PDA

View Full Version : This team is peaking!!!

23dpg
03-03-2008, 10:38 PM
All year long I've read threads asking, "when is this team going to play up to their potential." I've got an answer for you. NOW, at the perfect time.

former1dog
03-03-2008, 10:43 PM
+1

(5 stars :D )

VinnyZag
03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
By the way, that was against Santa Clara, not LMU or San Francisco. I'm not saying 'Clara is North Carolina, but that was a decent college basketball team they just ran out of the gym.

Zag4Hire
03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
The gang looked really loose. They seemed to play with a certain edge, pass with vigor, and shoot with determination. I really appreciated Mr. Zag going out in style and those shirts were very awesome. I really appreciated seeing such a great smile from a great player and a great person from Kuso.

And I love the grit of Downs. His finger was pointing towards the Moon and yet he still wanted in an easy victory. I don't care what seed we get come tourney time because I expect this team to be an absolute wrecking ball for people's brackets who can't stay up a little later for a treat past their bedtime in other time zones.

ebayzagfan
03-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Let the wrecking ball start swingin'!

What a great idea for another t-shirt? Picture a regional bracket with a big old iron ball swinging from a crane!

Zag4Hire
03-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Let the wrecking ball start swingin'!

What a great idea for another t-shirt? Picture a regional bracket with a big old iron ball swinging from a crane!

:lmao:

I could only imagine showing up to watch a game at a sports bar wearing that shirt and get some faces. It would be funny though but I meant more as fans who seem to only count teams in the Top 10 as legitimate contenders, year in and year out. BTW I would wear that with pride!

ebayzagfan
03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Stephen (don't call me Steven) Bardo opined during the telecast tonight he wouldn't be surprised to see the Zags as a 4 or 5 seed. I'm hoping we aren't seeded that high as we seem to play better with a little chip on our shoulder. So give us a 7 seed so we can say "Are you dissin' me?"

Much depends on our performance in the WCC tourney, but after what we are seeing now, I expect the Zags to bring on a lot of pain to whoever tries to stand in their way.

23dpg
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Win the tourney and I think GU does get a 5. That's about right, not too high, not too low.

El Voce
03-03-2008, 11:34 PM
This peaking late is a new thing for our Zags, and seems to be working out quite well. The rotation is super solid right now, and everyone in the rotation seems to know their role.

These past two games our Zags played extremely well on both ends of the court. If the Zags continue to play with the passion and precision they showed this weekend, then the good times will be rollin' in the Big Dance.

ZagsGoZags
03-04-2008, 01:16 AM
The whole season has been a growing pain, where we won a respectable amount anyway, and now here is what is at hand:

chemistry
gelling
clicking together
peaking
the mystery of when we would come together has been answered
playing a system, not individuals

we weren't sure it would happen this season, maybe having to wait until the Fall, and look, here it is

SCU never gave up and neither did St Mary's
we have our work to do now, that's for sure
no time for gloating after about Wed.

MickMick
03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I can dig up some old posts to back this up: BobZag and CDC kept trying to reassure us that the Zags were still improving. That unlike many other teams, they had not hit the ceiling yet.

I didn't quite believe them. I believed that all teams improve during the course of a season and I doubted that the Zags could improve at a faster rate than other post season bound teams. As recent as a couple of games ago (vs Portland) I thought that there wasn't enough time left in the season for the Zags to turn it around offensively.

I happily admit I was wrong. Not only is this the best Zag offense I have seen this season, but I have to go back to the Texas game last year to recall the offense working this well.

Coach Few is a genius. All this argument among us about rotations......the best sight I saw last night was five great players waiting at the scorers table, ready to relieve the five on the floor that were completely dominating the opposition. The first true sense for me that this team is deep and talented beyond imagination.

EngineerZag
03-04-2008, 09:09 AM
I think this is the best "TEAM" we've ever had. Can you imagine being an opposing coach planning for a game? Who do you try to stop? Lock down any of our players offensively and they'll just dish to someone else for easy buckets. I love the balance and the team first spirit of this year's squad.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have this year's team than the team with Ammo, as good as he was.

