PDA

View Full Version : WCC Awards (6 Zags win awards)

Akzag
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
via Meehan (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/)

Player of the Year: Jeremy Pargo (Gonzaga)
Newcomer of the Year: Patty Mills (St. Mary’s)
Coach(es) of the Year: Randy Bennett (St. Mary’s) & Mark Few (Gonzaga)
Defensive Player of the Year: Diamon Simpson (St. Mary’s)

All WCC First Team
Jeremy Pargo (Gonzaga)
Matt Bouldin (Gonzaga)
David Pendergraft (Gonzaga)
Brandon Johnson (San Diego)
Gyno Pomare (San Diego)
Patrick Mills (St. Mary’s)
Diamon Simpson (St. Mary’s)
Dior Lowhorn (USF)
John Bryant (Santa Clara)
Brody Angley (Santa Clara)

ALL-WCC HONORABLE MENTION
Austin Daye, GON
Omar Samhan, SMC
Malcolm Thomas, PEP

All Freshman Team:
Patrick Mills (St. Mary’s)
Austin Daye (Gonzaga)
Rob Jones (San Diego)
Malcolm Thomas (Pepperdine)
Steven Gray (Gonzaga)

Nevtelen
03-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Unsurprised by all but Mills over Lowhorn for NOY. I think Lowhorn deserved it, but Mills was very solid, especially for a freshman.

Congrats Pargo, Bouldin, Pendo (woo-hoo!), Daye, Gray and Few!!

gueastcoast
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Great stuff! Very happy with thisoutcome, esp. Pendo making it and Pargo earning POY. Nice!

Angelo Roncalli
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
2008 WCC ALL-CONFERENCE MEN’S BASKETBALL TEAM ANNOUNCED

Gonzaga’s Jeremy Pargo Selected As WCC Player Of The Year San Bruno, Calif. — Gonzaga junior guard Jeremy Pargo was the driving force behind the Bulldogs’ eighth consecutive WCC regular season title and was rewarded by the league’s head coaches with the WCC Player of the Year award.

Saint Mary’s, enjoying one of the best seasons in program history, landed the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year in junior forward Diamon Simpson, and the WCC’s Newcomer of the Year, in freshman guard Patrick Mills.

Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s battled for the WCC regular season crown down to the final weekend of conference play.

For their coaching efforts, Gonzaga’s Mark Few and Saint Mary’s Randy Bennett were named WCC Co-Coaches of the Year.

Pargo is the eighth consecutive Gonzaga player to earn the conference’s top award. He follows former GU standouts Derek Raivio (2007), Adam Morrison (2006), Ronny Turiaf (2005), Blake Stepp (2004, 2003), Dan Dickau (2002) and Casey Calvary (2001). The Chicago, Ill. native paced the WCC in assists with 6.23 assists per game, while ranking 13th in the league in scoring with 11.8 points per game.

The Gaels, paced by Simpson’s 51 blocks, tallied a WCC-best 160 blocked shots this season, already tying them for the second most in a single season in WCC history (SMC set the record last season with 172).

Simpson is the second Saint Mary’s player to earn the league’s top defensive honor, following Anthony Woodards, who took home the award in 2003.

Mills has had an immediate impact on the Saint Mary’s program, helping the Gaels earn a top 25 ranking for the first time since the 1988-89 season. The Canberra, Australia native ranked second among WCC freshmen in scoring during the regular season, pacing the Gaels with 14.4 points per game. In addition, he led all WCC freshmen in assists (3.47 apg) and steals (1.80 spg).

Few, in his ninth season at the helm of the Gonzaga program, guided the Bulldogs to their eighth consecutive WCC regular season title. The Coach of the Year honor is Few’s seventh overall. He took home the award from 2001-06, and is the only coach in WCC history to earn the award more than four times.

Bennett has guided the Gaels to one of the best seasons in program history. Entering the WCC Tournament, the Gaels own a 25-5 record and have already tied the school record for most wins in a season, set under Bennett in the 2004-05 season. Bennett became the school’s all-time wins leader earlier this season, surpassing James Weaver‘s (1955-62) record that stood for 45 years.

