PDA

View Full Version : An idea for #25

CarolinaZagFan
03-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I have an idea how we can make sure people always remember #25.

I play baseball for ECU, and our longtime coach (LeClair) passed away a few years ago. Anyways, we honor his #23 jersey every year by letting the player on the team who shows the most sportsmanship and hustle wear #23 for the season.

I think this would be a great way to honor Pendo. Instead of hanging his jersey in the rafters, every year honor him by giving #25 to the person with the most hustle, sportsmanship, and will do whatever it takes for the team to win. What do ya'll think?

FuManShoes
03-04-2008, 10:09 AM
An interesting idea, but when does the team decide who has earned Pendo's jersey number? Do summer scrimages and practices offer enough evidence of who the team's glue-guy is?

CarolinaZagFan
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Yes, we always have a ceremony 2-3 days before the season starts. But, ours is always an upperclassman, so you pretty much know by then.

zag buddy
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I like it. That would give incentive and reconition to the players for going above and beyond what is expected of them.

IrishZag
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Thats a cool thought and could be a great tradition. Some players are pretty particular about their numbers though and I think it forces to much of a direct comparisson between players.

In the beginning of the year I thought that it would be nice to name the hustle stat board after Pendo. This is the board that calculates blocks, steals, and rebounds. Maybe give it some more Pendo flavor by adding floor burns, charges, and fouls attributed to hair color.

mdZag23
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
the Univ. of Montana uses #37 for this type of award. I believe it was started by Don Reed and still in place today.

rawkmandale
03-04-2008, 03:03 PM
I've heard that Gonzaga Prep uses number 34 in football in similar fashion. Once you earn it, you keep it for your career. It's then up for grabs in the next season.

GoBulldogs
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM
I would think if we were going to use #25 to recognize anyone for toughness and heart, it would be in honor of Mike Nilson. (no offense to Pendo)

sittingon50
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I wouls say they both did it proud.

BSUBronco74
03-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Gobulldogs said:

"I would think if we were going to use #25 to recognize anyone for toughness and heart, it would be in honor of Mike Nilson. (no offense to Pendo)"

I wouls say they both did it proud.

I didn't realize that Nilson also wore #25, so that is an excellent point by GoBulldogs and Fitty.

ya gotta admit that Pendo is one helluva good "country ballplayer" (also snake-hunter & bass fisherman), and he has made all of us here in the OK country very proud. I enjoyed seeing his teammates wearing the "Pendo's Posse" shirts, and I hope someone has a pic of Bouldin wearing the "We are Brewster" shirt that was mentioned in another post.

Over the years basketball has been big up here in the Okanogan. Every now and then the OK country produces a ballplayer. Would have to say that Pendo tops that list. His uncle Donny McCormack was one too. Hopefully there will be another one soon.

rennis
03-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Nilson is also a rabid Pearl Jam fan, and thus gets my vote. No offense Pendo. :D

I was telling my girlfriend how tough it was to watch those 5 guys walk off the court in 2000. I got teary when Mike kissed the floor.

sittingon50
03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Please don't quote me when I muff a word. This is particularly bad when I called a Gael fan on it just a few days ago. :explode:

scrooner
03-05-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm hoping Brock is the next #25.

gamagin
03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
my guess is our Zags know who has worn their particular number in previous seasons.

Many teams have a whole ceremony for the very purpose of letting the newbies know exactly who preceeded them and wore that particular number.

If that somehow is not the case at GU, it should be. And Pendo and Nilson, imo, are both big enough to warrant & share mention and the honors.