put up who I thought were the top 5. If you disagree, write in your candidate.

gu03alum
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I voted for Jeremy because he is the biggest difference maker on the best team in the conference.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I would have voted Diamon Simpson all the way. As it is I would have Pargo and Simpson co-POY

Nevtelen
03-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I think Pargo and Simpson are both very deserving. I voted Pargo in the above poll, but think he and Simpson are essentially a deadlock for the spot - an equally good case could be made for either player. I wish they would have given then co-POYs actually.

a13coach
03-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I voted for Pargo for this reason. I thought about the other coaches and tried to imagine their thinking process when it came to facing the opposition and whom did they fear the most or was most concerned about.
When it came to St. Mary's I am sure they were concerned about Diamon but also Mills, and Golden; SCU-Bryant and Angley; USF-Lowhorn only but rest of the team were so inconsistent...well I will leave it at that; USD-Johnson and Pomare; well you get the picture.
But when it comes to GU a coach had to worry about a handful of guys, and while you were worrying if say Matt was going to post up and abuse your 2 guard or if Micah or Steven were draining 3's or if Josh was going to get back to form, you had to worry if Jeremy was going to take over and just dominate, whether by harassing your PG and forcing bad passes forcing your offense to throw up shots w/little time left on the shot clock, or by kicking in that higher level gear and get to the rack at will, or push the tempo so much that by the last 7 min. of the game you are gassed, or by playing so controlled that he finds the breaks in your defense and gets the assists, or steals, or rebounds, or...leadership.
Yes I think the coaches who voted for Jeremy worried about Jeremy the most. JMHO though. :)

Rubbadub
03-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Just an FYI, Pargo has had the 11th most assists in the nation this year and the only two ahead of him that have played against decent competition are Vasquez from Maryland and Richards from Davidson.

He is peaking at the right time. A couple months ago he was ranked in the 20's-30's and had a decidedly worse a/to ratio.

Angelo Roncalli
03-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Selection of POY is done by the WCC coaches, not by league officials, as is the case with player of the week and player of the month awards. As far as I know, the league doesn't provide the coaches with any guidelines or criteria as to how the POY should be selected--it's up to them.

If I were selecting a POY, I'd look at performance in critical games. The top three positions in the conference were based on performance in just 6 games. None of the top three teams lost to any team that finished fourth or below. One can make the argument on these criteria that playing at Santa Clara, John Bryant didn't play any role in any of the critical games in conference play. On that basis, he's out of the picture for player of the year. His stats--while undeniably excellent--didn't figure in any critical game in conference play.

There were six critical games. The games involving GU, USD and SMC. Each team played four critical games: Gonzaga was 3-1, SMC was 2-2 and USD was 1-3. Who did the most for the critical wins?

Ironically, Pargo had his best stats in the 1 game that GU lost, at SMC, and Simpson had his best stats in one of the two critical games that SMC lost, at GU last Saturday.

So, we're left at looking at how the two performed in their games against USD. Simpson had kind of a clunker game at USD (which SMC lost) and had a solid game (a double double) when SMC beat USD in Moraga . Pargo had a clunker game at USD and a solid game when GU beat USD in Spokane. But GU won both those games.

You can make the argument that the two are distinguished by the fact that Pargo's team won both games against USD, that SMC split with USD (which cost them the league championship), and that Simpson's mediocre game at USD (2-5 shooting, 6 pts, 8 bds) is hence the difference maker when looking at which player contributed more to winning--and not losing--critical games in conference play.

Just one way of looking at it. That said, I would have had no issue with a shared POY between Pargo and Simpson.

Reborn
03-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Pargo.

Why? GU wins WCC conference. POY I think would come from the #1 team in the conference.

To me Pargo seems to have now found himself and his ability to control a game, as well as, how to take a game over. It seems whenever he needs to do the later he is unstoppable right now in the WCC. He seems to be able to take any defender one on one to the hoop. And against St. Mary's, did you see him hit those two beautiful 3 pt's right after the half, which really seemed to give GU control of the game at that point. Also, throughout the 2nd half he really took over the game.

Pargo the Destroyer
03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I voted for Pargo...............Why you ask

BECAUSE I AM A HOMER........THATS WHY!

Plus he deserved it. A person on the SMC fansite says that Simpson should get it because he had to carry his team while Omar Fatham was out, well boo frickin hoo, we didnt have Gray and Josh for a good chunk of our season and where are we now? WCC Champs.

GUbu11dogs
03-05-2008, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=Pargo the Destroyer;180044]I voted for Pargo...............Why you ask

Plus he deserved it.

But does Pargo REALLY deserve it? Trust me, I am all for him being the POY, especially since we won the WCC. BUT do you really feel that Pargo did anything miraculous this season to earn payer of the year? Yeah he had some awesome games, but shouldn't POY be the most consistent and contributing player EVERY game for his team? I don't know if there is anyone in the WCC that accomplished that. I know Pargo is pretty close, but I just don't feel like he DESERVES it.

a13coach
03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
[quote=Pargo the Destroyer;180044]I voted for Pargo...............Why you ask

Plus he deserved it.

But does Pargo REALLY deserve it? Trust me, I am all for him being the POY, especially since we won the WCC. BUT do you really feel that Pargo did anything miraculous this season to earn payer of the year? Yeah he had some awesome games, but shouldn't POY be the most consistent and contributing player EVERY game for his team? I don't know if there is anyone in the WCC that accomplished that. I know Pargo is pretty close, but I just don't feel like he DESERVES it.

More like he EARNED it!

former1dog
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I voted for Byant, because he was statistically dominant both offensively (2nd in PPG and 1st in FG%) and defensively (1st in blocks and defensive rebounds). Furthermore, I felt that he stepped up against the toughest opponents, namely Gonzaga and Saint Mary's.

Nevtelen
03-05-2008, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=Pargo the Destroyer;180044]I voted for Pargo...............Why you ask

Plus he deserved it.

If you think Pargo hasn't been the most consistent contributor on the team then you haven't been watching the games. I doubt you would find anyone on this board who would not agree that Pargo is the MVP of this team. He might not always score the most, but he just controls the game like a pupeteer. No way he doesn't deserve it. You can also make arguments for others, but Pargo was without question DESERVING.

lothar98zag
03-05-2008, 02:06 PM
As a GU fan, I'll vote for a GU player as often as reasonable - meaning I'd vote for Pargo. A reasonable enough vote if the WCC coaches picked him for POY.

(but for this poll I looked at this as an outsider w/ no connection to any WCC team - I picked Bryant, but not by much)