PDA

View Full Version : WCC Player of the year?

dpouley
03-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Who does everyone think will be the WCC player of the year?

I think that this is an incredibly tough year to predict (mainly because there is no stand out Zag that will win the award hands down.)

I think that a case could be made for Pargo, even though his statistics are not as big as some others in the league, what he brings to this team is irreplaceable and truly should get recognition as a dominant player in this league.

However, after Saturday's game, I would tend to lean towards Simpson, I think that even if GU wins the WCC the play of SMC this year has been one of the National stories of the year not just in the conference and I think that Simpson showed that when his team needs him he absolutely can carry his team. His performance was very impressive.

What are other peoples thoughts? Bryant, The Aussie, ???

Zagdawg
03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Simpson-- hands down.

CarolinaZagFan
03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Gotta go with Pargo....his numbers are pretty good, and he means wayyyy more than numbers to this team.

Nevtelen
03-03-2008, 08:48 AM
I think both Pargo and Simpson are deserving, but its pretty much always given to a player who is on the team that wins the conference (or is percieved to win it). That means Pargo. With the selection of the some of the SCU players last season, the WCC showed that it can recognize players whose stats aren't gaudy but who mean a lot to their team.

Psychozag
03-03-2008, 09:08 AM
The most valuable player on any WCC team is Bryant at SCU. Don't think he will get it due to the 4th place finish...probably will go to Simpson (and I think deservedly so). An argument could be made for Lowhorn being MVP, but even he can't get any wins for USF.

jim77
03-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Pargo is a close second.....Simpson has had an incredible performances. His game against Kent ST was impressive. ST. Mary's would not be in the dance if weren't for Diamon..the guy is a GAMER!

cjm720
03-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Simpson will win, no doubt. Pargo's second, with more to prove next year.

ZaggyStardust
03-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Perhaps Simpson and Pargo as Co's like they did last year with Rav and what's his face!

El Voce
03-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I posted on my "Occam's Razor" thread a couple weeks ago, that down the stretch there has been no better player in the WCC than Jeremy Pargo. Going into Saturday night's game, I believed that the POY would go to either Diamon Simpson or Pargo, depending on which team won the game. I will stay with that thought. Having said that, I will be fine with it if Simpson wins, because he is a very classy player. A dual award would be great.

kitzbuel
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
My money is on Simpson. He has played well enough to be a legitimate contender for the honor and picking him helps spread the post-season award wealth.

Pomare and Mills can both give Pargo and Simpson runs based on Player of the Week Awards, though Mills probably is out of contention because he has the freshman award locked up.

75Zag
03-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Simpson gets it this year. Pargo gets it next year unless Pargo gets beaten out by another GU player (Daye?).

former1dog
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Pomare and Mills can both give Pargo and Simpson runs based on Player of the Week Awards, though Mills probably is out of contention because he has the freshman award locked up.

Mills would be in competition for Newcomer of the Year against the likes of Lowhorn and maybe Daye. I don't believe there exists a Freshman of the year award.

tobizag
03-03-2008, 10:00 AM
i think pargo is deserving as he throws his team on his back night in and night out, and has lead his team to the top of the conference. he makes everyone around him better.

Robzagnut
03-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Most Valuable: Co Simpson/Pargo
Defensive: Simpson
Newcomer: Mills
Coach: Bennett

kitzbuel
03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Mills would be in competition for Newcomer of the Year against the likes of Lowhorn and maybe Daye. I don't believe there exists a Freshman of the year award.
Thanks, I was trying to find that on the WCC site. Since it is layed out so well and is so organized it was easy to find that information (NOT!)

former1dog
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I would love for Pargo to get it.

Honestly, though, Simpson or Bryant deserve it just as much. Considering St. Mary's exceptional record this year, my money would be on him.

former1dog
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Most Valuable: Co Simpson/Pargo
Newcomer: Mills
Coach: Bennett

Good one. I think I might vote Lowhorn for Newcomer, but I wouldn't quarrel with Mills if he got it.

I think if Daye would have gotten more consistent playing time, he would have had a real shot as well.

ZagSlug
03-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Pargo or Simpson

I think they are pretty evenly matched, both have taken over games and carried their team this year. Both guys can really fill out a stat line and are team leaders. I would probably go with the point guard if I had to pick one player and if GU finishes alone as WCC champions he will probably get it. Simpson could have scored a lot more but they are better balanced since Mills started running the show.

