SCU Pregame Stories for 3/3/08 (Meehan's Blog and Whatever)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

SCU Pregame Stories for 3/3/08 (Meehan's Blog and Whatever)

First on my deck, Jim Meehan. (Bolding added for my "Ahhhh! faves":
    Sophomore guard Matt Bouldin rattled off three reasons why Gonzaga should be highly motivated for tonight’s regular-season finale against Santa Clara.

“They beat us here last year, it’s Senior Night and we sure don’t want to share this thing,” Bouldin said.

To expound, Bouldin is referring to Santa Clara ending Gonzaga’s 50-game home winning streak last season, tonight will be the home sendoff for seniors David Pendergraft and Abdullahi Kuso, and the Bulldogs need a win to claim an outright West Coast Conference championship.

Gonzaga (23-6, 12-1 WCC) defeated Saint Mary’s 88-76 on Saturday to clinch at least a share of the conference championship for the eighth straight season. The Gaels would share the title with a win over Portland tonight and a Gonzaga loss.

“A lot of people ask me what do you have to do to be motivated for this game, especially after (Saturday’s) game was so hyped,” junior guard Jeremy Pargo said. “Just think about what those guys did to us last year. They were up 20 in this building after we’d won 50 in a row. They beat us. We can’t let that happen again.”

It almost happened a month ago at Santa Clara. The Broncos (14-14, 6-7) had a two-point lead and possession of the ball, but Gonzaga’s Steven Gray deflected a long inbounds pass, gathered the ball near the sideline and was inexplicably fouled by Brody Angley in the backcourt with 0.3 seconds left. Gray made two free throws to force overtime and Gonzaga eventually won 87-82 in double OT.
    unior center John Bryant, who had just nine points while being limited to 19 minutes because of foul problems Saturday, is averaging 18.2 points and 9.6 boards, just barely in front of Saint Mary’s Diamon Simpson as the WCC’s top rebounder. Bryant had 22 points and Angley scored 28 in the first meeting with Gonzaga.

“It was a thriller down there, they gave us all we could handle and we were lucky to escape with a win,” Bulldogs coach Mark Few said. “Obviously there is going to be lots of emotion (on Senior Night). We’re going to have to channel our emotions.”

Pendergraft, a co-captain with Pargo, hasn’t missed a game in his four seasons. During that time, Gonzaga has gone 101-26 with four WCC titles. In two seasons at GU, Kuso has made nearly 55 percent of his shots, averaged 4.4 rebounds and blocked 74 shots, seventh on the school’s all-time list.

“I want ‘Pendo’ to play great,” said freshman Austin Daye, who shares the ‘4’ position with Pendergraft and is Pendergraft’s roommate on road trips. “I hope for him that he accomplishes all the things he wanted to do coming to Gonzaga. I just hope Pendo and Kuso have a great game.”

Bouldin echoed Daye’s thoughts. Regarding Pendergraft, Bouldin said, “He embodies everything that is a Zag. I didn’t know what that was coming in, but I do now. Kuso is a warrior. You see that every night.”

Daye

Austin is such a great kid, not an ounce of selfishness in him.

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hondo46 View Post
      Austin is such a great kid, not an ounce of selfishness in him.
      Agreed! I hope we can put that issue to bed.

Comment

• GonzagaGurl08
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2007

I hope that Austin has been soaking up Pendo's knowledge etc. I think Austin could be the next ZAG in the making. He certainly has the best mentor possible.
        " 'Damn! I made a lot of stupid – and you can quote me on this – stupid-ass plays. Man, that's gross. But at least we got the win.' " -Jeremy Pargo

Comment

• Birddog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Which is it? or do they sleep one guy on the floor.
          Pendo has been my roomy on the road and I have good guys around me."
          Kuso from the TV show last night.

“I want ‘Pendo’ to play great,” said freshman Austin Daye, who shares the ‘4’ position with Pendergraft and is Pendergraft’s roommate on road trips.
          From Meehan's blog
          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
          All mimsy were the borogoves,
          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Bird,

I think Daye is one of Pendo's regular roomies and Kuso is his roomie on the road. But, what do I know?

Comment

• SteelCityZag
              Kennel Club Material
              • Aug 2007

Call me a nut, but I'd like to see Big Will log some minutes against Bryant if he's having his way inside. You can push Big Will around a bit, but you still have to shoot overtop 7'4" + God knows the kid's wingspan. Good timing on blocking shots too. Think about how he did against that Aussie big from WSU...what's his name?

I'm not the guy that thinks Foster should play minutes in every game right now. He's not ready. But this matchup. He could come up big.

Comment

• Birddog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Big Will logged a few minutes at the end of the first half vs SCU last time and effectively kept Bryant at bay. Will was able to box him out and keep him out although he was only in there for maybe 2 mins. I was impressed with just how strong Will is and the leverage he had.
                Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                All mimsy were the borogoves,
                And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Working...
                X