• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarolinaZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

Few's best coaching job ever???

I know there have been a lot of threads on here recently about Few's greatness, but I don't think we can praise this man enough for all he's done for this program.

However, after all he's done I think this might be the best coaching job Few's ever done. I think we all agree that this is GU's deepest team ever, and arguably most talented team ever. He has done an absolutely amazing job getting all of the players to buy into his system, leave all egos at the door, and work together for the good of the program. What appeared like a blessing (Our depth) could easily have turned into a major problem, if he didn't find a way to get everyone involved and give everyone a role. With the number of good players we have, with another coach this team could have easily imploded.

I would just like to thank him for finding a way to make everyone happy (so it seems) with only 40 minutes to share. Also, he has this team peaking at the right time, rather than in November-December as we have done in the past. We have a special one, and I certainly can't name 5 coaches I'd rather have.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Having to get by without 2 of his top players for most of the non-league sked (which is always tough for GU) was a major accomplishment.

Comment

• dpouley
      Kennel Club
      • Feb 2007

2002-2003

I think that the year that the Zags lost Dan Dickau, so the year after his Senior year was a pretty impressive coaching job. 2002-2003

That year that had lost their All American and while Stepp was good, he was not as good as Dickau. Ronnie was young, the team was young and there were times that year where it was unclear whether GU would make the tourney. The team failed to win the WCC tournament, and yet still made the tournament, then upset Cinn. and then they went on to the Arizona double OT game, I think that was a great coaching accomplishment for Few.

This year was very good, but I think that year was his best.

Comment

• zagfan07
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Oct 2007

I would have to argue that last season was his best coaching job. Although this year he may have the toughest time keeping everyone happy on the court, the off the court issues from last year could have easily derailed the season completely. The fact that he was able to rally the players around one another after the incident and still come away with a regular season and tournament championship was remarkable.
        GU Class of '07

Comment

• Nevtelen
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I love that there are so many solid arguments to be made for different years for Few's best coaching job ever. That's what shows he's doing such a stellar job - hat's off to the coaches!

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

The season isn't complete yet.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Robzagnut
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

>I would have to argue that last season was his best coaching job.

I agree. Last year after the Josh incident. That team wasn't deep nor as talented as this years team.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Agreed

Especially with the injuries to key players early in the year. Some of the decisions throughout the year have been a mystery to me, but the reasoning behind the decisions is becoming clear, with the coaching staff pushing all the right buttons throughout the campaign and getting the team peaking at the right time.

I always get excited as March Madness rolls around, but even more so this year as the team is peaking at the perfect time.

Coach Few and his staff have done a great job this year, as in all the previous years, but to get this group of talented players to accept their roles and play as a unit is a testament to his ability.

The present and future look very bright in Zagland.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Fews done a great job this year, along with all assistants. However, the work isn't complete yet, and I believe he needs to take this team to the Elite 8 in order for it to be his greatest year ever. Good luck COACH.
                  Last edited by Reborn; 03-03-2008, 05:16 PM.
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• gamagin
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Few's best

is yet to come, imo.
                    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• 75Zag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Time for a Cold Beer and Valium

Before you tear down the statue of Jesus behind the Ad building and erect a statue of Mark Few in its place, don't you think that perhaps a Final Four or a National Championship would be in order?

So far in 2008, we have a 23-6 team with an RPI of about 30 which will get to the NCAA and should be seeded 6 or better if they don't screw the pooch at the WCC tournament. GU is not on anybody's power 16 ranking so far as I know.

I doubt Mark Few would nominate himself for a lifetime achievement award on that record, and neither would I.
                      Do not go gentle into that good night,
                      Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                      Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• lothar98zag
                        PostPadder General
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                        The season isn't complete yet.
                        youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• ebayzagfan
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Jan 2008

Team Positioned for Bigger Things ...

There have been a number of years where the Zags played their best ball in Dec or Jan, only to be a one-trick pony in the Big Dance. I don't get that feeling this year ... the momentum definitely is building as more and more of the guys are really getting comfortable with their roles. The 5 turnovers against a good St Mary's team is solid evidence of that improvement. Turnovers were a real problem for us earlier in the year (not that many games ago in fact).

I think this could be Coach Few's best performance ... but final judgment comes in a few weeks. (The fact is he has never had what you could even call a mediocre year here.)

Comment

Working...
                          X