CanadZag
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
What was with the offense last night? It was like we were 5 on 3 at times. Open shots everywhere. And it was against Santa Clara, not rpi 300+ Portland. There has to be some merit in that.

We've had the D playing strong all year (especially considering our past track record), but the O is really starting to rev up, the scary thing is that we've still got a couple of gears left too.

Bring on the Tourneys Baby!!!

Nevtelen
03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't want to be a wet blanket - the past couple of games have been fantastic in terms of how the offense is working, but lets not pretend it's something it might not be. The team was very focused going into the St Mary's game, which lends itself to producing a game where everyone plays very well and the offense clicks. SCU was totally lost out there without Angley and possibly could not have beaten LMU. I want to be as excited as everyone else - and, yes, I agree the offense looked fantastic - but lets wait until the WCC tourney to say the team is peaking. If they sustain this play for another couple of games, THEN I'll be convinced.

IMO, the keys have been the inside-out play. Even if Josh hasn't been a scoring machine yet, he's been doubled consistently (though ont always) after recieving the ball and has teams worried about him, which has really helped ease pressure on the perimiter. Not sure if this is what is helping Matt break his slump or not, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

HillBillyZag
03-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Just about everyone on the board including HBZ, has been wondering when the 07-08 version of the Zags would begin to live up to the hype and the perhaps unrealistic expectations we saddled them with at seasons start. I am happy to say that over the last couple of weeks and especially the last two games we can see that time is NOW! Josh is showing signs of his old fire,Kuso has improved his offense and stepped up his defense. Rob & Will are improving, Our frosh are battle tested,both AD and Stephen are refining their already considerable skills and buying into the system. Pendo & Micah are warriors, leading by example. Jeremy has become a "field general" plus souping up his scoring moves in the process and Matt is playing like we all knew he could, shooting the lights out. LG is providing valuable minutes and the entire squad is contributing.This team is peaking at exactly the right time
and IMHO this is going to be a fun time at the "Big Dance". So fasten your seat belts, sit back and lets get ready to "roll"! Go Zags!!

FuManShoes
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Nev makes some good points. SCU was playing with one hand tied behind its back. GU has three capable ball-handlers, while SCU has Angley and virtually no one else. Once he was knocked out of the game, SCU was never going to be able to do anything offensively, apologies to the mighty Gunderson.

That said, the Zags showed some great focus. They consistently found the open man, made the extra pass (Micah especially seems to be making great decisions with the ball -- bounce passes, wrap-around passes, ball fakes, all sorts of good stuff that shows maturity in his game).

I think all the Zags are hitting their stride, but to go far in March, X-man Josh has to step it up to another level. I don't fault his effort -- he's clearly trying hard out there -- but some of the decisions are perplexing. He's been getting rejected by guys he should have an advantage over. It seems he keeps turning right into defenders and trying to shoot through them rather than over or around them. Maybe he's trying to draw contact. It's not working. Most of the blocks have been clean, and guys don't even have to leave their feet. Hopefully the next couple weeks give Josh even more time to get his springs and confidence back. Zag Nation is counting on it!

rennis
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I agree somewhat...two games does not a season make, but the level they played at this weekend is highly encouraging. This is the best I've felt about GU bball since halftime of the UCLA game 2 years ago...

UberZagFan
03-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Call me crazy, but I'd rather have this year's team than the team with Ammo, as good as he was.

EngineerZag: You're Crazy!

As for the peaking, what do they say about momentum in baseball? It's only as a good as today's starting pitcher?

It's great to see the team playing like this, but it wasn't more than a week ago when Uber sat down in his seat at the Chiles Center and watched GU proceed to score 5 points in the first 8 minutes. In addition to Nevtelen's comments, let's not forget these past two games were in K2. Uber wants to see this same urgency and consistency when GU plays next week in the slim gym!

229SintoZag
03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
EngineerZag: You're Crazy!

