PDA

View Full Version : Downs is heating up

Larrylegend
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Downs’ recent play is one indicator the Zags might make a good tournament run. Here’s what’s he’s done the past 2 games:

SMC: 8 points, 6 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks and Zero turnovers.
Santa Clara: 10 points, 3 boards, 2 assists, 4 steals, 1 swat and 0 turnovers

Micah’s went into a tailspin after getting his bell rung in the Oklahoma game. But just at the right time... he’s coming around. Micah was a McDonald’s
All-American for a reason. This guy excels in many ways and he can flat out score.

Just one encouraging sign Gonzaga might make a lot of noise later this month.

roxdoc
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Right on. Micah is one of those players that do so much behind the scenes - flying around all over the court. He has really been doing that all year, but now he has turned it up. Those numbers tell the tail of a really terrific all round player. Usually his play just gets lost in the love on this board for the latest top scorer. MD is a very very important cog in this wheel.

GO Micah!

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Micah seems to have really found his role on this team. It takes a special attitude and mindset to be an effective player coming off the bench, and Micah seems to have found it. It's great to see him playing well!

Section 116
03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
My heart skipped a beat last night when Micah ran off the court with what turned out to be a dislocated finger, according to today's Spokane Newspaper. It happened at our end of the MAC, it didn't look good, and Micah ran off the court and into the tunnel FAST, in obvious agony. I, along with thousands of others, was greatly relieved to see him back in action. He was treating that hand gingerly upon his return and during the postgame, as he already has a wrapped thumb on the same hand. Don't know much about dislocated fingers but I like to think he'll be rockin and rollin this weekend.

BobZag
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Micah is a lockdown defender and very valuable to the team.

mtzaga
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Anyone who has spent a winter in Butte America has to be tough.

lothar98zag
03-04-2008, 03:44 PM
My heart skipped a beat last night when Micah ran off the court with what turned out to be a dislocated finger, according to today's Spokane Newspaper. It happened at our end of the MAC, it didn't look good, and Micah ran off the court and into the tunnel FAST, in obvious agony. I, along with thousands of others, was greatly relieved to see him back in action. He was treating that hand gingerly upon his return and during the postgame, as he already has a wrapped thumb on the same hand. Don't know much about dislocated fingers but I like to think he'll be rockin and rollin this weekend.
MedZag posted some good info in the game thread last night.

zagzilla
03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
It is his defense that seems to have improved the most lately. That's what is keeping him on the floor and helping him fill up the rest of the stat line.

gamagin
03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Micah and several others have stopped putting so much pressure on themselves and have turned it on their foes, with great success.

It's great to watch. To be a part of it all as a fan

jazzdelmar
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
downs is still the best all round player on the team.....at 6-8 and so athletic, it wd be amazing to see him play the point on a zone D, esp next yr........a good chance to be a great player still before he is done................

Section 116
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Lothar, I went back and found the info from MedZag. If anyone else would like some more info on dislocated fingers as I did, here copied is what MedZag said during last evenings game:

Dislocated fingers are pretty durable. Once you pop that sucker back into the place its typically fine within a day or so (the bones are nicely contoured to the joint and there's 4 tendons total running over the joint - two on your back on your finger and two on your palm side - that hold things is place really well)

As far as basketball related injuries are concerned, its about a 1.5 out of 10. Less than a sprained ankle or hyperextended knee, IMHO.

But yeah, it hurts like the dickens when it happens. Impinges a bunch of nerves that run along there (our hands are the most finely innervated skin of our body for good reason), and the periosteum of the bone that the joint capsule attaches into.

ZagAddict
03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Micah is going to be a key player down the stretch for the Zags... his defending has been nothing less than awesome lately. His wingspan causes so many problems for guards and his footwork has really improved. I'm glad to hear that his finger injury is nothing too serious... it was really a great sign to see him return to the game last night. He is definitely giving his ALL for this TEAM... :)

Go Zags!

john montana
03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I'd play with Downs anyday. He's playing great right now.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Micah and several others have stopped putting so much pressure on themselves and have turned it on their foes, with great success.

It's great to watch. To be a part of it all as a fan

BUMP

gu03alum
03-04-2008, 09:32 PM
That pass fake on the fast break that Micah made yesterday against Santa Clara before he scored the layup was sick. I love watching him drive to the basket; He has so much body control and is able to stop on a dime, go straight up and put up a good shot.

zzzjag
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I love the way he has been playing.

I love that when he misses a 3 (even the deep ones) he doesn't get the 'hook' from the bench.

I bet he (along with others) would post monster stats if playing over 30 min a night.

If he continues to play this way, the Zags go deep in the tourney.

CDC84
03-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Micah looks like a praying mantis when he's defending the ball.

Nevtelen
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Micah looks like a praying mantis when he's defending the ball.

When he shoots, too - he keeps his shooting arm sort of crooked. Makes him look just like a praying mantis. Funky. But, hey, as long as it tickles the twine, I won't complain. :)