Lowhorn has been a beast and Bryant has been solid, they are top in the WC in scoring and are near or at the top in rebounds but I cannot remember the last time the POY wasn't from one of the top 2 teams.

Was it Andre Dawson with the Cubs?

CDC84
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
The MVP of this league almost always comes from the team that wins the regular season title. Either that, or a player from the conference champion splits the MVP with a player from another team that finished near the top of the standings (like D-Rav and SCU's Denison last year).

I think it is fundamentally wrong to give a MVP award, outright, to a player on a team that didn't win the league title.

I would be highly surprised if Pargo either doesn't win the MVP outright or splits it with a player like Simpson.

GUbu11dogs
03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Pargo is a great pick due to playing with the winning team and having an above average season, but Simpson is also a great pick due to sheer performance. Therefore, I think we are going to see another CO-MVP this year.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
MVP: Simpson, but would love to see it be shared with Pargo
Newcomer: Lowhorn, Mills leveled off in the second-half of the season.
Coach: Billy Grier, hands down.

zag944
03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I believe the way that it works is each of the 8 coaches submits a player from their team and votes for one of the other 7 players.

It is probably between Simpson and Pargo, so I wouldnt be suprised if the GU and SMC votes go to Bryant or Johnson to help their players out. I would also assume that Pargo will get the Billy Grier vote.

Id be fine with Simpson, Pago, or a split between the 2.

I was not fine with the split last year, with voters just voting for the SCU player because of what the team accomplished with a balanced starting lineup. When you are playing to your stats in the game you get eliminated from the WCC tourney and the announcer calls you "practically a non factor" that says a lot. Raivio deserved it to himself in my opinion.

Reborn
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Jeremy Pargo. He showed it on Saturday and will show it tonight as well, and in the tournament. What an awesome season for Jeremy in so many ways. Not only in scoring when we needed him, but what about his assists. He was 10th in the USA on Saturday.

DoggieDogpound
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
MVP: Simpson, but would love to see it be shared with Pargo
Newcomer: Lowhorn, Mills leveled off in the second-half of the season.
Coach: Billy Grier, hands down.

Agree - that's the way I see it too.

Nevtelen
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I already posted that I think Pargo should win it (though I'd be okay with Simpson considering the year he's had), but my other picks are:

Coach: Bennett (Grier and Few both close seconds)

Newcomer: Lowhorn, no question at all. Mills was solid and had a much better supporting cast, but Lowhorn pretty much single-handedly totally carried his team through a crazy season.

Defensive: Simpson (solid, plus breaking the SMC all-time blocks record and counting)

Robzagnut
03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
>Coach: Billy Grier, hands down.

Possibly, but SD is barely above .500, while Bennett has had Saint Marys in the Top 25 for much of the year.

Need to take the 'homer' glasses off for a little while. :)

Nevtelen
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Maybe, but think about where USD was last year and where they are this year. WORLD of difference. Even though they lost some very big contributors in DeRogatis and Cohen. That's some SOLID coaching.

mgadfly
03-03-2008, 01:39 PM
My nominees:
John Bryant, Santa Clara, 17.7 p, 9.5 r, 58.6% FG, 2.2 b
Pros: Leads the conference in points, rebounds, blocked shots and field goal percentage.
Cons: Plays for fourth place team.

Jeremy Pargo, Gonzaga, 11.9 p, 3.5 r, 6.4 a, 1.5 s, 3.3 to, 48.9% FG
Pros: Best player on the best team. Leads the WCC in assists per game, efficient field goal percentage and plays good defense.
Cons: Poor outside shooter (below 30%), only averages 12 per game.

Brandon Johnson, San Diego, 16.9 p, 3.9 r, 3.2 a, 2.1 s, 3.4 to, 37.1% 3FG
Pros: Second in points, second in steals, good ball handler, good outside shooting, strong rebounder for guard.
Cons: Plays for 3rd place team, didnít show up for most recent Zags game (2-15 shooting)

Diamon Simpson, Saint Maryís, 12.2 p, 9.1 r, 1.4 s, 2.3 to, 55.7% FG
Pros: Most dominant player on second place team, scores well, played big in biggest games, second in rebounds, efficient scorer
Cons: Disappeared at times, 12.2 p is good but not great