As for the peaking, what do they say about momentum in baseball? It's only as a good as today's starting pitcher?

It's great to see the team playing like this, but it wasn't more than a week ago when Uber sat down in his seat at the Chiles Center and watched GU proceed to score 5 points in the first 8 minutes. In addition to Nevtelen's comments, let's not forget these past two games were in K2. Uber wants to see this same urgency and consistency when GU plays next week in the slim gym!

This sounds good Uber, but those of us who WERE there at the Chiles Center know better.

Here's reality: Uber and his posse missed the first 10 minutes of the first half, as they somehow struggled to make it from the bar at the Kennedy School to the Chiles Center.

I dare you to deny this.

UberZagFan
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
This sounds good Uber, but those of us who WERE there at the Chiles Center know better.

Here's reality: Uber and his posse missed the first 10 minutes of the first half, as they somehow struggled to make it from the bar at the Kennedy School to the Chiles Center.

I dare you to deny this.

We did not miss the first 10 minutes! Only about the first 8! And when our tix were scanned the score was 8-5 though it was in double digits by the time we got to our seats.

And Uber will definitely deny he was at the bar at the Kennedy School--it was the Broadway Brewery and Grill which was offering $2.00 pints on Mondays and then it was some tavern on Lombard street after that. So there!

tobizag
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Win the tourney and I think GU does get a 5. That's about right, not too high, not too low.

i'd rather have a 6 or a 7 than a 5. history says that 5 seeds are doomed.

D Hark 2003
03-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Seven seeds are nice spots to end up. I would take a seven over a five if we get placed in a location close to washington... That way we can have a pro-zag crowd and get a home court feeling. We will see though, cant look past the wcc tourny. We need to win that so we arent an at large bid with a 10 or 12 seed, although we have done well from the 10 spot.

When it comes to peaking at the right time, i hope what we saw these last two games was peaking and not just one or two guys being hot shooters from deep. I do like the improved play of josh. He looks to be playing with more intensity and passion lately. All good things, I wouldnt start crowning our asses yet though. Santa Clara was without the one guy on their team who can handle the ball and slow down pargo. So I hope we are peaking at the right time, but i still want to see more from heytvelt against solid bigs and i want to see Bouldin consistently scoring around 15 a game

Zag365
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
The gang looked really loose. They seemed to play with a certain edge, pass with vigor, and shoot with determination.

And I don't care what seed we get come tourney time because I expect this team to be an absolute wrecking ball for people's brackets who can't stay up a little later for a treat past their bedtime in other time zones.

Absolutely agree. In this homestand, the offense showed an aggressive, confident attitude instead of playing hot-potato with the ball. No longer depending on Pargo alone to create a shot. Everyone is looking to get open and shoot the ball. No more "please somebody else take a shot" mentality. The Zags in the past have thrived on the ability to score any time either from inside or outside and for any player to go off if someone else is double-teamed. I think this team is there.

ZagAddict
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Year in and year out, Few continues to completely amaze me... I believe he is the top "coach" in the country. He continually develops players that come into his program, and gets the most from them.

WOW... thank you again Coach Few :D

zag67
03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I agree with you ZagAddict. Few is a super coach with a great set of assistants. Utah does not realize what they gave up. The timing worked for us. Grier left and he stepped in without a loss of a beat. He molded with the rest of the coaches. I have to say that the defense this year is the best that I have seen from a GU team and the offense is hopefully getting into gear. Thank you Mr. Few.

I just want to thank everyone associated with the team (and also the womens team). The players have been fun to watch and see them grow. They have grown as a team with some fantastic chemistry. Players have been hurt and others step in and take over.

Josh has done a fantastic job recouping and coming back from last year. He still has a long ways to go, but the last 2 weeks have shown a super improvement. Micah has shown even more than I had ever expected. I knew that he could be a great shooter, but he is doing the other things to make the team better. Pendo, and Kuso were the super seniors and Pargo has improved as a team player more than I thought was possible in one year. In fact all of the players have been doing their job to make the team better.