Akzag
03-04-2008, 01:36 PM
To the victors (or the contenders) fo the spoils.

Lowhorn probably deserved the POY / NOY, but ... it normally does go to the top teams.

UberZagFan
03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
So Pargo it is! Congrats!!!

btw, anyone think we could get another thread going on this topic? What happened to the thread merging talents of our mods?

lothar98zag
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Congrats to all that were honored!

(and to a few more that I'm sure were almost honored)

fedwayzag
03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Congrats to all. Well deserved

Once and Future Zag
03-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Congrats to all honored by the WCC - I'm sure there were some hard decisions made to come up with this list and not being named does not diminish the accomplishments of anyone not on the list.

MickMick
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Congrats to all. Well deserved
Agreed

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Congrats to all the award winners!!

That's amazing to think that a Zag has been conference player of the year for the past eight seasons! Wow!

IronLions
03-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Congrats to all the honored Zags...however Orlando Johnson deserves to be on the All freshman team over Grey or Jones. Not to mention Shelly of Pepperdine. :mad:

lothar98zag
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Congrats to all the honored Zags...however Orlando Johnson deserves to be on the All freshman team over Grey or Jones. Not to mention Shelly of Pepperdine. :mad:
w/ all the quality freshmen this year (or is it a lack of quality SO,JR, & SR?), the WCC could have expanded the all-frosh team by 3 or so players and nobody would have complained...

Akzag
03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
w/ all the quality freshmen this year (or is it a lack of quality SO,JR, & SR?), the WCC could have expanded the all-frosh team by 3 or so players and nobody would have complained...

Agreed ... this year, an all-freshman WCC team could give the rest of the league's all conference team a good run.

sittingon50
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM
As always, for entertaining reading, go to the WCC Forum, click on the ewe ess eff site, & take notes. It'll make you smarter!

surfmonkey89
03-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm sure Daye would've been a first teamer if Few would've played him more. What was he thinking?

:)

zagzilla
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Most pleased for Pendo. Sort of a lifetime achievement award for him from the other coaches

surfmonkey89
03-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Zagzilla, please don't take offense as this is directed at several folks that have commented similarly over the year(s).

Pendo is not some dude that is on the short bus that everyone feels sorry for.

He sometimes gets into tough matchups due to the fact that he's a bit of a tweener size-wise, but look at the guy's stats. He's been awesome this year, and imo deserved this honor.

I look forward to the day he leaves early from his law practice to attend the game where we lift #25 to the rafters.

Kudos Rooster!

rennis
03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I look forward to the day he leaves early from his law practice to attend the game where we lift #25 to the rafters.

Kudos Rooster!

while I don't think we should be retiring his number I certainly think he earned a spot in the GU Hall of Fame.

Way to go David.

surfmonkey89
03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
I didn't realize there was a difference between the HoF and retiring a number.

I'm fine with the HoF only, in case the administration's waiting on my opinion.

:D

bartruff1
03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm sure Daye would've been a first teamer if Few would've played him more. What was he thinking?

:)Winning

ZagAddict
03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I couldn't have been more pleased with how the WCC recognized Pargo, Pendo, Bouldin, and Coach Few.

Pargo deserved the WCC Player Of The Year Award. He led a Gonzaga team that fought hard in the conference and ultimately came out on top... his game went to another level once he entered conference games. He has become a complete package at the guard position...

I was most happy to see Pendo on the 1st Team WCC selection. Obviously other coaches recognized his importance to this Zag team. His leadership, dedication, and determination are things that you just can't attach a number to...

This was one of coach Few's finest jobs as a head coach. He has grown so much as a head coach over the past year... from Heytvelt, to incorporating freshman, to utilizing depth, and dealing with a multitude of injuries this year. I'm especially happy that Few was recognized for his outstanding work this year...