Others:
Brody Angley (Santa Clara) 13 p, 4.3 r, 4.6 a, 1.5 s
Patty Mills (Saint Maryís) 14.8 p, 3.6 a, 1.9 s
Matt Bouldin (Gonzaga) 13.1 p, 3.8 r, 2.9 a, 1.4 s, (only 2.3 to)
Malcolm Thomas (Pepperdine) 13.2 p, 8.7 r, 54.3% FG
Dior Lowhorn (Pepperdine) 20.8 p, 7.4 r, 49.4% FG
Omar Samhan (Saint Maryís) 11.9 p, 7.9 r

I'd give it to Bryant. How often does a player lead the conference in points, rebounds, blocks, and field goal percentage, and not win the award. I know, he doesn't play for the either of the top teams.

sittingon50
03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I have no idea if they have any set criteria, but based on WCC #'s only, I think it has to be Bryant.

westcoasthoops101
03-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Possibly, but SD is barely above .500, while Bennett has had Saint Marys in the Top 25 for much of the year.

I wouldn't call 17-13 (and about to be 18-13) "barely" above .500. The way that USD has come along this year has been very, very impressive. I would definitely give Grier the Coach of the Year award.

UberZagFan
03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
The MVP of this league almost always comes from the team that wins the regular season title. Either that, or a player from the conference champion splits the MVP with a player from another team that finished near the top of the standings (like D-Rav and SCU's Denison last year).

I think it is fundamentally wrong to give a MVP award, outright, to a player on a team that didn't win the league title.

Uber disagrees with this statement. A dominant player from a top tier team should receive consideration. With that, Uber likes this candicacy:

My nominees:
John Bryant, Santa Clara, 17.7 p, 9.5 r, 58.6% FG, 2.2 b
Pros: Leads the conference in points, rebounds, blocked shots and field goal percentage.
Cons: Plays for fourth place team.

In addition to the above, according to kenpom.com Bryant had an eFG % of 60+ and an offensive rating of 110+ despite using over 32% of his teams possession while in the game (5th in nation) and 37% of shots taken (4th in nation). Essentially, everyone knew where the ball was going and there wasn't much anyone could do or did to stop him. And not only did he lead the conference in rebounding, he was second in the nation in defensive rebounding percentage, and the next closest to him in blocks is 11 behind. By the way, his blocks would have set a record for GU.

As much as Uber would like to see Pargo get the nod and as well as Simpson played, neither of them did enough across the board to deny Bryant his due.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Not being a homer on this at all.

Just look at where he brought them to from where they started. They beat Kentucky in Kentucky... down year or not, that isn't easy to do. They had a rough start, without a doubt, but they have more than finished strong.

Keep in mind that it likely took them until mid-December to truly get and buy into the system. Few and Bennett had the goods at the beginning of the season and teams that knew and bought into the systems they run. Grier wasn't afforded that luxury. Outside of a major collapse tonight against LMU they should finish the season at 11-3. IMHO for a first year coach that is not bad, especially with two teams that are in or hovering around the top 25 in the country.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Pargo because he is the best player on the conference champs (If we tie, then the award should be shared with Simpson)

lothar98zag
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
If it's the same as last year, the WCC awards will be announced today - around lunchtime (PST)

You can go to the WCC website, if you want, but most likely the results will be posted here seconds after the announcement...

UberZagFan
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
As much as Uber would like to see Pargo get the nod and as well as Simpson played, neither of them did enough across the board to deny Bryant his due.

Nevermind.

former1dog
03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Nevermind.

You're taking it back? Is it because of last night?

Dude nearly had a double double anyway, with a couple blocks. I wouldn't knock Bryant out of the conversation because of last night's game.

Once and Future Zag
03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't knock the Man-Mountain out of the conversation, but being limited to half-production by the combo of a raw freshman, a tenacious - but slightly undersized - center, and 75% of Josh Heytvelt is not very impressive either...

former1dog
03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't knock the Man-Mountain out of the conversation, but being limited to half-production by the combo of a raw freshman, a tenacious - but slightly undersized - center, and 75% of Josh Heytvelt is not very impressive either...

The fact that Angley didn't play would have an influence on Bryant's production, IMO.

zag944
03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
most of the time it works out where the best teams have had the best players, but I by no means think it is a necessity to give it to the best player on the best team. Teams can be built evenly, in which case it is difficult to recognize one player to such a level without recognizing the other. The second or third place team may have a player that stands out more, in which case it is fine to vote for him.

If its going to go entirely based on who has the best record then there shouldn't even be a vote. It should just be whichever candidate Few submits. That would be rather lame.