PDA

View Full Version : WCC , NCAA'S & the Zags'

gamagin
03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
march through March.

Just about everyone on this fine GUB has gnashed teeth and wailed and uttered lamentations they likely would like to take back after what has transpired; how well this team seems to have brought it all back together, on time and on schedule for the postseason.

To me, it's time to stop the self-flagellation and some of the too-high praise, also. Treat those two imposters both the same.

For what we have here as a well set-table. Momentum. Possibilities that have been elevated by the hard work and hands of our own program, the coaches and the players. And even us fans have been part of this, I believe.

We have our team health, an excellent team attitude, but only a very few weeks of intense competition to see what we really have in the way of a national contender. It's been a seemingly long time getting here, but it will be a really short time before it's all settled.

There's never enough time or improvement. Not even among the championship teams. But among the champions, those who keep winning, there is simply less criticism because they just keep winning. That's what the Zags have done.

But imiprovement is a fluid, never ending, thing. It continues. The best teams seem to create more opportunistic moments, then string them together, enough to win in the one and done style of playoff basketball.

The good news, imo, is the Zags seem to have this gift of adjustment and it hopefully will reveal itself, as it has recently, each game for the rest of this season.

We still need a lot of luck, continued good health and smaller mood and performance swings as the slack tightens and the competition stiffens and the line gets shorter. But everything of real importance, that we need to do and can do, to keep winning, is in front of us. It's in our hands.

It is great, needed and necessary even, to enjoy the current moment. And the SMU & SCU games, imo, were as much a beginning as an end to the home appearances of our beloved GU icons, Pendo and Kuso.

But the second, real, beginning is the final run. What they have all been working for and appear to be well positioned to enter with a fighting chance.

This is also the last chance to take the new, cohesive force that is developing game to game, and accelerate the rythmn necessary to take full advantage of the situation -- more often than the other guys do. Over and over for 40 minutes, each and every time.

Our transition team has transitioned. Where once there were notes, there now is music. A whole orchestra. In synch.

The game of minutes and p.t. now switches to a game of split second decisions and capitalizing more often than the other guys on the teamwork, action and reactions to each and every situation.

Only at warp speed with fewer mistakes tolerated, against the best collegiate athletes on the planet, under a whole lot more pressure. The good news is we've been there many times and we've been in the hunt nearly every time.

We've beaten some of the best and lost to some, too, but we KNOW we can beat anyone right now. And right now is here.

With our drastic reduction in turnovers and our drastic increase in rebounds, plus a much more intensive, smothering, defensive effort, I think we have the keys to OUR game pretty well set.

Q: But well set for what ?

A: For what Pendo and Kuso said before the recent runs over SMC and SCU is THEIR goal. They didn't shout it out. they just said it and then went out and gave us a demonstration of what they were talking about. And what the team, too, is talking about.

For what they and the team and staff and everyone involved delivered as a clear signal re: what they are thinking about and planning and showing vis a vis the execution we all witnessed is this:

Pendo: "Our goal is to win the NCAA championship. It's just a matter of going out and doing it. This is a new season right now and there will be no holds barred. It's a great atmosphere. The biggest stage in college basketball and it's everyone's dream."

Kuso: "We want to to make it to the final 4 and win it all. The past couple of months we've been getting closer We know what it will take. We like our chances."

If the SMC & SCU games are any indication, and they certainly look to be key indicators of the changes taking place on this team, I like this goal and I like our chances, too.

Go Zags !

BobZag
03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Amen.

The Zags are looking like Carl Lewis in the last 30 meters of a 100 meter dash, or Secretariat in the homestretch of The Belmont.

Continue this momentum into the tourneys and...you never know...

Ziggy
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Good gosh almighty gamagin, I sure hope you're a coach somewhere! This kind of insight and encouragement should not be wasted. Make this "Bulletin Board Material" for the Zags. Required reading!

rennis
03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
great post.

Colbyspapa
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I can't remember a team of ours jelling this well at the perfect time of the year. There is no question, the Zags are playing their best ball NOW!!!!

It reminds me of the 1999 team and how they really started playing well in the WCC tourney.

pbriz
03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Amen.

The Zags are looking like Carl Lewis in the last 30 meters of a 100 meter dash, or Secretariat in the homestretch of The Belmont.

Continue this momentum into the tourneys and...you never know...

Wow this board sounds alot like last summer doesnt it?

zagfaninmt
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Nice post, gamagin. I like our chances too.

gamagin
03-04-2008, 12:42 PM
<< Wow this board sounds alot like last summer doesnt it? >>

I hope not. I don't think so. A goal, which is actually within reach, versus a wish which is just that long before practice even begins, are quite different.

no ?

gamagin
03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
<< The Zags are looking like Carl Lewis in the last 30 meters of a 100 meter dash, or Secretariat in the homestretch of The Belmont. >>

I like the Lewis analysis. as for horses, maybe Seabiscuit ?

gueastcoast
03-05-2008, 10:13 AM
BZ is spot-on with Secretariat. Take 2:24 (a world record) and watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMCpW1goAlE

This still gives me chills. The statement, in phases as the race goes on:

I'm better than you; I'm going to show you how much better I am; I'm the best that ever was; I have transcended all that has come before.

A little grandiose, yes, but that's what inspiration is all about.

ZigZagSoCal
03-05-2008, 10:48 AM
This is beautiful. Thanks gamagin! And to think I get to see them live this weekend and hopefully down the street in Anaheim when the dance begins.

Go Zags GO!!!

gamagin
03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks the notes.

I thought the description of this (Seabiscuit) match race pretty much parallels our season, including returning from an injury.

Perhaps it does up to now, and Secretariat takes it forward. I sure hope so.

best regards,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVT2MPNCqgM

gueastcoast
03-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Ah, thanks for that, one of my favorites and also apt -- like two great boxers going head to head. Hopefully just like us winning the national championship in OT...

East Coast

gamagin
03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
<< This is beautiful. . . . And to think I get to see them live this weekend and hopefully down the street in Anaheim when the dance begins. >>

T-n-x your note. You ARE really lucky to be in the neighborhood as the Zags and the rest of the world descend on SoCal.

Most of us fans, many season ticket holders, too, who will remain in Spokane, will be counting on you and the rest of theZag Nation to light up the Golden State for us.

I hope you have as much fun watching the live action as I have up to now. I predict you will come away with alot of great impressions.

I hope, too, that you will find the time to share some of them with your Zag family here on the GUB.

best regards and GO Zags !

LynetteG
03-05-2008, 07:57 PM
BZ is spot-on with Secretariat. Take 2:24 (a world record) and watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMCpW1goAlE

This still gives me chills. The statement, in phases as the race goes on:

thank you for posting this! as a lover of horse racing (and daughter of a thoroughbred race horse trainer) i can't get enough of watching greatness and history!

ZagsGoZags
03-05-2008, 09:45 PM
what fun !!
you never know what will be next on this board
my favorite still, I think is the 9 part series on Rony Turiaff

hondo46
03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks Gamagin, just beautifully written. Next time we are having a beer or 2 I'm going to spend more time listening.

gamagin
03-06-2008, 09:50 AM
tns. Do please fill us locals in on the off-camera action during the WCC. For that matter, would love to see what you think it will take to keep growing and competing for these guys.

And a cheescake review would be nice, too, as I remember reading there is one in particular in San Diego that has you hooked.

best regards,