Congrats to Bouldin as well... I love the fact that he just plays his heart out each and every game. He is really beginning to play within himself... as Pargo became more of a complete guard, Bouldin seemed to settle into his role as well. It's great to see that he is playing his best basketball towards the end of the season...

Let's keep the awards rolling in... next up are the WCC Tournament Awards... and then the NCAA Tournament Awards. I would love to see a couple of Zags on the All-NCAA Tournament Team ;)

ToreroStudent
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
No offense to any of the award winning coaches, but I really do think that Grier deserved the coach of the year award. I don't know what goes into picking that, but someone who puts a brand new motion offense into a team that simply ran the fast break last year and come out 18-13 (10-3) without any seniors...thats pretty remarkable. But hey, congrats to the winning coaches. They did a great job. I just think that Grier did a better one with the pieces at hand.

Nevtelen
03-04-2008, 10:51 PM
The coaches vote on these awards, right? I'll bet Few voted for Grier. I agree that this was a great coaching job by Few as well. And Bennett, no doubt. But I honestly agree with you TorrerroStudent - Grier should have taken that award this year. What he's done at USD so far is pretty impressive - he had some great pieces to work with, but USD lost a lot last year.

FuManShoes
03-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Wow. I'm pretty stunned the Zags cleaned up like this. It seemed the WCC was getting a little sick of the GU show and this year, at least, had some legit alternatives for POY and COY. That said, what a testament to this program. The beat goes on. This has been one of the quietest dominant league campaigns the Zags have ever waged. They were a few stops and a few bad calls from going undefeated in a league that finally featured a few tough rivals. Congrats to all the guys on their great league season. I'm happiest for Pendo, and must, once again, say I TOLD YOU SO. The dude is an incredibly solid and consistent basketball player who is nearly always in the right place to make the right play. It's fantastic that WCC coaches recognized those qualities from a guy who isn't nearly as flashy as some of the other league greats.

MedZag
03-04-2008, 11:42 PM
The coaches vote on these awards, right? I'll bet Few voted for Grier. I agree that this was a great coaching job by Few as well. And Bennett, no doubt. But I honestly agree with you TorrerroStudent - Grier should have taken that award this year. What he's done at USD so far is pretty impressive - he had some great pieces to work with, but USD lost a lot last year.

Second these sentiments.

REALLY really happy for Jeremy and David.

CDC84
03-05-2008, 08:59 AM
FWIW....I still feel that the WCC should select a 5 man 1st and 2nd team instead of a 10 man first team. I just don't understand why the league continues to do this.

lothar98zag
03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
No offense to any of the award winning coaches, but I really do think that Grier deserved the coach of the year award. I don't know what goes into picking that, but someone who puts a brand new motion offense into a team that simply ran the fast break last year and come out 18-13 (10-3) without any seniors...thats pretty remarkable. But hey, congrats to the winning coaches. They did a great job. I just think that Grier did a better one with the pieces at hand.
It's possible the voting for the coaches award was:

Few - 3
Bennett - 3
Grier - 2

...who knows...

gamagin
03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
should have gotten honorable mention, imo. He broke a lot of strong wills underneath. And discouraged the rest. Game after game.

Like that basf ad, he didn't cause the GU win, he made the GU win & this championship possible.

a13coach
03-05-2008, 09:47 AM
It's possible the voting for the coaches award was:

Few - 3
Bennett - 3
Grier - 2

...who knows...

Few probably voted for Billy, Sutton probably for Few, Grier votes for Few, Keating probably Bennett, and Bennett maybe Few. That leaves Reveno, Tention, Bridgeland for the deciding votes.

sittingon50
03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Bridgeland voted for Wahlberg & Tention voted for Evans.

That leaves Reveno.

GUbu11dogs
03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm glad Austin only got honorable mention. I think he was hyped a little too much this year, and I think that will help shrink his head a little.

D Hark 2003
03-09-2008, 03:58 PM
It was a tought one to call, i thought grier could easily win it, but few and that other guy were definitely deserving of the award